Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 17, 2014, 10:39:52 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Zap reader  (Read 5720 times)
mukestar
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 17, 2006, 09:58:27 PM »

http://www.zapreader.com/

This is sooo simple, but so cool im actually using it to read T&C agreements at 835 WPM, with total comprehension (well as much comprehension you can get with a T&C agreement. (i think any faster my head will explode like the bloke in scanners).

Basically grab a load of text, past it in the browser, and instead of having your eyes have to scan left to right, it just plonks the text out on work at a time, fat speed.

It sounds crap i know, just try it.

brotherS
Master of Good Ideas
Honorary Member

To make a difference, be different.

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:59:23 AM »

Wow, this is really great! Thanks!!

This is sooo simple, but so cool im actually using it to read T&C agreements at 835 WPM, with total comprehension (well as much comprehension you can get with a T&C agreement. (i think any faster my head will explode like the bloke in scanners).
Grin

Thank you.
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:18:03 AM »

I came across this only now and it's good. Here's a IRC convo on it:

[16:13] <srikat> try http://www.zapreader.com/
[16:14] <srikat> I have been testing it since half an hour. Looks like it really makes me intake content faster than normal reading
[16:20] <app> omg...you actually like that?
[16:20] <app> that conflicts with my reading style
[16:20] <app> i don't read 1 word at a time
[16:21] <bro|thr_S> srikat: o.O wow, looks great!!
[16:21] <bro|thr_S> srikat: I *listen* to some knowledge-based radio shows at ~180% of the speed too, so this might work for me smiley
[16:22] <srikat> app: you can set the no. of words it shows you per frame
[16:22] <srikat> I set the speed to 325 and no. of words to 2
[16:22] <app> i am kind of a natural speed reader
[16:23] <srikat> The author said in the screencast, he uses 600 and 2
[16:23] <srikat> now that's really fast
[16:24] <app> kind of makes it hard to visually scan diagonally through a paragraph though
[16:24] <srikat> ya, this is not for most web surfing activities where we scan
[16:24] <bro|thr_S> it should have keyboard control, like GoogleMail and http://www.rememberthemilk.com/
[16:24] <srikat> this is for those articles that we really want to read, every word
[16:25] <srikat> bro|thr_S: it uses few keyboard controls currently. 'p' to play/pause; 'l' to skip to nxt line, 'k' to previous line etc.
[16:25] <app> only thing i read every word is technical stuff where i am reading it to learn something
[16:26] <bro|thr_S> srikat: ah, thanks

noutters
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:41:12 PM »

And now is the time to introduce my Autohotkey version of this cool reading technique. As you'll notice, I slightly improved it. Thmbsup

The GUI looks like:

Check the whole story and more pictures at: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77893#77893

Cheers,

noutters
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:13:14 PM »

very cool  thumbs up
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 04:14:39 AM »

noutters - I like your script very much and hope that you will develop it a little further based upon the suggestions here and on the AHK Forum.
noutters
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 04:40:21 AM »

I hope you'll find this new version of SpeedReader more polished than the initial one.
I changed the GUI and provide a slider for the reading speed. Up to 1000 wpm for *VERY* fast readers  tongue
The user may select to see 1, 2 or 3 words at a time.

Snapshot:

The URLs of the source and the compiled exe are unchanged.

Cheers,

noutters
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 08:33:14 AM »

Yay! You made some good changes.

One tiny bug I noticed... if the text is paused, you can't escape out of it (at present you must unpause and then escape).

Here are some further suggestions...

• Ability to specify font and font size
  • Ability to specify foreground and background colour
  • Ability to change settings whilst paused (eg Drop from 2 words to 1 word)
  • Ability to run full screen to remove all the distraction of other windows
  • Option to change pause duration at punctuation

Hope you keep up the great work as this seems like a nicer little application.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 09:07:50 AM »

is this a good time to remind people to send some credits with a nice note to people when you see them doing something on the forum that you want to show support for?
Mark0
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:04:33 AM »

Wow, amazing reading experience!

Thank you!

Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 04:27:16 AM »

Was using SpeedReader today to scan quickly through a long article, and noticed that the only punctuation mark that is recognised is a full stop / period / "."

If you do get around to updating the program at any point, could you add the ability to recognise other common punctuation...

Perhaps discriminate between long pauses and shorter pauses...

LONG = . ; : ...
SHORTER = , ( ) -

Or whatever you feel is appropriate to improve understandability.

Ampa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.02 ]