topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Monitor Web Usage  (Read 2292 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Monitor Web Usage
« on: June 06, 2019, 09:47 AM »
Hello!

A department at work has several employees and they work on processing files on a sharepoint website.

I want to track how long they take viewing/working on a specific webpage to measure productivity.

Do you know an easy IE plugin to log webpages/urls and time spent on them?

Or could I do that at the network level e.g. with a sniffer or something (I do not have such access though)?

Thanks!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Monitor Web Usage
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 10:10 AM »
It isn't free, but You could install ManicTime clients on each computer of the persons you need to track. The client can be used for free (commercially), if I remember correctly. But if you buy a license for each client, there is an option to not show the client in Windows, so the person wouldn't know this software was even there.

You can then install ManicTime Server on a server or your own computer, This one costs money (30 day trial). Then you can tell the clients to sent their reporting to your server and you will have your overview. You can see how long people are busy, at what times they work/play, etc. All in nice diagrams and such. These can be exported to different types of documents for easy presentation to you/your boss.

Network sniffers are usually intended for troubleshooting issues in a network, not for tracking what people are doing. Although such a thing can be done, the loads of data you'll need to filter from the content generated by a sniffer, takes quite some work and afterwards you still have a garbled mess of content to extract data from for your purposes. Software for Packet Inspection sounds more useful for that purpose.

ManicTime is much simpler to setup and gives you what you want in nice graphs. Don't think it is that expensive either and qualifies as a business expense (if they have such a thing where you live).