topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: XYplorer File Manager  (Read 216273 times)

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XYplorer File Manager
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Cannot fault the regular updates this product gets from the author, glad I purchased a lifetime license. Can't wait until dual-pane in introduced then I can start using it - still on Total Commander, cannot live without dual-pane but will most certainly switch to XYplorer once it is implemented.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2008, 02:42 AM »
On November 24, 2008, XYplorer 7.80 (Standard License) is offered at $14.68 (less than half the normal price!) for one day at Bits du Jour.

http://www.bitsdujou...m/software/xyplorer/

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2009, 01:21 AM »
Does this have a dual pane yet  :-\
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35 AM »
Does this have a dual pane yet  :-\
Not quite yet, but the first dual pane beta should be released very soon now: http://www.xyplorer....amp;start=210#p32926

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2009, 10:14 AM »
A beta of dual pane has arrived: http://www.xyplorer....c.php?p=33013#p33013

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Nice to see the developer overcome his insane grudge against the dual-pane concept. If only someone could convince him the error of his ways regarding descript.ion files as well his product would become extremely interesting for my uses.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2009, 05:27 PM »
I can swear I've tried my best and I just can't work with it. I am lost with TC and it seems that other file managers do not exist for me (at least mouse oriented ones) or placebo gives the feeling they are slower* ;)

If only someone could convince him the error of his ways regarding descript.ion files as well his product would become extremely interesting for my uses.

Being curious: what error?

*) Well… that and "XPCom not initialized." errors while browsing my folders with Preview panel switched ON.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:29 PM by fenixproductions »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2009, 09:20 PM »
XYplorer has become my 3rd hand. It is a great tool in my view. It offers so much and very customizable. Now with dp support it will be an unbeatable explorer replacement.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Agreed, kartal. I've been playing (rather superficially, thus far) with the DP beta and it makes a big difference in how I percieve XYPlorer. It really could bump DOpus out of first place on my machine  8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I've been playing rather superficially with it also.  Price might be one reason it eventually does it now that it has DP, though DO has a leg up since I use horizontal panes and right now XY only does vertical.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2009, 10:02 PM »
though DO has a leg up since I use horizontal panes and right now XY only does vertical.

Press Ctrl-F10.

Or menu item "Window/Horizontal Panes".

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Oh.  D'oh.  I did mention I'd looked at it superficially, right?  :-[

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Oh, that is sweet. I like it! I'm with Mr. Darwin - this could finally convert me.

I currently have licenses for Directory Opus, Total Commander, and XYPlorer (Lifetime Lic.). I have never used TC full-time though I have had it longer than any other. The UI is just different enough and I never took the time to master it. DOpus is my everyday file explorer currently, but that could now change. I do like XYPlorer but dual pane is a big plus for me, and not having it was a big minus IMO, at least for my use. I do a lot of file copying and moving and it is definitely much simpler with the dual pane.

Jim

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2009, 03:10 PM »
Being curious: what error?
-fenixproductions

The error being that he has stated many times in the past that descript.ion files are useless and that he will never add support into his program for them. Am I mistaken that XYplorer still does not support them?

I rely on them far too heavily to move from a file manager that supports them (Total Commander and Directory Opus) to one that doesn't (just about everything else).

I still haven't forgiven ACD Systems from removing descript.ion support in ACDSee.

Useless tidbit of information: It was my "nagging"/"whining" that prompted the DOpus author to move to descript.ion file support when he was originally going to use a proprietary file format.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2009, 04:12 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you use descript.ion files for?

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2009, 10:24 AM »
2wraith808
I am using them for two purposes:

1. short notes / tags about files / directories.

Sometimes I just need to describe what are files about. Of course, I can create readme.txt for them but it's easier to me to use descript.ion for this purpose (it is some kind of standard).

2. files and folders colouring.

