topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Be the author of a scientific paper  (Read 10390 times)

jared1999

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Be the author of a scientific paper
« on: August 18, 2006, 12:28 PM »
This generator does a remarkable job of creating a scientific paper with the proper structure while containing gibberish. The result certainly feels like some of the papers I had to struggle through at university :D

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/

(This find was shamelessly stolen from kimsnarf, who found it here:
http://glinden.blogs...-spam-at-airweb.html)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Be the author of a scientific paper
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 12:57 PM »
I've seen that before, BUT they've since added videotapes of them giving a fake talk at a fake conference session  ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOVE IT  ;D ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:02 AM »
i just finished watching the video of this.
if you are in academia you owe it to yourself to watch the video they added of their fake talk.. you'll recognize all the mannerisms and adlibs that people give while presenting a talk, but this time the material is completely made up and nonsense.  Great fun.  :Thmbsup:

Direct Link to High Quality (80mb!) Avi: http://pdos.csail.mi...ear_science_high.avi

mycaps Screenshot - 001 , 04_05_AM , Aug 19 2006.png
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 04:07 AM by mouser »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:51 PM »
OMG, that is so funny, and I remember the news reports of this story. The PowerPoint slides are funny, too. The first tip is non-peer reviewed papers, and thus the reason for peer review in science.

rxantos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Makes you wonder about the intelligence of today's scientific community.

Most "scientist" of today, are just scholars, and not researchers, they just blindly cite another persons work (that normally just cited another one previous work,), instead of doing the research themselves. 

In today's world penicillin would have never being discovered, as its discovery was the result of a laboratory mistake, and thus they would have thrown the cultive in the garbage instead of wondering why the fungus was killing the bacteria.

My guess i that too much scholarly, makes you think more rigidly. And since genius is seeing what all people have seeing before and from it thinking what no one have tough before, it makes you more intelligent, but less wise.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Going to have to completely disagree with you there rxantos, I don't think there is any evidence of such a thing thankfully. This instance was different, it was the commercial side of bogus conferences and doesn't reflect either reputable conferences or journals where peer reviews are tough and thorough.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Most "scientist" of today, are just scholars, and not researchers, they just blindly cite another persons work (that normally just cited another one previous work,), instead of doing the research themselves.

What do you base this perspective upon? If this were true, scientific discovery would long ago have ground to a halt...