ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (10/43) > >>

DonL:
DonL: I tried the latest beta (5.10.0032) and see that the auto remember only works partially.

Watch this screencast to see what I mean.
-sri (September 14, 2006, 11:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah yes. Thanks for the most sophisticated screenshot I've ever seen!  :up:

In the next version you can go up and down again as often as you want using <back> and <return>. Nice feature actually, thanks for the input!

BTW: I thinking about a cool way to integrate the Address Bar (AB) with the Bread Crumb (BC). AB-BC... sounds natural. They are so similar that they can take the same screenspace I think... just have to find a way how. AB is keyboard, BC is mouse... 2 worlds clashing...

allen:
BTW: I thinking about a cool way to integrate the Address Bar (AB) with the Bread Crumb (BC). AB-BC... sounds natural. They are so similar that they can take the same screenspace I think... just have to find a way how. AB is keyboard, BC is mouse... 2 worlds clashing...
-DonL (September 14, 2006, 03:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know the ramifications of it, but it would be really cool if the individual breadcrumbs within the location were clickable -- without preventing one from using the keyboard to move back and forth amongst the characters.  The trick would be having it all both clickable and selectable/editable by mouse and keyboard.  . . Which may not even be possible, but it sure does sound cool :)

zridling:
Okay, DonL, that's really cool. In 5.10.0032:
"You can set a Visual Filter directly through the Address Bar, the Catalog, the Favorites etc. This means you can set a new path and a new filter at the same time!

For example:
Desktop|*.jpg;*.png   = browse to Desktop and show only *.jpg and *.png files

The crucial operator here is the "|"-char (pipe). These are the general syntax options (Path can be slashed or not):
        Path|a*   = set filter "a*" to Path
        Path|     = remove any filters from Path
        |a*       = set filter "a*" to current Path
        |         = remove any filters from current Path

The filter will be added to the top of the Visual Filter MRU (most recently used) list, so it will be available for toggling on/off (Ctrl+Shift+J).

These "Quick Visual Filters" are really fast, really nice, especially for seeing what you have or what you've downloaded, e.g., "Do I have 13 PAR2 files are just 11?" and so on.
Great screencast, sri! What program did you use for that? And for the last few releases I've been using F7, ALT+Left, ALT+Right, and Backspace to navigate effectively. However, the memory feature you point out is nice.

sri:
zridling: I am using Camtasia Studio.

zridling:
Here's a feature I've been waiting for: Delete (Skip Locked). Here's how it works and was implemented by the XYplorer's author, Donald Lessau:

Menu File: added command "Delete (Skip Locked)".

Normally, when deleting multiple files and a locked file (a file currently used by any application) is met, the OS sits about 2 seconds doing nothing, and then you get a message that a file can't be deleted because it is in use, and finally the deleting stops at this point. All other files that are not in use aren't deleted. Very annoying, and you have surely experienced this when you wanted to clean up in your temp folder last time.

Well, "Delete (Skip Locked)" is the solution! It simply deletes everything that's not locked and does not contain anything locked. It takes the following two-step approach:

(1) Look for any locked files within the current selection (recursing any selected folders). Then delete all other (unlocked) files (if any).

(2) Look for any empty folders (where empty means: no *files* contained in the whole branch) within the current selection. Then delete those folders (if any).

In step (1), if any locked files are detected, you'll get a confirmation dialog where you can decide how to procede. In step (2), if any empty folders are detected, you'll get a confirmation dialog where you can decide how to procede.

I added these explicit dialogs for one reason: On top of them you'll get two more delete confirmation dialogs (unless you turned off delete confirmation in Configuration|Advanced), one for each step. These stem from the standard OS Delete API I am using. What you have to know is that these latter dialogs probably do not match your current selection, because:
(a) I pass only unlocked files to the API;
(b) I pass files from recursing any folders in your selection.

So, the bottom line is: you pay a small price for the fantastic "Delete (Skip Locked)", namely a slight delay due to the checking of the lockedness, and, the two-step operation with its dialogs, but you gain by never encountering that delayed action again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version