topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: good software review site  (Read 17438 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: good software review site
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 10:33 PM »
I can vouch for that. You wouldn't believe the number of solicitations I receive for my little site each week, and I haven't updated it in months. Yet people send me free software all the time. Most of it is highly marketed junk that forces you to cut through mountains of marketing copy amidst a good UI, but you end up asking, "Where the substance, the edge; i.e., what makes this slick program different from the freeware one?" What's odd is that they almost never send a registered version, ha!

One of the attractions to DonationCoder.com is its openness to the best software, no matter its licensing. My gripe with TopTenReviews is that without reviewing freeware/OS/Donation apps, then you're really only giving readers a partial review. Imagine if in his Image Shootout Review Nudone had stopped after reviewing ACDSee, ThumbsPlus, and PicaJet FX? Or if I had stopped after reviewing WinRAR, WinZip, and PowerArchiver in the Best Archive Tool review?

I welcome more review sites, and Veign makes an excellent point about synopsizing content. If you want the "quick and happy cheerleader" version of software reviews, visit The Great Software List, where everything is reduced to one paragraph and a screenshot. However, if you want more depth, with user input, response, and feedback, I'm coming here to DonationCoder.com. One reason I think DonationCoder.com has a great advantage with reviews is that many of you guys build software and approach it from several different angles, not just the "user" perspective I come from every time.

JavaJones, as for benchmarking, remember that it, too, can be subjective to an extent. Slow-opening programs are like slow-opening websites — they kill you, and that information does have a direct impact on users. But when I was doing my research for the Best Archive Tool review, I found tons of benchmarking sites that measured compression ratios and compared their algorithms, and in the end, I just wanted to see what each would do with a big freakin' fat file on my own (fast) computer. Much benchmarking is done at the university level for papers and studies, it seems.

When you look at TTR's best feature — its comparative tables — you still want to know "how" they thought one program received a 3.5 rating and another received a 4.0. At least, I want to know why — was it slower, did the feature not work, was it more difficult to access, etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:40 PM by zridling »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 10:42 PM »
PS: And I know the reason for only reviewing shareware/commercial apps is the ad money. If TTR did include programs like Screenshot Captor, how many people would still go out and buy HyperSnap or SnagIt?

counter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 09:31 AM »
The funny thing is on the screen capture review site their #1 and # 2 products don’t even have affiliate links.  Their 3, 4, 5, 7 are the only ones with affiliate links.  So they do make money off adds, and affiliate links, but their rankings aren’t based on affiliate commissions, or why not put #3 as #1.

When you look at TTR's best feature — its comparative tables — you still want to know "how" they thought one program received a 3.5 rating and another received a 4.0. At least, I want to know why — was it slower, did the feature not work, was it more difficult to access, etc.

That’s what the reviews are for.
http://screen-captur...fullshot-review.html

My two cents which is all its worth.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2006, 03:37 AM »
And screen capture review is what sells big time!  8) Dont think I want to test for 1 hour because Im sure stats will confirm their linking is very much based on getting a penny or 2. Actually Im sure that is whole idea behind site - having that in mind their claims of why they bother becomes BS. We provide in-depth product reviews and comparisons so you never have to wonder again." Does not really change because they make nice to read list, layout feature only. "Reviews" of so many products have to be nicely set up, like a phone book!

Hardware world is even worse... If 10 star is the best, expect 8.5 do be worst etc.

Dont be surprised about Microsoft or Mozilla for that matter using what is available of promotion. That is what this is about, marketing and advertiseing. On internet most things goes. And many eat it up. I generally hate ads but would lie if Im not influenced. Not from one ad with a nice lightly dressed lady or similar but the blog/forum hype you cant avoid. About the same with sites like DIGG, where does your interest go today? add some money and you have a business.

Too late being concerned about "hidden" ads counter - was it not Nvidia who admitted they use "bots" - paying people to join public forums and hyping products. So no one else does that of course, heh. Product placement, Viral ads??? hmm.

Internet also have information making sites like Toptenreviews look silly, for software this place could be one of them. Selecting source should be "surfing" not following ad links routing to sites like that. Tough sometimes...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:39 AM by dk70 »