ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE 07/19/05 - IDEA: Capslock reverses case of selected text

(1/6) > >>

Ampa:
eVER TYPED A LINE OF TEXT, ONLY TO DISCOVER THAT CAPS WAS ON? oH DARN - IT'S ON now!!!

OK so now I want to repair the damage so that you guys don't think I am shouting at you... what choice have I got but to retype the entire line of text?  Well how about if I could simply select the offending characters, hit my Caps Lock key and not only would it turn off CAPS so that I'd not be producing further garbage, but it would also reverse the case of the selection fixing my original problem in a single stroke.

Now I know that some software (eg Word) has a switch case funtion, but why not have this facility system wide?

No more reversed case issues in Messenger or IRC or on forums etc etc...

Just a thought.

Ampa.

PS - Yes I know that I should touch type better and avoid ever making mistakes in the first place, but the fact is that a lot of us do screw up in this manner from time to time.

PPS - I also once tried, but failed, to configure a HotKey program (I think it was HoeKey) so make a small sound when I hit Caps Lock as a warning... perhaps this too could be a feature of this tiny tool?

mouser:
some of the clipboard tools have easy hotkeys that will take text on clipboard and fix case.
ill bet one of the autoit coders here can make a compiled autoit macro script that will copy selected text to clipboard, change case, and paste it back.

as for caps lock sounds - thats a nice idea.. i know there are some utils for making click sounds when you type - perhaps some of these can be configured to only make certain sounds for certain keys.

if not, its actually a REALLY fun idea for a coding snack to make a keyboard map and let you define different sounds for each key - for example make a mapping that speaks the letter of each key you press, or makes slightly different click sounds for easily mistyped keys so that you could eventually learn to identify typos based on sound feedback.  very interesting idea.

im interested to hear if anyone knows of tools to assign custom sounds to dif. keys.

geektechnu:
... make a keyboard map and let you define different sounds for each key...
--- End quote ---
Map the keyboard to a selectable MIDI instrument and turn the keyboard into a drum machine (or any other instrument you choose).

That's something I'd like to see!

skrommel:
 :) Here's a brute force solution to the caps lock problem: Play a sound while caps lock is down.

Download and install AutoHotKey from www.autohotkey.com. Save the script as CapsSound.ahk and doubleclick to run.

--- ---;CapsSound
;Plays a sound while caps lock is down

~Capslock::
START:
GetKeyState,capslock,CapsLock,T
If capslock=U
  Return
SoundPlay,%SYSTEMROOT%\Media\ding.wav,Wait
Goto,START

Another, more gentle version only plays a sound once when the caps lock is turned on:

--- ---;CapsSoundOnce
;Plays a sound when caps lock is turned on

~Capslock::
GetKeyState,capslock,CapsLock,T
If capslock=D
  SoundPlay,%SYSTEMROOT%\Media\ding.wav,Wait
Return

Ampa:
Thanks skrommel for the AutoHotkey scripts... Shall try out the gentler version this evening.

As for my original question (reversal of accidental Caps Locked text) I am currently trying out As-U-Type by Fanix Software.  This is an advanced OS level real-time spell checker and text expander, which also has the accidental Caps Lock tool in built.

So far am very impressed by the utility, but the trial is only 30 days (?) and then registration is a tad expensive at $49.95 !!

Ampa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version