ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mobysaurus

Mobysaurus Thesaurus v1.0 Released

<< < (3/5) > >>

cemole:
I have been using WordWeb and I really wanted to give this software a try after seeing its screenshots in Donationcoder website. I was successful after several attempts of installing Mobysaurus (dot net problem unfortunately). I'm very impressed and want to commend/thank you for your time/efforts. I would like to make several suggestions and observations (in no particular order):

1. Minimize the program to tray instead of taskbar or maybe install a tray icon to keep the program in the background. Close to tray when minimized and exited.

2. Retain history after Mobysaurus is closed. I know you can add words etc. to your favorites but it seems like that's what you wanted to have when you included a command to erase the search history. At least this could be an option to save history across sessions.

3. Help us improve link does not work in program.

4. Updating gives the following error: Error Loading/Verifying Update Configuration from Server (Check your Internet connection or contact your Administrator).
I don't think there is a problem in my connection. Maybe an update server is not available?

5. One feature that is very useful in WordWeb is that it recognizes copied and/or highlighted items from programs.

Thank you again.

mouser:
Great suggestions cemole -
I think we all need to make an effort to figure out ways to take Mobysaurus to the next level of polish and features.  I know Anderson is very interested in making it as good as it can be, and the thing he probably needs most of all now are suggestions and testers.  :up:

Retain history is important to me too, as would be recognizing words on the clipboard when resumed from tray.  WordWeb is a great program to study in terms of a nice efficient interface.

I'd love to see a dictionary module added.

cemole:
Thanks mouser. I'm no programmer but I'll try to make suggestions and share my experiences.

I agree that a dictionary would be great. But probably this would make the program very large due to the database of word descriptions. I guess the question then becomes about the purpose of the program. Now, I see it more as a thesaurus then a full-fledged dictionary with antonyms/synonyms/phonetics etc.

I tried the "Add to Favorites" option and realized that not just the word that I'm interested is saved but all the other options as well. For example, with the word "use" the following are also saved "ill use" and "use up" which I am not particularly interested.

The up and down arrows seem to be navigating the history instead of going up and down on the word list (right panel). So, the only option to navigate the word list is through the mouse which is a bit counter-intuitive.

Cavalcader:
I'm very impressed with the database and the UI. Very nicely done, to both Grady and Anderson.

One small bit of feedback after first use: the update applet needs to be a little more patient. Once I acknowledged various security dialogs from my firewall, the app had already given up with a connection error dialog. Took me three tries to get it to work, although of course now that my system recognizes it as an app having Internet permissions it works flawlessly.  :)

Cavalcader:
Hey, here's one: what about a way to call WordWeb for definitions, rather than reinventing the wheel? Wouldn't that be slick? WordWeb's already a very polished app with a good selection of definitions, supplemented by online search capabilities, and has a free version. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version