topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected  (Read 11658 times)

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use Windows 7 -

I request a key(stroke?) that will invoke a media-based program on only the selected items. For example, currently we can select 3 music files, and via the r-clik context menu popup navigate to wmp, release mouse button and it will fire-up wmp and play those three files. Instead, I would like to press a key for same action.

-thank you
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:44 AM by MourningStar »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "IDEA" : Key Press to Replace R-Clik Navigation
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:25 AM »
Shift + F10 ?

On some laptops it's sometimes the Fn + Right Control keys, (on my Dell anyway), some keyboard also use the right Windows key, (if they have one).

Or do you want a hot-key to replace the combined action: Context menu->WinAmp->Execute
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:32 AM by 4wd »

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Or do you want a hot-key to replace the combined action: Context menu->WinAmp->Execute
Yes, however it must behave identical to as described in the OP. I want to define several keys and assign different apps (e.g. winamp, wmp, mp3tag, mpc-hc, foobar, etc.). So, perhaps a script for one and highlight the specific terms to change for each different app to do on my own.

fwiw, I have a Logitech G510s with programmable keys. I defined one of them it but did not play the selected files as per the r-clik context behavior. It just started the app. Perhaps assigning the hot-key script
to a "keystroke" rather than a shortcut can work? I don't know, this begins to go beyond my skillset.

-thank you

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:02 PM »
So are you saying that you want a contextual keymap based on the application that is foregrounded?

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:21 PM »
So are you saying that you want a contextual keymap based on the application that is foregrounded?

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Topic title modified for clarity

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

No, I don't think so.  He wants to automate, with a hotkey, the "right-click > choose some context menu action" one does after, typically, selecting files.

@MourningStar: Because right-click shell stuff like this is quite tricky to automate, you might want to look at Cautomaton, released by Worstje, one of the coders here on DC.

Cautomaton DC forum page here: https://www.donation....msg223716#msg223716

Worstje's site here: http://www.dcmembers...whitehat/cautomaton/

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@MourningStar:  The other thing you could do is use the "Apps Key" to bring up the context menu (after selecting your files), and then use arrow keys to choose what you want from the menu.

menu-key-keyboard-excel.png"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:52 PM by skwire »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

No, I don't think so.  He wants to automate, with a hotkey, the "right-click > choose some context menu action" one does after, typically, selecting files.

@MourningStar: Because right-click shell stuff like this is quite tricky to automate, you might want to look at Cautomaton, released by Worstje, one of the coders here on DC.

Cautomaton DC forum page here: https://www.donation....msg223716#msg223716

Worstje's site here: http://www.dcmembers...whitehat/cautomaton/

Ah Ok.  Thanks for the clarification.  I was asking because I know that the Logitech is on a per-application basis (one of the reasons that I use it) and I know that particular screen that he capped changes based on the application that's foregrounded (because I use the same thing on my g13 to change the key assignments per application).  But it seems like you have a handle on it so I'll bow out. Onward!  :Thmbsup:

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thank you 4wd, skwire and wraith808.

The 'apps key' suggestion is a good alternate for keyboard-only operations. I desire a one-clik, correction, one key-press only solution.

I looked into the Cautomaton (). Seems this member has not been active here recently, so if anyone out there familiar with that code can shed any light that it will or won't do as requested, it is appreciated.

cheers -MS

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cautomaton author here, summoned from the grave and beyond! 8)

I have re-read this thread a few times, and I am still a bit confused as to what MourningStar wants to achieve exactly. I think I understand, but for the sake of clarity, I will restate what I think the question is so that I can then give a proper answer, if only to avoid confusion later.

MourningStar wants to use Windows Explorer, select music files, and with a single key press choose a particular action in the context menu (also known as popup menu) that would appear if one right-clicked these files.

If I am wrong on any of this, please clarify this clearly.

Tackling the issue DIY-Coding-Snack-Style

This problem consists roughly out of two or even three parts.

1) Something needs to detect the key press, likely a global hotkey. There are tools for this. This is the starting point for where the 'logic' begins.

2) Something needs to figure out which Explorer window is on top and determine the files selected therein.

3) Something needs to simulate selecting the correct item in the sub menu.

My little tool Cautomaton only tries to tackle the third option. It is a tool meant to automate a very specific purpose, and as such does not have the functionality of points 1) and 2).

