topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Switching to VoIP chat...  (Read 5720 times)

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Switching to VoIP chat...
« on: August 14, 2006, 09:38 PM »
Mouser, have you thought of offering some sort of VoIP client for chatting... It would be very cool and I think alot of people would be able to learn alot more if that was available since talking is alot easier than typing... You could definately still keep the mIRC but offer something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo as well for those people who have good internet connections... I have used Teamspeak and Ventrilo both and they are wonderful VoIP programs... Just a thought for ya!

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: Switching to VoIP chat...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 11:01 PM »
since talking is alot easier than typing...
No way! I type 100x faster than I can talk. For some reason talking seems to require more brainpower for me. I hate it, I always stay away from stuff like teamspeak :D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 11:12 PM »
While talking seems like it might be easier for some of us, listening might not be. Have you heard me speak before?  ;D

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Another problem with speech is that it's real-time. You can't go and make a cup of tea, come back and read what you've missed. Also you can't converse and have different conversations with mutliple people simultaniously.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42 AM »
my experience is that voip methods of communicating seemed like a great idea until i used them. strangely, it felt like a novelty and i quickly gave up using it - same applies to the people i was chatting with.

actually 'talking' to someone 'properly' certainly requires a great deal more effort than typing. you have to participate correctly in the conversation with all of the rules that come with it - trying to avoid embarrassing silences, trying to think of something actually worth saying, etc. the whole process just made me aware of what little is actually worth saying.

using irc or other text based communication allows you to just say what is necessary - it provides you with more time to formulate your reply without the 'listener' becoming bored by your long pauses - pauses of silence that would be deemed uncomfortable in a spoken conversation.

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:09 PM »
okay okay! lol it was an idea... gone bad! I was looking at the use of VoIP as something that could be used to explain things at real time if someone needed help or even to chat with a friend... I can see all of these points that you all have made and realize that VoIP might not and isn't the way to go... I personally love VoIP, because it gives me a great chance to communicate and keep my social skills polished... I love communicating and for me talking is alot easier than typing even though I can type very quick! Glad to see your guys' opinion though! I appreciate the reply's and feedback! cya!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Renox, i think there can be good reasons to use voip (as you've mentioned). if you needed any help or wanted to discuss something then you could always just make the suggestion that you would prefer to use voip and see what happens after that.

Renox

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 03:43 PM »
true... will do that then! thanx!

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 08:15 AM »
I think talking is more time-efficient.
I don't do any chatting.
Have you looked at your time logs of how much time you spend chatting?
I have. I won't do that, I cannot afford it.

Same goes for posting/reading blogs etc... they are demanding!

The same ideas can be transmitted by talking about 2/3 faster than by typing. *If* you have a clear idea of what you want to say.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Have you looked at your time logs of how much time you spend chatting?

Usually at the same time I'm doing other stuff too