ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (5/43) > >>

TucknDar:
Unlike TC, DO allows regular expression which I supposed can do more than TC, but what is the point if newcomer find no way or very hard to learn the syntax of regular expression?-tslim (August 21, 2006, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
TC allows regex for renaming files.

rjbull:
regular expression intensively for its search and replace function. However the syntax is definitely diff from the DO's. I am not sure whether there exist an international standard of regular expression which supposed to be used by everyone.
-tslim (August 21, 2006, 08:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure there ever was.  For example, grep has shorthand lile [:alpha:], [:space:] etc. - but these seem not to be used at all in AWK.  Weird.

Another thing I can still remember is about the "rename" function, TC has the most intuitive and easiest to use interface.

--- End quote ---

It's very good, and quite visual.  You can see what you're going to do before you do it.  And there's even an Undo feature :)

what is the point if newcomer find no way or very hard to learn the syntax of regular expression?

--- End quote ---

It's probably hard to "sell" the idea of regular expressions to newbies.  You don't realise how useful they are until you've sued them seriously.  But TucknDar's right, TC's renamer has regular expressions, and even has a  section on them in the help file.

tslim:
But TucknDar's right, TC's renamer has regular expressions, and even has a  section on them in the help file.
-rjbull (August 21, 2006, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---
I must have missed this one, may be I should try it again.

zridling:
[urlwolf]: How is the search function compared to locate? Does it do continuous indexing like google bar, copernic etc?
--- End quote ---

It can cache a scan if you like or you can save complex find operations as a template to be used again and again. It scanned my 400G HD (with 262G of data) and found 96 files with the term "keyboard shortcuts" in 25.410 seconds. XYplorer doesn't index your drive. I asked the dev about this and he thought tools like Locate and Copernic do that function better and he doesn't want to bloat the program with sub-par features. He wants to keep XYplorer fast, and churning the HD slows everything down. File Search, however, is XYplorer's strongest feature. RegEx is supported, too.

zridling:
Here's another neat feature.

Every other week or so I need a feature which will copy directory structures in all Windows environments (drives and folders mainly). The ability to copy a whole folder structure, including all subfolders, to a different location, without copying the files inside those folders is a great time-saver.

Right-click on any folder and drag-n-drop to its new location. And then select the "Create Branch(es) Here" option. It also gives you options to move or create a link to the folder/s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version