Items 1) and 2) might be the same program, or they could be separated into two. I am sure though that others can in fact point you towards a relevant tool for this. If no easy, existing tools exist for this, and knowing how talented some people in these forums are, someone could likely script these parts together using something like AutoHotkey. But I think one of the many tools released on DoCo might already supply this functionality. (mouser, I am looking at you and all your automation robots here! :P ) But I might be mistaken given how little time I have spent here as of late. :)

Since Cautomaton can at least cover part of the problem, I'm going to dive into it to show what it may do for you on this occasion.

Cautomaton basics

Windows file associations and the context menus that result from them are frankly a messy monstrosity built up throughout ~25 years of Windows development. For novice and expert users alike, it is very difficult to understand why some menu items appear when they do, and why they appear in the positions they do. Even today, I am frequently stymied by the behaviours I observe, and there this is why I have built an analysis function into Cautomaton that hopefully makes finding the correct magic incantation as painless as possible.

Because I had to dig up my Windows 7 VM (30 minutes of forced updates...) and then put Cautomaton on it, I figured all the time might as well be worth it and I went and created a couple of screenshots for educational purposes. These are the files I'll be talking about.

cautomaton-mini-tutorial-1.png"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

Note that I collected a couple of different file formats: one mp3, one wma, one flac. To Windows, these are all different, and especially once you start dealing with selections of multiple files, you can potentially run into problems where Windows decides to hide entries because it believes a menu item does not apply. You'll note that my FLAC song is not supported by Windows / WMP. I'll primarily focus on the mp3 file in this post, but this serves mainly as a reminder that multiple selections can be very gnarly territory.

You'll see that I put both the 32-bit and 64-bit version in there. Why? Because both versions will very likely show you rather different menus! If your machine and Windows are anywhere close to recent, the 64-bit version should suffice for all your needs... but some programs may simply not show up on one or the other popup menu. Myriads of reasons aside: it is important to be aware of which version you are using if you end up having problems not seeing menu items you should be seeing. My examples will use the 32-bit version of Cautomaton, although you should probably use the 64-bit version because 32-bit is positively ancient. (I made my screenshots before I typed all this, and never gave it much thought. Do as I say, not as I do.... :Thmbsup: )

From here on, everything happens in the command window (cmd.exe).

cautomaton-mini-tutorial-2.png"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

Here I run Cautomaton with the following switches:
  • /P - this option tells Cautomaton to show a context (popup) menu for human interaction
  • /A - this option tells Cautomaton to run in analysis mode
  • /N - this option tells Cautomaton to not actually execute the chosen action (it is late for me right now and I don't want to risk waking up the neighbors!)
  • my mp3 music file

You can see that I am about to click the 'Add to Windows Media Player' list, because I assume that is the one the OP wants.

cautomaton-mini-tutorial-3.png"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

Analyzing an action will output three pieces of information: information related to the 'verb', information related to the 'trail', and finally the recommended means of reproducing the given action.

Verb related information:

Verb (Unicode): Enqueue
Help text (Unicode): Add to Windows Media Player list

Verbs are the ideal means of interaction as this is a language-neutral concept that is native to Windows itself. They practically exist for the purpose of automation and if present, is always what you will be recommended to use. Verbs are supposed to be the same regardless of you using an English, Dutch, Chinese or Japanese system.

Unfortunately enough, far too many menu options do not offer verbs due to oversights, plain laziness or even because they want to prevent automation. Which is where trails come in.

Trail information:

Caption: &Add to Windows Media Player list
ID: #117
Position: 2
Neg. Position: -20

Trails are a Cautomaton concept based on the idea of having a breadcrumb trail to retrace ones steps. Unfortunately, context menus themselves are not meant for automated interaction, and are very much subject to change depending on the selected files. Some entries change name depending on the file selected. Others can only be pinned down because they like to snuggle in as the fifth item from the bottom. Yet others may be very stubborn about an internal ID.... anyhow, you probably get my point: this is macgyver-esque 'it works for me' and 'do not wake up sleeping bears' territory.

Recommended Cautomaton parameters: /v Enqueue

And finally the recommendation. Thank the gods: it is a verb!

