topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer File Manager  (Read 216247 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer File Manager
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 10:33 PM »
Here's another neat feature.

The ability to copy a whole folder structure, including all subfolders, to a different location, without copying the files inside those folders is a great time-saver.

My dream function/greatest time-saver is:

Instead of just copying the "folder tree structure", user may opt to generate a "batch file" or "Windows script" that when run will create that "folder tree structure"

NeilS

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 08:33 AM »
The ability to copy a whole folder structure, including all subfolders, to a different location, without copying the files inside those folders is a great time-saver.

Yeah, this is a nice facility.

I was wanting to get DOpus to do a (roughly) similar thing the other day, where I could copy a folder tree without the ".svn" folders (created by Subversion) or any of the files inside them. DOpus' file filters seemed like they would do the job, but it was a bit harder than I expected, because it behaves a little strangely with folders. Basically, if you set the file filter to simply ignore items with "name" matching ".svn", it will do nothing, because it seems to only consider the files and not the folders. However, if you tell it to ignore items with the "type" matching "[Folders Only]" AND "name" matching ".svn", it works.

Coming back to the feature you mention, the "type" matching "[Folders Only]" rule can be used on its own (as a "match" rather than an ignore) to perform a copy of the folder structure without any of the files. Pretty neat - I just need to figure out how to make it appear as an option on a right-button-drag. Might be easier to just add it as a toolbar button though.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I'm sure that has to do with how DOpus handles virtual folders. Or am I wrong on that?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 10:24 PM »
PS: Anyone notice how much faster DOpus (Directory Opus) is in the latest 8.2.2.4 version? Noticeable difference.

NeilS

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 07:05 AM »
I'm sure that has to do with how DOpus handles virtual folders. Or am I wrong on that?

I thought DOpus' virtual folders was just a way to tell it which folders to use Explorer's containers for, e.g. you might want the control panel to show up as it does in Explorer, but Windows/Fonts to be handled by DOpus?

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Here's another neat feature.

My dream function/greatest time-saver is:

Instead of just copying the "folder tree structure", user may opt to generate a "batch file" or "Windows script" that when run will create that "folder tree structure"

Ok, let me do a little pitch for my app... Your dream has come true. It's already built into XYplorer, only in a far better way! 

You have to look at the New Items menu (under menu Edit): anything that is found in the "NewItems" subfolder of the app path -- including whole folder structures (empty or not so empty trees) -- is available for 1-click-creation (in the current folder) under the "New Items" menu.
How does stuff get into that magic "NewItems" folder? Handwork! You put in there whatever you want, just a one-time work, and XYplorer will list it in the "New Items" menu, ready for 1-click-creation wherever and whenever you want.
It's "New" on EPO!

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2006, 12:46 AM »
Ok, let me do a little pitch for my app... Your dream has come true. It's already built into XYplorer, only in a far better way! 

You put in there whatever you want, just a one-time work, and XYplorer will list it in the "New Items" menu, ready for 1-click-creation

Hi, I have not yet tried XYplorer, but may I know what do you mean by "one-time work", does that mean I have to create (once) every folder and all its subfolders (if exist) manually as the "New Items" mentioned? If the answer is YES then I don't think it is practical, because my initial request/dream feature is to avoid that kind of creation. i.e. it is the work of creating folder-tree-structure that I wish I can save, not the easy of repeating the same creation...

I think a script or batch is still a better way because it is flexible to be used else where...

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2006, 03:43 AM »
Hi, I have not yet tried XYplorer, but may I know what do you mean by "one-time work", does that mean I have to create (once) every folder and all its subfolders (if exist) manually as the "New Items" mentioned? If the answer is YES then I don't think it is practical, because my initial request/dream feature is to avoid that kind of creation. i.e. it is the work of creating folder-tree-structure that I wish I can save, not the easy of repeating the same creation...

I think a script or batch is still a better way because it is flexible to be used else where...

