ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (34/43) > >>

ad-min:
Anyway, I see that the "purists" over at the XY forums are all smacking themselves on the back and posting how only rank amateurs want dual pane explorers, and "real" power users know that single pane explorers are so much better.-J-Mac (April 17, 2008, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think nobody thinks that "SP is good and DP is bad" or "only amateurs use DP". It's just a matter of personal tastes.

I never understood that so many people seem to see it like a war between different concepts and everybody who prefers "the other one" is a fool. We should be happy to be able to choose: some prefer XY (not because it's NOT a DP file manager but because of it's unique features, great support, etc.), some prefer one of the various other DP file managers.

J-Mac:
Anyway, I see that the "purists" over at the XY forums are all smacking themselves on the back and posting how only rank amateurs want dual pane explorers, and "real" power users know that single pane explorers are so much better.-J-Mac (April 17, 2008, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think nobody thinks that "SP is good and DP is bad" or "only amateurs use DP". It's just a matter of personal tastes.

I never understood that so many people seem to see it like a war between different concepts and everybody who prefers "the other one" is a fool. We should be happy to be able to choose: some prefer XY (not because it's NOT a DP file manager but because of it's unique features, great support, etc.), some prefer one of the various other DP file managers.
-ad-min (April 18, 2008, 01:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

With quotes like this...

I wonder: is it a small but loud group of mad junkies (it seems so, looking at their dogmatic attachment to an outdated Win3.1 interface), OR is it a real majority of serious computer workers? I mean, MS dropped dual pane 12 years ago with Win95 and the introduction of the folder tree and never brought it back. Is MS also hassled by "Please DP"-whining?
--- End quote ---

...and this:

I really don't understand why you are so reserved about this topic and don't jump into programming action. Place a nice toolbar button called DP and on pressing a message appears 'UP YOURS' and then after brief interval for remorse, close down XYPlorer permanently.
--- End quote ---

... need I go into it any further?  Or can you see why I don't really relish the "discussions" about dual pane in that forum?

Jim

Grorgy:
thats why i only go to the developers forums as a last resort, if im choosing software i look around here to see what people are using and who is using what and why.  Then look for impartial reviews on other sites, but the hardcore support forums are always last on my list if i ever go there

tomos:
I find I'm using XYplorer more and more as time goes by.  The dual panes are becoming less of an issue and I have a couple of options there if i really want to see 2 panes.
-Grorgy (April 18, 2008, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
BTW, the next release will feature the incredible Portable Openwith Menu (POM). Here's a preview: http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.10.htm
-DonL (April 18, 2008, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

that looks really nice Don :) (& the variable tab width too :up:)

there was some kind of hack (or miniprog?) mentioned here somewhere at some stage - when you'd go to open certain file-extensions you would get the choice of (pre)selected programmes to open it - seemed to work for others but not for me so looking forward to trying your "POM"

DonL:
I find I'm using XYplorer more and more as time goes by.  The dual panes are becoming less of an issue and I have a couple of options there if i really want to see 2 panes.
-Grorgy (April 18, 2008, 12:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
BTW, the next release will feature the incredible Portable Openwith Menu (POM). Here's a preview: http://www.xyplorer.com/release_7.10.htm
-DonL (April 18, 2008, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

that looks really nice Don :) (& the variable tab width too :up:)

there was some kind of hack (or miniprog?) mentioned here somewhere at some stage - when you'd go to open certain file-extensions you would get the choice of (pre)selected programmes to open it - seemed to work for others but not for me so looking forward to trying your "POM"
-tomos (April 18, 2008, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can try it already in the BETA version, it's near-perfect by now. The associations in the POM are not only by extension but by any wildcarded pattern, or even by a specific filename: IOW you can have individual openwith context menus for specific files (!) -- and with unlimited power: POM supports scripting, so there's far more in it than just "open with..." :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version