In this case, if we want to reproduce right-clicking the mp3 and choosing this action, the program suggests running:

cautomaton32.exe /v Enqueue "01 - Over Distant Shores.mp3"

And while screenshots can't quite do the music justice ;), I can confirm this works perfectly on my end. (After waking up the neighbors, goddangit!)

Multiple files?

cautomaton32.exe /v Enqueue "01 - Over Distant Shores.mp3" "02 - Chrono Trigger.wma"

Also works! (I could make a screenshot of WMP having those two in a playlist... but you get the gist of it by now I think.)

Adding the FLAC file... Unfortunately, WMP rejects that one with its entire being: it does not show up. However, the other two do, which suggests that on this occasion at least the menu item didn't disappear outright just because an incompatible file was selected.

So what now?

This depends entirely on the program(s) used to cover points 1) and 2). I can't help you with that, I am afraid...

... but...!

Tackling the issue Common-Sense-style

This is where I tell you not to use my program. Cautomaton is a tool that exists to unlock tricky doors that otherwise stay locked, but it isn't always the right tool for the job. And this is exactly one of those situations where the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) rules supreme.

Let's be honest: all you want is to hit a key and have something happen. This is not so much about dependable automation that should happen behind the scenes as part of a bigger whole. If something doesn't work, you'll be right there to figure out WTF is going on.

Looking back at the trail information above, you can see that the caption is '&Add to Windows Media Player list'. The ampersand is used to denote a hotkey. Unfortunately, around the Windows XP era the default behaviour became to hide all those 'confusing keyboard shortcuts' by default to make things look nice and only have them show up when you press alt... but with popup menus that also close quite easily when keys are being pressed most people aren't even aware these shortcuts exist anymore!

Combined with the tip someone else already gave up above in regards to popping up the context menu using the Context key on the right side of your keyboard, we have minimized the solution to two actions key presses: CONTEXT, A.

And with that in mind, we suddenly have another way we can automate your problem: by finding an application that can assign a single keypress to execute two keypresses. Such basic macro tools are a dime-a-dozen, and although I do not personally use any, someone here should be able to give you a recommendation for a good one.

Note that this solution is by far preferable: Windows Explorer will do all the heavy-lifting exactly as it is supposed to do and far less complexity is involved.

Just because I wrote a tool that can solve a part of the problem does not mean the tool is the right tool to solve the problem. ;) Good luck!

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thank you worstje for your detailed reply. If I understand correctly using your code/script/app would depend on another code/script/app in order to produce a one press operation? Please forgive the limited scope of my knowledge. As is usually my case, what 'seems' like a simple request from a 'dummy' can become an intricate and complex undertaking from what I have learned so far. And it is why I am so in awe of all you here that possess these skill sets. I salute you!

MourningStar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I understand correctly using your code/script/app would depend on another code/script/app in order to produce a one press operation
-MourningStar (April 05, 2019, 12:32 PM)
From what I can tell, yes. You'd use for example AutoHotkey to create a script with a hotkey that when pressed causes the script to
1. get the filepaths of the currently selected files in the active File Explorer window, and
2. run cautomaton32 on the command line with a verb (that you've previously manually looked up and added to the code) and the filepaths as parameters

You'd create one such hotkey for each target application (wmp, winamp, ...) you want to send files to using some context menu verb.

Alternatively the AutoHotkey function InvokeVerb() can replace step 2 , https://sites.google...functions/invokeverb

edit: the function only works on one single file or one whole folder at a time. We can apply it in a loop over each of the selected files. But that might not have the same effect as manually selecting some files, right clicking and choosing a verb. For example we might end up starting three instances of a media player rather than starting one instance and adding three files to its playlist. Relevant (unsolved) StackOverflow issue: https://stackoverflo...ia-shell-application

I think the chance of someone completing your request might increase if you provide more details. What are the exact names of applications you want to send files to with a hotkey? For each such application, what is the name of the its context menu verb that you want to trigger?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:55 AM by Nod5 »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It actually occurred to me that this can be mostly done using something I've done previously on here, needs a few minor changes but should be doable.

This captured selected files from the current Explorer window and this was a slightly modified version that did something similar using Clavier+ for the hotkey assignation.

The ExClip program could be modified slightly to output selected files to a temp text file which is passed to the end program, (or intermediate cmd file if the program can't take text list input).