Ok, I probably misunderstood what you are looking for. When I hear "batch" I think of automating recurring tasks, and that's what the "New Items" menu is for. You create something (files, folders, folder trees) manually just one time, and then you can one-click-re-create it infinitely wherever and whenever you want. A real time-saver.
Now, after rereading your post, I think your idea is to quickly type some folder names plus indents (or so) into an editor and feed that chunk of text into the app to let it create a corresponding folder structure. Sounds easy to do. Still interested? ;)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2006, 07:08 AM »
Now, after rereading your post, I think your idea is to quickly type some folder names plus indents (or so) into an editor and feed that chunk of text into the app to let it create a corresponding folder structure. Sounds easy to do. Still interested? ;)
My idea is I can mark folders with XYplorer and optionally tell to include (or exclude) their subfolders then let XYplorer generates either a BAT file or Windows script file. Before the creation of that BAT/SCRIPT file, XYplorer should allow me to place "action" on to all selected items, so this action can be "MD" which means create the folder or if I put "RD" means delete the folder and so on...

I miss the "Batch Enhancer" or BE as found in Norton Utility 8 in the old DOS day ... :(

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006, 12:56 AM »
My idea is I can mark folders with XYplorer and optionally tell to include (or exclude) their subfolders then let XYplorer generates either a BAT file or Windows script file. Before the creation of that BAT/SCRIPT file, XYplorer should allow me to place "action" on to all selected items, so this action can be "MD" which means create the folder or if I put "RD" means delete the folder and so on...
That sounds like a particular solution to a problem. If that problem is "How can I simplify/automate creating certain empty folder trees?" I think XYplorer's solution is easier. But, of course, it's always a matter of habit.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 04:49 AM »
Okay, the dev of XYplorer himself — Donald Lessau (DonL) — showed up. Thanks man!

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 03:43 PM »
1) is it possible to have clickable breadcrumbs in XYPlorer (like in xplorer2 shown below)?

2) Can XYPlorer remember the navigation I used? For example: In xplorer2, if I navigate to C:\Program Files and go inside say 'FindAndRunRobot' folder when I hit the backspace key 'Program Files' folder is currently selected, now when I press enter to go in it, 'FindAndRunRobot' folder is auto selected 'cos that's where I was the last time.

Not only that, even if I close and open xplorer2, it will remember the last navigated folders/files.

This is an supremely useful feature which you'll only realize the value of, once you know/use it.

Does XYPlorer have it?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 03:53 PM by sri »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I've only been using the application for as long as this review has been posted, so I'm by no means an experienced user.  From what I can tell, however, neither the clickable breadcrumbs or auto remember of last folder (when going back) are available.  It does, however, remember the folder used between sessions.  Having the last folder used highlighted does sound like a really handy feature, though -- swing by the forum and suggest it, I wouldn't be surprised if it made the cut.

--In other news, I've just discovered a feature that has me jumping up and down.  I can perform search querries directly from the address bar in XYplorer, not having to switch to a search enter face.  For example, C:\?*.exe would show me only executables in c:\ or c:\?*.exe /r to find executables recursively under C.  Even regex support.  Most convenient for me, reluctant to touch my mouse.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 04:25 PM »
@Sri:

Two times "no", I'm afraid. At least for the time being.
1) The xplorer2 breadcrumb is real cool. I envy it since long but I'm too proud to steal it.
2) Oh, that's nice. I might steal this one... ;)

Don
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:49 PM by DonL »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2006, 05:48 PM »
DonL - I say steal away! Dopus has the same feature (breadcrumbs) so it's not unique to xplorer2 (I have no idea who originated it; very likely it was neither app...).

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2006, 06:07 PM »
DonL - I say steal away! Dopus has the same feature (breadcrumbs) so it's not unique to xplorer2 (I have no idea who originated it; very likely it was neither app...).

Not to mention that it's being incorporated into Vista's Explorer UI.  I first heard of the 'breadcrumb' control in reference to web site navigation, but that doesn't mean that's where it started.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Thanks DonL. Kindly include these two features. The day that's done, I'll buy your XYPlorer.

Breadcrumbs feature is self explanatory. But if you haven't already, I urge you to try xplorer2 (I use the free version) to test exactly how the 'auto remember' works. That way you won't be working on something that's not what is generally intended here.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2006, 05:02 AM »
Ah yes, okay. Actually I guess some pre-historic baker invented the breadcrumb ;)

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2006, 05:06 AM »
Thanks DonL. Kindly include these two features. The day that's done, I'll buy your XYPlorer.

Breadcrumbs feature is self explanatory. But if you haven't already, I urge you to try xplorer2 (I use the free version) to test exactly how the 'auto remember' works. That way you won't be working on something that's not what is generally intended here.
If by 'auto remember' you mean your 2nd wish, I have already implemented it in the latest BETA version (download in the XY Beta Club). See whether you like it...

