topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LBC Screencast Videos Aren't Working  (Read 4825 times)

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LBC Screencast Videos Aren't Working
« on: May 10, 2019, 12:35 PM »
I am trying to see if there is an "open with" setting in LBC to allow me to select one of a couple of browsers to open a url.
It is touched on in the help file under Global Options but I am looking for more guidance.

Before asking the forum I thought I would check the LBC screencasts. But they aren't coming up when you click any of the links.
Instead, I takes me to a YouTube page with videos for FARR and Screenshot Captor. No LBC.
Any other way I can get to them?

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: LBC Screencast Videos Aren't Working
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 05:59 PM »
I'll see if I can't fix the video section.. It got a little scrambled when we upgraded the website.
Can you elaborate on what you are wanting with the web browser thing?  Here's the main setting to set a custom url (and of course for any url in a specific node/button you could manually specify the full path to a browser):
Screenshot - 5_10_2019 , 5_57_35 PM.png

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I have a node/group set up with a series of URLs I visit regularly. I also have 2 different portable web browsers I use for different reasons. Along with my "default" installed browser.
Is there a way, that while I am hovering on one of the saved links, I can right-click to bring up my list of portable browsers to select one from to open the link.

Maybe this better explains:
Pop open LBC dock > go to node with URLs and click to open/expand > list of URL's opens > hover on a URL selection > right-click to bring up list of portable browsers > click on one > That browser starts and opens the URL

Is this possible?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 04:23 PM »
I'm not sure if this really helps, but are you aware of another old mouser program, BrowserTraySwitch?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:46 PM »
I *could* add something like this, but I remember in years past we have discussed how useful it would be in general to have a browser "proxy" utility, that acted like a browser but when you trigger it, it can apply some pattern rules that the user can edit to tell it what browser to use to launch the url, OR for other patterns (or by default) pop up a list to choose from.

Such a program must already exist because it's would be useful to a bunch of people.  Does anyone know of a free tool to do this?  If not, let's code it.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 12:14 PM »
@rjbull - I hadn't considered BrowserTraySwitch. I'll look at it again but I'm not sure I want to keep changing my default browser setting.

@mouser - Unless there is enough interest in something like you envision I wouldn't worry about taking people's time & resources coding something new for a single request. I was wondering if LBC was already capable of doing what I wanted and I just hadn't figured it out.

But I did figure out there is another way I can do it without much effort using one of my other favorite programs. XYplorer has a "portable open with" feature I tested with a couple of URLs and it works. I can set up new folders and move my regularly visited bookmarks from LBC to one of these. In XYplorer if I double-click one of the URLs it will open in my default browser. Or right-click on the URL and then select XYplorer's "open with". My two alternate portable browsers plus the default browser are displayed to select from.
Since I have LBC and XYplorer both running all the time, it's just a matter moving this one thing I want to do from one program to the other.

I didn't want to leave the post hanging without what I think will be a solution to my need.