ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

XYplorer File Manager

<< < (26/43) > >>

Darwin:
True, very true, Nosh. I have both XYplorer and FileLocator Pro so this doesn't apply to me, but all things considered, XYplorer's search is good enough that unless those extra 15 secs are of vital importance you don't need to spend the extra $30 on FileLocator Pro! Having said that, I use FLP myself - I bought it before XYPlorer...

DonL:
Although there _are_ advantages to using specialized tools.  :)

XYplorer (see attachment in previous post)
FileLocator Pro (see attachment in previous post)
-nosh (November 21, 2007, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm surprised. I thought it impossible to search faster than XY. What kind of search was it? Just for a certain name pattern or any other filters? Did you time the first search or a later search? The timing of the first search over a certain location will only/mainly reflect the read-speed of your harddisk, any non-first search (when the OS has done its caching) will reflect the speed of your search software.

Darwin:
Interesting question, Don. I didn't actually check this out myself - I'll have to run some back to back comparisons. Will do when I get home from work this afternoon.

nosh:
Alright, it's time for me to eat my words.

The search was *.txt > 1kb

I'd rebooted so I ran the same test again, this time through FileLocator Pro first. The results were stunning, to say the least.

FileLocator Pro

XYplorer

Searched again without shutting down either app, now FLP did it in a respectable 8 seconds and XYPlorer in a blazing 2.491 !

Congrats, Don. Kindly pass the salt. :Thmbsup:

DonL:
Alright, it's time for me to eat my words.-nosh (November 21, 2007, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Bon appetit! :D

BTW, talking about "specialized tools". Historically, XYplorer is not a file manager with a search feature, but a search tool with a file manager attached to it. Not for nothing it was called "Tracker" before...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version