Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 07:07:54 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: XYplorer File Manager  (Read 121773 times)
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2007, 08:28:05 AM »

True, very true, Nosh. I have both XYplorer and FileLocator Pro so this doesn't apply to me, but all things considered, XYplorer's search is good enough that unless those extra 15 secs are of vital importance you don't need to spend the extra $30 on FileLocator Pro! Having said that, I use FLP myself - I bought it before XYPlorer...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
DonL

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »

Although there _are_ advantages to using specialized tools.  smiley

XYplorer (see attachment in previous post)
FileLocator Pro (see attachment in previous post)
I'm surprised. I thought it impossible to search faster than XY. What kind of search was it? Just for a certain name pattern or any other filters? Did you time the first search or a later search? The timing of the first search over a certain location will only/mainly reflect the read-speed of your harddisk, any non-first search (when the OS has done its caching) will reflect the speed of your search software.
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2007, 09:09:05 AM »

Interesting question, Don. I didn't actually check this out myself - I'll have to run some back to back comparisons. Will do when I get home from work this afternoon.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2007, 09:30:58 AM »

Alright, it's time for me to eat my words.

The search was *.txt > 1kb

I'd rebooted so I ran the same test again, this time through FileLocator Pro first. The results were stunning, to say the least.

FileLocator Pro

XYplorer

Searched again without shutting down either app, now FLP did it in a respectable 8 seconds and XYPlorer in a blazing 2.491 !

Congrats, Don. Kindly pass the salt. Thmbsup

DonL

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2007, 12:43:53 PM »

Alright, it's time for me to eat my words.
Bon appetit! cheesy

BTW, talking about "specialized tools". Historically, XYplorer is not a file manager with a search feature, but a search tool with a file manager attached to it. Not for nothing it was called "Tracker" before...
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2007, 12:41:54 PM »

Don has released a slightly older version of XY with a freeware license:

http://www.xyplorer.com/free.php
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »

Hmmm, it looks really nice, but compared with xplorer² lite, it loses some things and gains some others (like portable file associations, *drools*)
justice
Supporting Member

Solve issues simply.

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »

With Xyplorer can I queue file operations so that for example I can copy a folder over the network and when it's finished doing that move it to a folder on my backup partition? This is why I like Total Commander a lot, especially with file operations that take considerable time you can quickly queue all the operations then go do something else knowing it's all going to be fine. Also as it allows you to set the overwrite options in advance I don't have to check progress at all. After trying out the freeware version I have to say I like Xyplorer a lot though especially the searching is fantastic.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 05:01:59 PM by justice » Logged

DonL

« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2007, 01:43:48 AM »

With Xyplorer can I queue file operations ...
No, not yet. And not very soon. But it's on my list.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2007, 04:34:47 AM »

XYplorer-free has that nice feature where you can clip a directory listing of files+paths to the clipboard or to a CSV file, but is there a way to make it use UNC paths instead of drive mappings, and to choose only the columns you want, in the order you want, instead of all of them?

DonL

« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2007, 04:42:14 AM »

XYplorer-free has that nice feature where you can clip a directory listing of files+paths to the clipboard or to a CSV file, but is there a way to make it use UNC paths instead of drive mappings, and to choose only the columns you want, in the order you want, instead of all of them?
UNC no, the rest yes. Simply hide the columns or drag them to the order you like.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2007, 05:55:09 AM »

UNC no, the rest yes. Simply hide the columns or drag them to the order you like.

Thanks, DonL!

Suggest you consider UNC for the paid version,  though.

DonL

« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2008, 01:22:29 AM »

Thanks, DonL!

You mean to automatically translate the mapped paths, or to add another column for the UNC versions of the mappings?

BTW, XYplorer 7.0 is out since yesterday! Here's a quick overview: http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.00.htm
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2008, 05:27:08 AM »

Thanks, DonL!

You mean to automatically translate the mapped paths, or to add another column for the UNC versions of the mappings?

I should have been clearer in the first place...  If there has to be a choice, I presume I'd have to plump for the latter.  The scenario is that on the network at work, I need to know what the UNC versions are so I can paste them into e-mails, so recipients can be sure of getting a clickable link to the target file.  That's all, really.

DonL

« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2008, 05:33:46 AM »

Thanks, DonL!

I should have been clearer in the first place...  If there has to be a choice, I presume I'd have to plump for the latter.  The scenario is that on the network at work, I need to know what the UNC versions are so I can paste them into e-mails, so recipients can be sure of getting a clickable link to the target file.  That's all, really.
Okay, just to make sure: You are talking about the command File / To Clipboard / Item Path/Name(s), right? And there should be one more: File / To Clipboard / Item UNCPath/Name(s), which of course only makes any sense when used on mapped drives. That should be easy to add...
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2008, 03:44:43 AM »

Okay, just to make sure: You are talking about the command File / To Clipboard / Item Path/Name(s), right? And there should be one more: File / To Clipboard / Item UNCPath/Name(s), which of course only makes any sense when used on mapped drives. That should be easy to add...

