topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor - How to improve image quality?  (Read 4163 times)

ThomasRo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2019
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Captor - How to improve image quality?
« on: April 29, 2019, 07:06 AM »
Hello and thanks to all who read and take time to respond. My question is about the DPI: setting. What setting should this be to get a good quality screen capture? Most screen capture software gives a result that is difficult to read and I would like to have a screen capture that is easily read without any blurring of text, images, or numbers. What setting in Screenshot Capture should be adjusted to provide a good quality PNG or JPEG. So far I have only found the DPI Setting. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Thomas

example of poor image capture
111.JPGScreenshot Captor - How to improve image quality?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor - How to improve image quality?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Quote from other post

Hello and thanks to all who read and take time to respond. My question is about the DPI: setting. What setting should this be to get a good quality screen capture? Most screen capture software gives a result that is difficult to read and I would like to have a screen capture that is easily read without any blurring of text, images, or numbers. What setting in Screenshot Capture should be adjusted to provide a good quality PNG or JPEG. So far I have only found the DPI Setting. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Captured images I paste on Word, Excel, or PDF files are usually fuzzy when I increase the size in the document.

Consolidated 3 posts into one.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:28 PM »
The DPI setting (as it says on that dialog in the description) does *NOT* effect quality of captured or saved images, it only effects printing.  The default values for that dialog in Screenshot captor are as follows and can be left as is:
Screenshot - 4_29_2019 , 1_28_24 PM.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Now, as for quality of screenshot, there are a couple of things to note:

First, make sure you are saving in PNG format for screenshots (the only exception to this would be if you are capturing mostly photographs and want small file sizes).

PNG is a LOSSLESS format, which means that the image will be an EXACT copy of what you see on the screen, with no blurriness or loss of quality.

HOWEVER, what does confuse people sometimes is that when a large image (say of your whole desktop) is DISPLAYED on the screen and has to be reduced in size, there are different ways to display the smaller version of the screenshot which may look more or less blurry on the screen.

It's important to realize this is only effecting the quality of the DISPLAY of the image at that size, not the inherent quality of the stored image.

You can see that by clicking on the upper right of the Screenshot Captor main window and going to 100% zoom, which will show you the original image quality, rather than the image reduced in size for display.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Now, if you find that when SC displays a large image by fitting it on your screen for display that it seems too blurry for your tastes, you can adjust the algorithm used for that on the Interface Option tab:
Screenshot - 4_29_2019 , 1_33_31 PM.png

The description on that tab will explain it a bit to you.  Again, your options there ONLY effect how screenshot captor displays images in its window when they are too big to fit on screen.  They do *not* effect the quality of the captured screenshot, which will always be perfect when you share it, mail it, print it, etc.

So again, the quality of the saved image is always going to be 100% lossless perfect copy of your screen when saved to disk and manipulated.  If there is any bluriness it is an artifact of the algorithm used to shrink the image temporarily in order to display it at a smaller size. 

ThomasRo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2019
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 03:04 AM »
Thank you kindly