ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (2/43) > >>

zridling:
[KenR]:...I do all these things with the script language. Does XYPlorer have these features as well?
--- End quote ---
Not that I know of. XYplorer goes about such customizations in a different, somewhat more visual style. At first impression, you might say, 'hmmm,' but then it grows on you when you see what's going on. That's why I can't wait for customizable keyboard shortcuts, even though there's a keyboard shortcut for almost everything right now in XYplorer, I'd like to be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to a specific file or folder, for instance. The only bad thing I can say about DOpus is that it's too powerful. And that's never a bad thing, so I contradict myself! I don't think XYplorer is going to knock DOpus off that top tier, but for anyone looking for alternatives, it's a solid option, assuming you take the time to customize it like anyone would do with Directory Opus.

What is nice is that we have several rock solid options in this category (among others):
 — Directory Opus
 — XYplorer
 — SpeedCommander
 — Total Commander
 — ExplorerPlus
 — xplorer2

PS: Thanks mouser!

mrainey:
(3) Configuration and portability — XYplorer's ability to save and carry its configuration anywhere is extremely handy.
--- End quote ---

Zaine,

You can export all your Directory Opus settings to a file which can be imported into another installation.  Am I missing something?

urlwolf:
but you sure cannot put Dopus in an USB drive! GPS wants you to pay for one license per computer, so that kind of portability is precluded.

zridling:
mrainey, yes, you can, and I'm glad you mentioned it. (For those who don't know him, mrainey is one of the true software geniuses around here — his work with and advice to developers is well regarded around the web.)

My experience with export/import in version 8.x of Directory Opus has not been entirely accurate in that both my toolbars and listers were not fully imported. The difference between the two is that with XYplorer you don't have the "big install" routine. Run the little 751k .exe file (the install folder only adds up to 2M), import the .ini, restart, and voila! Done in about a minute. For anyone in the field, this is a delight.

Here is what XYplorer's author (Donald Lessau) wrote in response:
"- You'll get [keyboard] shortcuts for destinations [folders, files]... after I've done a couple of other fantastic things;
- Scripting is on my list as well (frankly, I use XY scripting already for automated backups — but for now it's only available in my personal special developer edition)."

For anyone reading this, each change you make in Directory Opus, I urge the user to backup and export all its settings asap so you don't have to reconstruct them. Directory Opus allows you to save all or part of your current setup, including any keyboard shortcuts you created (although that's not listed in the export/import settings). I say that because I'm the fool who backs up incessantly, making a backup of the backup.

I frankly cannot say a bad word about Directory Opus because it does every single thing I want. I just think the only caveat is its complexity (which is not a bad thing because it is the ultimate power user's tool, unlike xplorer2, for instance). But it's that very complexity that ensures its customizability, which in turn ensures its mass appeal. In other words, there's a reason everyone swears by Directory Opus — it works.

Josh:
Great review zaine! Must say, I had looked at this before when I was looking at DOpus, but I decided against it since DOPus has alot more customizability. But a great MR none-the-less.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version