So:

Clavier+ (hotkey) -> ExClip -> WinAmp/etc

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd: I took MourningStar to want to apply the exact context menu verb on the selected files. That will sometimes be different from passing a textfile with filepaths to the target application. But if the applications they want to use this on have command line equivalents for each of the wanted verbs then your approach, if we add an extra step constructing the command line argument, is an alternative way to do it.

edit:
Doh! You already made my point. Or rather I repeated yours.
passed to the end program, (or intermediate cmd file if the program can't take text list input).
I suppose I'm standing on the shoulders of 4WD giants 8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:50 AM by Nod5 »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'll have to download AutoIt and have a play since I don't use it anymore but it should be a simple change - if someone wanted to, they could also integrate the hotkey assignation via a GUI rather than rely on an external program, (eg. Clavier+).

It's actually a bit strange that given PowerShell's ability to access most Windows APIs there still seems to be no way to collect selected files in explorer using it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:45 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, a mish-mash of programs but it works for me :)

• Download and install Clavier+ (I'll be using this for the example - use whichever hotkey program you're comfortable with)
  • Download the attached archive and put ExClip.exe somewhere

Then see below for setting it all up:

Clavier+ - set up the hotkey to what you want, set the path to ExClip.exe and the auxiliary cmd file as necessary.
2019-04-24 17_53_18.png"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

2019-04-24 17_58_09.png"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

The cmd file - this is a simple file that takes the text file generated by ExClip and changes it to an M3U playlist file, then calls the default program for it (MPC-BE in my case):

m3u.cmd
Code: Text [Select]
  1. echo #EXTM3U > "%~dpn1.m3u"
  2. type "%~1" >> "%~dpn1.m3u"
  3. DEL "%~1"
  4. start "" "%~dpn1.m3u"

The text file generated by ExClip looks like this (for example):
  1. E:\music\song1.mp3
  2. E:\music\song2.m4a
  3. E:\music\song3.ogg
  4. E:\music\song4.mp3

After the cmd file has run there will be a M3U file that looks like this:
  1. #EXTM3U
  2. E:\music\song1.mp3
  3. E:\music\song2.m4a
  4. E:\music\song3.ogg
  5. E:\music\song4.mp3

The cmd file is just an example, you don't have to turn it into an M3U playlist (but it is the simplest) - you could call a program directly to act upon the files selected.

Archive contains executable, source, and the example cmd file.

