topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: podcast recording application? (dictation?)  (Read 6128 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
podcast recording application? (dictation?)
« on: August 17, 2006, 12:45 PM »
Is there any application designed for podcast/dictation?

I'm currently testing goldwave, to insert cue point and title during recording.
alt+e, then o - enter - n, and type title

What I need:
Something that operates on mp3s and cue points directly (goldwave uses wav).
It needs to save a new file everytime I stop talking (and ask me for file name)
shortcuts to play all files, go to next, rewind, rewrite parts maybe.
assignable shortcuts (or really easy ones), preferably only one key.
(say, space to start/stop recording).

if the list of foles (or cue points) is always viewable, so much better.

big applications such as adobe audio do too much (old cool edit).

a bit like windows sound recorder, but not so limited!

I have seen dictation buddy, but it sucks and cost a fortune!

for those of you who do podcasts...
You may see why I need this... I got a good mic but still a long way to go in
terms of usability of the damn thing.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: podcast recording application? (dictation?)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 01:17 PM »
I don't want to be one of those people who don't answer your question, but I have a feeling that's where my response will go  ;)

I don't think there's a shortcut around doing a podcast.  I mean, a podcast is just recorded audio.  You need an application that can record audio and edit it.  How much editing power you need depends on you.  That's really it.

For example, I record my part of the DC podcasts on my minidisc recorder.  Then, if I don't do anything else, I'm done.  I can just upload my wav or mp3 file.  But since I like to have my music going in the background, I need a program that can layer audio files and tweak it a little (fade-in, fade-out, volume control, etc.).  Since I am familiar with Cubase, I just use that for it.  Maybe other wav editing programs can do it also, like Wavelab or Sound Forge, but I don't know how they handle multiple tracks.

I'm sure Goldwave is good enough for most purposes, but it doesn't have nearly the power and control of Cubase or more professional audio editing packages.  I know there are also a couple of freeware apps like CUbase, but I forgot their names. 

It sounds like you're looking for a program that not only records, but also has some fancy playback/authoring features.  I don't know of anything like this, but a package like Cubase allows you to do it, but perhaps not in the exact way you described.  In Cubase, you can record a whole bunch of tracks with multiple segments in each track.  You can move each audio segment around with the mouse...it's pretty flexible.  It's all one file, but each part can be extracted, or the whole processed version can also be extracted as a mixdown.

Like I said, I don't think there's a good shortcut.

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:15 PM »
My replies going to be similar to Superboyac.

Generally all audio editing software use exactly the same methods to edit, the layouts, the tool funtions etc, all based on the late 70`s DAW`s.

Now, looking at your specifics, it looks like your looking for some "auto takes" system. The best auto take system ive come across is sony`s sound forge. It can be set up to automatically create regions for multiple takes , also auto rewind for re-takes and automatic punch in settings (punch means it records to a specific time). Unfortunatly Soundforge is not meant for multiple layering of recordings, its a pure editing tool, its not a multitrack application. But it will work with mp3 nativly (well, in a way you wont notice.) Just a note, its generally a bad idea to edit from mp3 as everytime your editing and saving your loosing bits of audio data as its re-compressing.

I personally dont really bother that much with automatic auto takes, i prefer to do everything in post, once everything has been recorded. You`ll find it probably a lot easier to edit a single long audio file with all the takes already recorded, rather than trying to get the takes right during the recording . If you say after every take go "BEEP" very loudly (or generate a test tone) after every take, you`ll find it very easy to visually see your takes on the waveform. But that of course is all down to personal preference of working.

The august DC podcast was mastered with the following

Adobe Audition
Sony Soundforge (only to edit out some bizarre audio headers in audacity`s file format that audition didnt like)
(admitidly , total overkill for a simple podcast, but i have them anyway)

JavaJones uses a free app called Audacity to record his segments, and does a fine job, its also muti tracking (in a basic sense)

Another of couple of apps to check out (that are not free, in fact a bit pricy) would be:

Sony`s Acid (has a built in sample editor), Acid is really designed to be a loop based multitrack editor, and the tools that go with it reflect that, but can be used just as well as a basic multitracker.
Cubase SX (as mentioned by superboyac)

Also not forgetting this post here
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4551.0 , which actually may be an ideal solution. (its basically a free Adobe Audition), and even better it supports VST so you can download filters and compressors to tidy up the audio (especially if your working with a cheap mic)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Thanks a lot. Nice answers.

I know Cubase and, ... well was it Cool Edit before being adobe audition. I agree it seems like a bit overkill.

What I was thinking is the following.
Sometimes I have random ideas. I open my 'big-arse-txt-file" and type them down. Some other times I work from and outline and fill blocks of text.

It'd be really nice to have an application that, well, simplified the process by just catching all your thoughts while thinking outloud. a really fast, simple, notepad-like application for verbal ideas.

Cubase is an interesting idea though.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:11 PM »
reaper is great!