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2006, 11:50 AM »
DonL: I tried the latest beta (5.10.0032) and see that the auto remember only works partially.

Watch this screencast to see what I mean.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2006, 03:34 PM »
DonL: I tried the latest beta (5.10.0032) and see that the auto remember only works partially.

Watch this screencast to see what I mean.
Ah yes. Thanks for the most sophisticated screenshot I've ever seen!  :up:

In the next version you can go up and down again as often as you want using <back> and <return>. Nice feature actually, thanks for the input!

BTW: I thinking about a cool way to integrate the Address Bar (AB) with the Bread Crumb (BC). AB-BC... sounds natural. They are so similar that they can take the same screenspace I think... just have to find a way how. AB is keyboard, BC is mouse... 2 worlds clashing...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 03:37 PM by DonL »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2006, 04:34 PM »
BTW: I thinking about a cool way to integrate the Address Bar (AB) with the Bread Crumb (BC). AB-BC... sounds natural. They are so similar that they can take the same screenspace I think... just have to find a way how. AB is keyboard, BC is mouse... 2 worlds clashing...

I don't know the ramifications of it, but it would be really cool if the individual breadcrumbs within the location were clickable -- without preventing one from using the keyboard to move back and forth amongst the characters.  The trick would be having it all both clickable and selectable/editable by mouse and keyboard.  . . Which may not even be possible, but it sure does sound cool :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2006, 12:41 AM »
Okay, DonL, that's really cool. In 5.10.0032:
"You can set a Visual Filter directly through the Address Bar, the Catalog, the Favorites etc. This means you can set a new path and a new filter at the same time!

For example:
Desktop|*.jpg;*.png   = browse to Desktop and show only *.jpg and *.png files

The crucial operator here is the "|"-char (pipe). These are the general syntax options (Path can be slashed or not):
        Path|a*   = set filter "a*" to Path
        Path|     = remove any filters from Path
        |a*       = set filter "a*" to current Path
        |         = remove any filters from current Path

The filter will be added to the top of the Visual Filter MRU (most recently used) list, so it will be available for toggling on/off (Ctrl+Shift+J).

These "Quick Visual Filters" are really fast, really nice, especially for seeing what you have or what you've downloaded, e.g., "Do I have 13 PAR2 files are just 11?" and so on.
Great screencast, sri! What program did you use for that? And for the last few releases I've been using F7, ALT+Left, ALT+Right, and Backspace to navigate effectively. However, the memory feature you point out is nice.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2006, 01:12 AM »
zridling: I am using Camtasia Studio.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2006, 05:33 AM »
Here's a feature I've been waiting for: Delete (Skip Locked). Here's how it works and was implemented by the XYplorer's author, Donald Lessau:

Menu File: added command "Delete (Skip Locked)".

Normally, when deleting multiple files and a locked file (a file currently used by any application) is met, the OS sits about 2 seconds doing nothing, and then you get a message that a file can't be deleted because it is in use, and finally the deleting stops at this point. All other files that are not in use aren't deleted. Very annoying, and you have surely experienced this when you wanted to clean up in your temp folder last time.

Well, "Delete (Skip Locked)" is the solution! It simply deletes everything that's not locked and does not contain anything locked. It takes the following two-step approach:

(1) Look for any locked files within the current selection (recursing any selected folders). Then delete all other (unlocked) files (if any).

(2) Look for any empty folders (where empty means: no *files* contained in the whole branch) within the current selection. Then delete those folders (if any).

In step (1), if any locked files are detected, you'll get a confirmation dialog where you can decide how to procede. In step (2), if any empty folders are detected, you'll get a confirmation dialog where you can decide how to procede.

I added these explicit dialogs for one reason: On top of them you'll get two more delete confirmation dialogs (unless you turned off delete confirmation in Configuration|Advanced), one for each step. These stem from the standard OS Delete API I am using. What you have to know is that these latter dialogs probably do not match your current selection, because:
(a) I pass only unlocked files to the API;
(b) I pass files from recursing any folders in your selection.

So, the bottom line is: you pay a small price for the fantastic "Delete (Skip Locked)", namely a slight delay due to the checking of the lockedness, and, the two-step operation with its dialogs, but you gain by never encountering that delayed action again.