Yes!  I just wanted to be able to clip names+full paths to the clipboard to e-mail to other people in a form most likely to work for them, whatever their local drive mappings.

I should confess...  I'm not a registered user of XYplorer (yet), and I wouldn't expect all features to be present in the free version.  But, I think the for-pay version should have full UNC support, as XYplorer is a good tool for sysadmins, the more so for being portable, and they would really need that.

DonL

« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2008, 04:37:04 AM »

Yes!  I just wanted to be able to clip names+full paths to the clipboard to e-mail to other people in a form most likely to work for them, whatever their local drive mappings.

I should confess...  I'm not a registered user of XYplorer (yet), and I wouldn't expect all features to be present in the free version.  But, I think the for-pay version should have full UNC support, as XYplorer is a good tool for sysadmins, the more so for being portable, and they would really need that.
I think so, too, and added it. Check out the next beta version available in the user forum.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #142 on: April 02, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »

I think the for-pay version should have full UNC support, as XYplorer is a good tool for sysadmins, the more so for being portable, and they would really need that.
I think so, too, and added it. Check out the next beta version available in the user forum.

Thanks!   That's great  cheesy
DonL

« Reply #143 on: April 02, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

I think the for-pay version should have full UNC support, as XYplorer is a good tool for sysadmins, the more so for being portable, and they would really need that.

Thanks!   That's great  cheesy
So it works as expected?
JoTo
Super Honorary
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #144 on: April 02, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »

Hey Donald,

thanks for the heads up on V 7.0!

Of course i run like hell to get my most favourite FileManager in newest Version.

After reading the "whats new" section i was impressed! Scripting is a really good idea!

I expected an upgrade fee for the new version, but i was wrong. FREE for registered Users! Woooohooooo! You are so generous!

Thank you sooooo much!

Your very satisfied customer
JoTo

PS:
And now excuse me, have no time anymore to write. Must explore the new features in V7  Grin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:07:57 AM by JoTo » Logged
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »

So it works as expected?

Yes!  Full UNC filename+path now copied to clipboard, e.g

[copy or print]
\\gbmnppfs001\groups\technical\Library\Articles\The_European_Ink_Report_March_2008.mht

Many thanks!   smiley

I'm now a registered user   Cool

DonL

« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »

So it works as expected?

Yes!  Full UNC filename+path now copied to clipboard, e.g

[copy or print]
\\gbmnppfs001\groups\technical\Library\Articles\The_European_Ink_Report_March_2008.mht

Many thanks!   smiley

I'm now a registered user   Cool
Great + Thanks!!  cheesy

Now assign Ctrl+U to it and you feel real good.
rjbull
Charter Member

« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2008, 03:26:55 AM »

Done!  It just gets better and better!   Grin

One small thing; if I go to Help -> About, XYplorer shows my registration details, including the full plain text of my license key.  Did you intend that, as it's then  possible for someone to sneak a look at my computer behind my back and copy the key?  I'm more used to seeing the key hidden, or at least masked with asterisks.

DonL

« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »

Done!  It just gets better and better!   Grin

One small thing; if I go to Help -> About, XYplorer shows my registration details, including the full plain text of my license key.  Did you intend that, as it's then  possible for someone to sneak a look at my computer behind my back and copy the key?  I'm more used to seeing the key hidden, or at least masked with asterisks.

No problem -- anybody who can memorize a 32-digit key deserves a "free" copy. Wink Or, do me a favor and don't open the About dialog when someone is standing behind your back. smiley

Now, seriously, I just recently have seen screenshots of XY's About dialog in the internet -- so I will actually follow your advice! Thanks.
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2008, 11:03:17 PM »

Many people were raving Xyplorer so I thought I should give a try. It looks and function nice. However I have not found any major feature that would make me pay for it. Here my minus list

It does not have dual panes,
It does not have a ftp client,
It does not support mouse forward backward buttons, at least mine did not work
You can not change the placement of panes (for example I would like viewer on the left or right side)
You can not seperate bottom pane. For example I would like to put find files at top, properties at the bottom
Limited layout selection
You can not get rid of tree view (at least I could not)
In full row select mode you cannot drag selection rectangle
I could not test the opening speed of the application because of  the shareware opening screen.

My favorite feature was auto column resizing. I really like other features like advance renaming ,folder coloring-highlighting.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.05s | Server load: 0.15 ]