ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mobysaurus

Mobysaurus Thesaurus v1.0 Released

<< < (4/5) > >>

Wordzilla:
I have been using WordWeb and I really wanted to give this software a try after seeing its screenshots in Donationcoder website. I was successful after several attempts of installing Mobysaurus (dot net problem unfortunately). I'm very impressed and want to commend/thank you for your time/efforts. I would like to make several suggestions and observations (in no particular order):

1. Minimize the program to tray instead of taskbar or maybe install a tray icon to keep the program in the background. Close to tray when minimized and exited.

2. Retain history after Mobysaurus is closed. I know you can add words etc. to your favorites but it seems like that's what you wanted to have when you included a command to erase the search history. At least this could be an option to save history across sessions.

3. Help us improve link does not work in program.

4. Updating gives the following error: Error Loading/Verifying Update Configuration from Server (Check your Internet connection or contact your Administrator).
I don't think there is a problem in my connection. Maybe an update server is not available?

5. One feature that is very useful in WordWeb is that it recognizes copied and/or highlighted items from programs.

Thank you again.

-cemole (September 04, 2006, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks cemole!

I have updated Moby to version 1.0.1, most changes were based on your suggestions. :Thmbsup:

1. Minimize the program to tray instead of taskbar or maybe install a tray icon to keep the program in the background. Close to tray when minimized and exited.
--- End quote ---

Implemented. There's a "Minimize to Tray" option in "Tools" menu for users to decide whether they want to keep the program in the background or close it instantly on click.

2. Retain history after Mobysaurus is closed. I know you can add words etc. to your favorites but it seems like that's what you wanted to have when you included a command to erase the search history. At least this could be an option to save history across sessions.
--- End quote ---

I like the idea but not yet sure about this, because I don't know if most users would like to keep their search history across sessions esp. after they have the "minimize to tray" option. I'll think more about it.

3. Help us improve link does not work in program.
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I think there was a glitch with the link. Now in v1.0.1, "help us improve" is replaced by a link to the moby discussion forum (still under construction) in the hope that it will help improve user experience more than just a feedback form.

4. Updating gives the following error: Error Loading/Verifying Update Configuration from Server (Check your Internet connection or contact your Administrator).
--- End quote ---

I didn't test the updater with different firewalls (I disabled mine long ago), my own fault. :)

v1.0.1 is not packed with the updater since I discovered it ran into troubles with firewalls and also due to the relative small size of the installer, I wonder if we really need an online updater option.

Anyway, it's of course possible to re-include the updater in future release if ppl really want to have it.

5. One feature that is very useful in WordWeb is that it recognizes copied and/or highlighted items from programs.
--- End quote ---

It would certainly offer more convenience if we could let Moby auto recognize highlighted words in other programs.
Not sure how to code this function right now, I did some google search and it looked to me that you have buy very expensive on-screen text capture dll to do this. I'm going to discuss this with Mouser and other site developers. :)

Thanks again cemole.

Wordzilla:
The up and down arrows seem to be navigating the history instead of going up and down on the word list (right panel). So, the only option to navigate the word list is through the mouse which is a bit counter-intuitive.
-cemole (September 04, 2006, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah.. what an oversight! I forgot to code that bit in v1.0. :(

Fixed in v1.0.1. And also in the case of multiple results returned, the app auto-navigates to the nearest based on your query.

For example, search "good", v1.0 by default highlights "for good" since it's the first list item (A-Z alphabetically sorted), however v1.0.1 highlights "good" so you won't have to navigate up and down to get "good" which is the one you are after originally.

cemole:
Thank you both mouser and Mobysaurus for the quick response. I appreciate your efforts in implementing suggestions. I have downloaded and installed the updated version. So far so good.

I have a suggestion for updating. Program could check at the beginning of a session (when the program first starts-up) to see if the user is online and if so, make a check to see whether there is an update or not. Then the user could be notified of this update and maybe linked to the updater site. This could be a option: check for an update (it would follow the same routine as initial start-up), do an automatic update at the beginning of each session or disable updating.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

cemole:
--- End quote ---

I like the idea but not yet sure about this, because I don't know if most users would like to keep their search history across sessions esp. after they have the "minimize to tray" option. I'll think more about it.-Mobysaurus (September 08, 2006, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't really understand what you mean by your association of "minimize to tray" and "saving search history across sessions". I was thinking in the lines of keeping saved searches even after exiting the program and the ability to have a quick look at them without having to do another search.

--- End quote ---

It would certainly offer more convenience if we could let Moby auto recognize highlighted words in other programs.
Not sure how to code this function right now, I did some google search and it looked to me that you have buy very expensive on-screen text capture dll to do this. I'm going to discuss this with Mouser and other site developers. :)-Mobysaurus (September 08, 2006, 11:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think Moby T needs to be capturing every highlighted item in every program, only those used for writing (text editors, Word, Writer) and maybe the first item in clipboard.

Thank you.

Wordzilla:
Hey, here's one: what about a way to call WordWeb for definitions, rather than reinventing the wheel? Wouldn't that be slick? WordWeb's already a very polished app with a good selection of definitions, supplemented by online search capabilities, and has a free version. 8)
-Cavalcader (September 08, 2006, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

What a witty idea, Cavalcader!  I didn't even think of it b4 and I'm now in love with this feature. :Thmbsup:

Thank you!!

p.s. implemented in v1.0.20

- Anderson

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version