Total Commander allows me to define different colours for resources according to rules like: attributes or description. That way I can visually "prioritize" my folders. It is simple for me: all I need is to define that each file / folder with $work1$ phrase in comments should be shown in red and $work2$ in orange. That way I can find files I've been looking for right away after coming into folder, especially when they have similar names.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:26 AM by fenixproductions »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2009, 10:57 AM »
And I use descript.ion files in totally different ways:

1. I use Newsbin Pro to download things from usenet quite often. One of the options I can set Newsbin to automatically put usenet newsgroup, usenet poster, and/or message subject in the descript.ion file for those files. Sure helps when you have posters uploading zips and rars with totally random filenames. In Total Commander I can just hover over the filename and it tells me in a tooltip all the information that Newsbin Pro associated with that file.

2. I use Internet Download Accelerator as a download manager for downloading files off of FTP and web sites. IDA automatically tags the descript.ion file with the download URL for that file so that if I wonder where I got it I can easily see where I did so I can go back and get a new version or similar files if I liked the one I downloaded but had forgotten where it came from. IDA also allows you to enter descript.ion file contents on each file download and I use it a lot when a zip or rar is being downloaded that has an encrypted password. Nothing worse than having a file sit on your hard drive for six months, you finally need it for something and your archiver prompts for a password that you no longer know and have no idea where to go to get it.

When you set up your computer with multiple programs with descript.ion file support a whole world opens up to you with an entirely new way to attach information to files without having to clutter up and ruin the readability of the file's name.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06 AM »
Since XYPlorer site and forum are not working currently for me, am posting this here to see if someone knows.

When a file/folder or multiple files/folders is/are selected, I want to press a keyboard shortcut (Alt+F5) and have the selection zipped.

I also want Alt+F6 to extract a rar or zip file to a folder with the same name as the archive file.

I have winrar installed.

How to do this?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2009, 05:31 AM »
XY 8.20 released

XYplorer 8.20 has been released on 12-Aug-2009. Here's a quick introduction to the main new features:

• Large Toolbar Icons. Now you can toggle small or large toolbar icons.
  • Sticky Selection. A safe and comfortable multiple selection style for huge file lists.

Sticky Selection, also known as "Checkbox Mode" is a selection style known from many apps with multiple selection lists. The effect is pretty much identical to holding the CTRL key while you click on an item or hit the space key on the focused item: The previous selections are not touched and the current item's selection state toggles. Also clicking on the white space will not unselect the selected items.

Sticky Selection is obviously very practical when you work on long lists and want to pick out particular items manually: You won't easily lose your work by the slip of a finger.

Last not least there's a toolbar button for quick toggling
Links:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:38 AM by rjbull »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2009, 12:18 AM »
For people who might be on the fence about XYplorer due to price, there's a new option - a lifetime "Home license" for $15.  According to http://www.xyplorer.com/homeedition.php:

It has everything the current Pro Edition (8.30) has, apart from the following advanced features:

• Catalog (Favorites Panel)
  • Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Network Server Caching
  • Portable File Associations / Portable Openwith Menu
  • Scripting
  • User-Defined Commands

Seems a pretty good deal if you don't need these (the feature I'd miss most from that list is the Catalog).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2009, 04:27 AM »
I can't get xyplorer to run on linux under wine.. Does anyone know any details about how to do it?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2009, 08:22 AM »
I can't get xyplorer to run on linux under wine.. Does anyone know any details about how to do it?

Maybe...

Home Edition sounds very tempting indeed. Now, if XYplorer did have a 64-bit build :(

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2009, 09:10 AM »
Thank you for the pointer, lashiec!
I got it running, it works fairly well, but looks like ****. Still, it's much better than not working at all ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2009, 07:40 PM »
For people who might be on the fence about XYplorer due to price, there's a new option - a lifetime "Home license" for $15.  According to http://www.xyplorer.com/homeedition.php:

The only caveat I'd like to point out to people thinking about buying this is that there is no upgrade path from the home edition to the pro edition. If you decide later you wish to have the pro features you'll have to pay full price to get them.

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47 AM »

The only caveat I'd like to point out to people thinking about buying this is that there is no upgrade path from the home edition to the pro edition. If you decide later you wish to have the pro features you'll have to pay full price to get them.
Yes, true. But, just to make sure, this is not a hidden trap but spelled out clearly on the web page describing the Home Edition.