topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • August 22, 2019, 06:11 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 13 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Python IDE Resources  (Read 771 times)

Adisharma

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Python IDE Resources
« on: July 30, 2019, 01:57 AM »
Hello Everyone, I am totally confused which python ide is best between Pycharm, Atom/Atom-IDE, and Eclipse + Pydev. Can anyone here be python lover who suggests me to work which one IDE? or suggest me any example for particular IDE.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Python IDE Resources
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 09:24 PM »
I don't know the answer but I'd like to hear what people think -- especially for a free one.
I do think I remember this being discussed before..

I think maybe this thread pointing me to PyCharm:
http://www.donationc....msg408061#msg408061

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:12 PM »
I use PyCharm (have a sub to all of JetBrains' products) and it works well for me.

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I don't use python myself, but perhaps an IDE for beginners is useful https://thonny.org/ - perhaps not as slick as the fancy editors available.

Features:
  • Easy to get started. Thonny comes with Python 3.7 built in, so just one simple installer is needed and you're ready to learn programming. (You can also use a separate Python installation, if necessary.) The initial user interface is stripped of all features that may distract beginners.
  • No-hassle variables. Once you're done with hello-worlds, select View → Variables and see how your programs and shell commands affect Python variables.
  • Simple debugger. Just press Ctrl+F5 instead of F5 and you can run your programs step-by-step, no breakpoints needed. Press F6 for a big step and F7 for a small step. Steps follow program structure, not just code lines.
  • Step through expression evaluation. If you use small steps, then you can even see how Python evaluates your expressions. You can think of this light-blue box as a piece of paper where Python replaces subexpressions with their values, piece-by-piece.
  • Faithful representation of function calls. Stepping into a function call opens a new window with separate local variables table and code pointer. Good understanding of how function calls work is especially important for understanding recursion.
  • Highlights syntax errors. Unclosed quotes and parentheses are the most common beginners' syntax errors. Thonny's editor makes these easy to spot.
  • Explains scopes. Highlighting variable occurrences reminds you that the same name doesn't always mean the same variable and helps spotting typos. Local variables are visually distinguished from globals.
  • Mode for explaining references. Variables are initially presented according to simplified model (name → value) but you can switch to more realistic model (name → address/id → value).
  • Code completion. Students can explore APIs with the help of code completion.
  • Beginner friendly system shell. Select Tools → Open system shell to install extra packages or learn handling Python on command line. PATH and conflicts with other Python interpreters are taken care of by Thonny.
  • Simple and clean pip GUI. Select Tools → Manage packages for even easier installation of 3rd party packages.
Screenshot - website has intro video as well.

screenshot.pngPython IDE Resources

Edit: I now see it was already posted here - http://www.donationc....msg415486#msg415486

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 04:22 PM »
I can still recommend Acme - or its recent Go port, edwood.
https://github.com/rjkroege/edwood

Unless you "need" syntax highlighting. In that case, try PyCharm.

(Disclosure: I hate Python.)

rohanjoshi0894

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 05:05 AM »
I am only a fan of Pycharm Python IDE, If you want to know why then read my answer here:

Here are the features, Why I am a fan of Pycharm:

• Intelligent Python editor       
  • Graphical debugger and test runner       
  • Navigation and Refactorings       
  • Code inspections       
  • VCS support       
  • Scientific tools       
  • Web development       
  • Python web frameworks       
  • Python Profiler       
  • Remote development capabilities       
  • Database & SQL support
Don't know other important python IDE, then click here.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Welcome to the site rohanjoshi0894!  We require that people state their connection to sites that they post; are you connected to hackr.io?