ExClip.au3 source:
Code: AutoIt [Select]
  1. #Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
  2. #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseUpx=n
  3. #EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
  4. ; http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/89833-windows-explorer-current-folder/page__st__40#entry973904
  5. #include <Array.au3>
  6. #include <File.au3>
  7. #include <Date.au3>
  9. Local $oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_ComErrFunc")
  11. If $CmdLine[0] = 1 Then
  12.         $sCmd = $CmdLine[1]
  13.         _ExClip()
  14.         Exit
  17. Func _ExClip()
  18.         $hExplr = WinActive("[REGEXPCLASS:(Explore|Cabinet)WClass]")
  19.         If $hExplr <> '' Then
  20.                 $aSelection = _ExplorerWinGetSelectedItems($hExplr)
  21.                 If $aSelection[0] > 0 Then
  22.                         $fName = @TempDir & "\" & _Date_Time_GetTickCount() & ".txt"
  23.                         _ArrayDelete($aSelection, 1)
  24. ;                       _ArrayDisplay($aSelection)
  25.                         _FileWriteFromArray($fName, $aSelection, 1)
  26.                         ShellExecute($sCmd, $fName)
  27.                 EndIf
  28.         EndIf
  29. EndFunc   ;==>_ExClip
  33. ; ==========================================================================================================================
  35. ; Func _ObjectSHFolderViewFromWin($hWnd)
  36. ;
  37. ; Returns an 'ShellFolderView' Object for the given Window handle
  38. ;
  39. ; Author: Ascend4nt, based on code by KaFu, klaus.s
  40. ; ==========================================================================================================================
  42. Func _ObjectSHFolderViewFromWin($hWnd)
  43.         If Not IsHWnd($hWnd) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
  44.         Local $oShell, $oShellWindows, $oIEObject, $oSHFolderView
  46.         ; Shell Object
  47.         $oShell = ObjCreate("Shell.Application")
  48.         If Not IsObj($oShell) Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
  50.         ;   Get a 'ShellWindows Collection' object
  51.         $oShellWindows = $oShell.Windows()
  52.         If Not IsObj($oShellWindows) Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
  54.         ;   Iterate through the collection - each of type 'InternetExplorer' Object
  56.         For $oIEObject In $oShellWindows
  57.                 If $oIEObject.HWND = $hWnd Then
  58.                         ; InternetExplorer->Document = ShellFolderView object
  59.                         $oSHFolderView = $oIEObject.Document
  60.                         If IsObj($oSHFolderView) Then Return $oSHFolderView
  61.                         Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
  62.                 EndIf
  63.         Next
  65.         Return SetError(-1, 0, 0)
  66. EndFunc   ;==>_ObjectSHFolderViewFromWin
  68. ; ==========================================================================================================================
  69. ; Func _ExplorerWinGetSelectedItems($hWnd)
  70. ;
  71. ;
  72. ; Author: klaus.s, KaFu, Ascend4nt (consolidation & cleanup, Path name simplification)
  73. ; ==========================================================================================================================
  75. Func _ExplorerWinGetSelectedItems($hWnd)
  76.         If Not IsHWnd($hWnd) Then Return SetError(1, 0, '')
  77.         Local $oSHFolderView
  78.         Local $iSelectedItems, $iCounter = 2, $aSelectedItems[2] = [0, ""]
  80.         $oSHFolderView = _ObjectSHFolderViewFromWin($hWnd)
  81.         If @error Then Return SetError(@error, 0, '')
  83.         ;   SelectedItems = FolderItems Collection object->Count
  84.         $iSelectedItems = $oSHFolderView.SelectedItems.Count
  86.         Dim $aSelectedItems[$iSelectedItems + 2] ; 2 extra -> 1 for count [0], 1 for Folder Path [1]
  88.         $aSelectedItems[0] = $iSelectedItems
  89.         ;   ShellFolderView->Folder->Self as 'FolderItem'->Path
  90.         $aSelectedItems[1] = $oSHFolderView.Folder.Self.Path
  92.         ;   ShellFolderView->SelectedItems = FolderItems Collection object
  93.         $oSelectedFolderItems = $oSHFolderView.SelectedItems
  95.         #cs
  96.                 ; For ALL items in an Explorer Window (not just the selected ones):
  97.                 $oSelectedFolderItems = $oSHFolderView.Folder.Items
  98.                 ReDim $aSelectedItems[$oSelectedFolderItems.Count+2]
  99.         #ce
  101.         For $oFolderItem In $oSelectedFolderItems
  102.                 $aSelectedItems[$iCounter] = $oFolderItem.Path
  103.                 $iCounter += 1
  104.         Next
  106.         Return SetExtended($iCounter - 2, $aSelectedItems)
  107. EndFunc   ;==>_ExplorerWinGetSelectedItems
  109. Func _ComErrFunc($oError)
  110.         ConsoleWrite("COM Error occurred:" & @CRLF & _
  111.                         "Number: " & @TAB & $oError.number & @CRLF & _
  112.                         "Windescription:" & @TAB & $oError.windescription & @CRLF & _
  113.                         "Description is: " & @TAB & $oError.description & @CRLF & _
  114.                         "Source is: " & @TAB & $oError.source & @CRLF & _
  115.                         "Helpfile is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpfile & @CRLF & _
  116.                         "Helpcontext is: " & @TAB & $oError.helpcontext & @CRLF & _
  117.                         "Lastdllerror is: " & @TAB & $oError.lastdllerror & @CRLF & _
  118.                         "Scriptline is: " & @TAB & $oError.scriptline & @CRLF & _
  119.                         "Retcode is: " & @TAB & $oError.retcode & @CRLF & @CRLF)
  120. EndFunc   ;==>_ComErrFunc

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wat.gif"IDEA" : Key to Replace Context Menu R-Clik Program Start On Selected

Something like this you were thinking off? I set the hotkey to ALT + L in this case and it is hardcoded to open VLC, but with a bit more work it could be configurable with an ini file or something.

Currently I am just running the application with the file names sent in as arguments, so any media player you'd want to run this with needs to be able to do that (or be able to do it with some argument flags)
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser