ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (4/43) > >>

zridling:
Thanks Tuck, I appreciate the feedback! We both agree it is great to have several solid choices in this category, which means it's a toss-up — pick one and you'll be happy with your favorite. Of the ones I listed, Total Commander took me the longest to customize, but that's just me, and once I did, I was comfortable. Setting up XYplorer took less time than any other except for xplorer2. But then I customize the crap out of every app I use (nod to SuperboyAC).

Is there any app that older than Total Commander that has as many users today, viz., from the DOS days? You can't throw a rock through a window without hitting a Total Commander user, ha!  ;D

TucknDar:
Is there any app that older than Total Commander that has as many users today, viz., from the DOS days? You can't throw a rock through a window without hitting a Total Commander user, ha!  ;D
-zridling (August 19, 2006, 07:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup: We're all over the place!!  8)

urlwolf:
zaine,

How is the search function compared to locate?
Does it do continuous indexing like google bar, copernic etc?
Thanks a lot

rjbull:
1) DO is relatively weak in handling archive files (compare to Total Commander)
[...] I am a programmer (since the DOS time) but I find DO search difficult to learn, particularly its regular expression syntax (which is also used in renaming files), and there seems to have no detail documentation on this.
-tslim (August 19, 2006, 02:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Somebody on DC pointed out that if you started computing in the DOS days, you probably used Norton Commander, and you like TC because it's closest to it.  If on the other hand you started with Windows, and used Windows Explorer, you prefer DO.

BTW, TC's archive handling is helped using the multi-arc plug-in.

I've never used DO, but here is a man page on Regular Expressions in general.

tslim:
Hi rjbull,

Even nowadays, I still use MultiEdit for DOS programming and it uses regular expression intensively for its search and replace function. However the syntax is definitely diff from the DO's. I am not sure whether there exist an international standard of regular expression which supposed to be used by everyone. I can pick up very quickly if there is a reference of the regular expression syntax used by DO, unfortunately I couldn't find one when I evaluate DO.

Another thing I can still remember is about the "rename" function, TC has the most intuitive and easiest to use interface. When I first try renaming files with it, I spontaneously know how to use it - and it is powerful. Unlike TC, DO allows regular expression which I supposed can do more than TC, but what is the point if newcomer find no way or very hard to learn the syntax of regular expression?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version