topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mst defrag questions...  (Read 5351 times)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mst defrag questions...
« on: July 04, 2005, 05:06 PM »
I know there are several people on this forum that use mst defrag.  Anyone care to give any further enlightenment than what's in the help file?  I remember there was one person who said there are a bunch of registry settings.  I looked; but didnt see a whole lot!  Specific questions I have (though any other random thoughts about usage would be appreciated):

- What good is the tray icon (when I click it.... it does nothing)
- What does "Faulty" mean next a drive icon in the main GUI (and why does it go and come seemingly at will?)
- What registry settings are tweakable?
- Are there any ways to change the order of folders(specifically, can I defrag and move the page file to the front of the drive?)

As I said, any other comments are welcome.  I love this piece of software... just wish the helpfile had more to it!  Also, I am using the new beta version  (1.8 I believe) and WinXP SP2.  Thanks,

Kevin

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: mst defrag questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 07:29 PM »
Something goes BUMP in the night...

Kevin

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: mst defrag questions...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 11:26 PM »
I don't use mst Defrag anymore, and sorry, I didn't see your message originally.

The registry settings are under the FAQ portion of the help file.  Don't ask me why...

- What good is the tray icon (when I click it.... it does nothing)

I believe the tray icon is just there to annoy you, oops, I mean give you a visual indication of what the mst Defrag service is doing.  I didn't figure out what the various icons meant before removing mst Defrag.

- What does "Faulty" mean next a drive icon in the main GUI (and why does it go and come seemingly at will?)

The "Faulty" designation is often simply bullshit, and, I believe, can be reported under at least two circumstances: When you have mst Defrag configured to run CHKDSK.EXE prior to defragging, and some problem (even a minor problem) is found; or when mst Defrag loses its wits and shits out the word "Faulty" for no apparent reason.

What registry settings are tweakable?

Refer to the FAQ section of the help file...  They're all there, but it's a pain in the ass to find them since they're not in any table, but are rather buried in a phony discourse of supposed "FAQs".  Hey, I have a "FAQ"...  Will you put a GUI on the settings, so we don't have to Alt+Tab between a goofy help file and Regedit?

Are there any ways to change the order of folders(specifically, can I defrag and move the page file to the front of the drive?)

There is a registry setting (from memory, it's MoveModifiedFilesToEnd) that lets you move files depending on certain criteria, but there is no way to move the page file, or any other specific file.  You may be better off putting the paging file on a separate partition or drive.

I'm told that offline defragging will be in a future release of mst Defrag.  It almost made it into 1.8, I think.  But offline defragging isn't the same thing as specifying where files will be placed.

Phew...  Sorry for the tone, don't know what's going on with me.  I'm just being my usually nutty self I guess.  :-[
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »