topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which screen spec is most important for comfortable viewing?  (Read 3938 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello!

Which screen spec is the most important for less eye tiring viewing?

A phone has high contrast but low pixel density and I wonder which is more important given that I read alot on the screen and my eyes get tired. Or anything else I should look for?

Thanks!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which screen spec is most important for comfortable viewing?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Are you actually asking about a phone-screen, pc-screen or screens in general?

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Are you actually asking about a phone-screen, pc-screen or screens in general?

Phone screen and reading texts mainly or websites (not sure if it makes a difference)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Consider glasses. Seriously. With the passing of time, the ability of eyes to focus weakens. In the beginning you are compensating (without you realizing this), which makes your eyes feel "tired". But really, get your eyes checked by a professional and purchase glasses with the correct lenses (for each eye, as eyes don't degrade in the same manner).

That will help you in more profound ways than a better screen on 1 device that you own. You are likely to have the same problem reading from devices that you do not own. Glasses solve your problem for every device you try to read from....as long as you remember to carry them with you. For now it sounds like you are too vain to be seen wearing glasses full time. Nothing wrong with that, but age has that knack of catching up with you.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:38 PM »
What Shades said. At the very least pick up a pair of inexpensive reading glasses and try them out. When I hit about 50 I decided it would be good to try that out, and 15 years later they are still working great. Of course now I have a dozen pairs, one in every room/car/backpack, and a small pair to carry around just in case. :P

vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 01:29 PM »
A smart phone does really not have "low pixel density", (on the contrary!), it just has a small monitor. As an example, my Samsung 8+ has a small 6.2" monitor with 2960x1440 pixels, which is a good deal more than my (old) 24" desktop monitor's 1920x1080 pixels. This gives the smart phone a better, smaller picture. Much better, but also much smaller.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 03:27 PM »
LED light is problematic for the eyes. Most phone screens these days are LED backlit. Wonder is OLED any better? (you could check that out).
Dimmer screens and more yellow light is easier on the eyes. (OTOH dimmer screens / less contrast will also cause eye strain.)
In my phone I can change the hue of the light -- I made it more yellow but this does not seem to stick. The phone is also set to auto-brightness -- yellow tinge also varies, presumably with surrounding brightness i.e. implementation is poor -- I think these are default Android settings.

There are also the old tricks:
  • vary where your eyes focus -- look in the distance regularly to (1) give your eyes a rest from focusing at fixed distance (2) to keep them working :-/
  • looking at green is good to rest the eyes (seriously) -- combine with step above.
Tom