ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (39/43) > >>

fenixproductions:
2wraith808
I am using them for two purposes:

1. short notes / tags about files / directories.

Sometimes I just need to describe what are files about. Of course, I can create readme.txt for them but it's easier to me to use descript.ion for this purpose (it is some kind of standard).

2. files and folders colouring.

Total Commander allows me to define different colours for resources according to rules like: attributes or description. That way I can visually "prioritize" my folders. It is simple for me: all I need is to define that each file / folder with $work1$ phrase in comments should be shown in red and $work2$ in orange. That way I can find files I've been looking for right away after coming into folder, especially when they have similar names.

Innuendo:
And I use descript.ion files in totally different ways:

1. I use Newsbin Pro to download things from usenet quite often. One of the options I can set Newsbin to automatically put usenet newsgroup, usenet poster, and/or message subject in the descript.ion file for those files. Sure helps when you have posters uploading zips and rars with totally random filenames. In Total Commander I can just hover over the filename and it tells me in a tooltip all the information that Newsbin Pro associated with that file.

2. I use Internet Download Accelerator as a download manager for downloading files off of FTP and web sites. IDA automatically tags the descript.ion file with the download URL for that file so that if I wonder where I got it I can easily see where I did so I can go back and get a new version or similar files if I liked the one I downloaded but had forgotten where it came from. IDA also allows you to enter descript.ion file contents on each file download and I use it a lot when a zip or rar is being downloaded that has an encrypted password. Nothing worse than having a file sit on your hard drive for six months, you finally need it for something and your archiver prompts for a password that you no longer know and have no idea where to go to get it.

When you set up your computer with multiple programs with descript.ion file support a whole world opens up to you with an entirely new way to attach information to files without having to clutter up and ruin the readability of the file's name.

sri:
Since XYPlorer site and forum are not working currently for me, am posting this here to see if someone knows.

When a file/folder or multiple files/folders is/are selected, I want to press a keyboard shortcut (Alt+F5) and have the selection zipped.

I also want Alt+F6 to extract a rar or zip file to a folder with the same name as the archive file.

I have winrar installed.

How to do this?

rjbull:
XY 8.20 released

XYplorer 8.20 has been released on 12-Aug-2009. Here's a quick introduction to the main new features:

* Large Toolbar Icons. Now you can toggle small or large toolbar icons.
* Sticky Selection. A safe and comfortable multiple selection style for huge file lists.

Sticky Selection, also known as "Checkbox Mode" is a selection style known from many apps with multiple selection lists. The effect is pretty much identical to holding the CTRL key while you click on an item or hit the space key on the focused item: The previous selections are not touched and the current item's selection state toggles. Also clicking on the white space will not unselect the selected items.

Sticky Selection is obviously very practical when you work on long lists and want to pick out particular items manually: You won't easily lose your work by the slip of a finger.

Last not least there's a toolbar button for quick toggling
--- End quote ---
Links:

* XYplorer Home Page
* XY 8.20 Update Page
* XYplorer Download Page

mwb1100:
For people who might be on the fence about XYplorer due to price, there's a new option - a lifetime "Home license" for $15.  According to http://www.xyplorer.com/homeedition.php:

It has everything the current Pro Edition (8.30) has, apart from the following advanced features:

* Catalog (Favorites Panel)
* Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
* Network Server Caching
* Portable File Associations / Portable Openwith Menu
* Scripting
* User-Defined Commands

--- End quote ---
Seems a pretty good deal if you don't need these (the feature I'd miss most from that list is the Catalog).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version