ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Switching to VoIP chat...

(1/2) > >>

Renox:
Mouser, have you thought of offering some sort of VoIP client for chatting... It would be very cool and I think alot of people would be able to learn alot more if that was available since talking is alot easier than typing... You could definately still keep the mIRC but offer something like Teamspeak or Ventrilo as well for those people who have good internet connections... I have used Teamspeak and Ventrilo both and they are wonderful VoIP programs... Just a thought for ya!

Gothi[c]:
since talking is alot easier than typing...
-Renox (August 14, 2006, 09:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
No way! I type 100x faster than I can talk. For some reason talking seems to require more brainpower for me. I hate it, I always stay away from stuff like teamspeak :D

app103:
While talking seems like it might be easier for some of us, listening might not be. Have you heard me speak before?  ;D

Gothi[c]:
Another problem with speech is that it's real-time. You can't go and make a cup of tea, come back and read what you've missed. Also you can't converse and have different conversations with mutliple people simultaniously.

nudone:
my experience is that voip methods of communicating seemed like a great idea until i used them. strangely, it felt like a novelty and i quickly gave up using it - same applies to the people i was chatting with.

actually 'talking' to someone 'properly' certainly requires a great deal more effort than typing. you have to participate correctly in the conversation with all of the rules that come with it - trying to avoid embarrassing silences, trying to think of something actually worth saying, etc. the whole process just made me aware of what little is actually worth saying.

using irc or other text based communication allows you to just say what is necessary - it provides you with more time to formulate your reply without the 'listener' becoming bored by your long pauses - pauses of silence that would be deemed uncomfortable in a spoken conversation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version