topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: cross-browser bookmark flexibility  (Read 2829 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cross-browser bookmark flexibility
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:38 PM »
First, let me say that I use Linkman as my all purpose bookmark keeper, and have it working excellently with multiple browsers at one time. Firefox Quantum ESR, Chrome, Pale Moon Waterfox, Opera and many others can all be used with Linkman. There is little or no architectural variance.  You get the Linkman button in the toolbar, and then add (using port 81, so as not to clash with Skype) and edit bookmarks either from the toolbar or from their drop basket, a frog which floats in the moat.  All excellent there, and highly recommended.  And I do lots of jiggling to keep information there, based on keyword linkage.

===============

My normal bookmarks, for super-quick access, work on the bookmark bar, about 20 folders - health, biz, puter, scripture, and lots of easy access stuff there.  And I like to drop new stuff in. I do not have to change the structure, e.g. adding folders, except every blue moon.

This bookmark bar can be replicated on Pale Moon, and any other browser that will import the file.

Right now I simply keep Firefox Quantum as my master, and switch back there when I want to add.

My goal is to be able to add to maybe 3 or more browsers that all have the same bookmark structure.  And then every once in a while, maybe weekly, put all the additions together.  If a subfolder was added in one browser, and a different subfolder was added in another browser, I would like both to be in the new master structure.  And I am not worried about deletions, changes of names and stuff like that. I would be aware than changing names would create duplicates.

Is this pseudo-synchronization idea feasible? How?

Your thoughts welcome!

Steven

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: cross-browser bookmark flexibility
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 10:37 AM »
For each of your browsers, the bookmarks are backed up as a HTML file, usually with a simple structure. Therefore it should be possible to merge those files into one. And there appears to be a tool for it.

After the merger you might have a need for an extension to clean out possible double entries (or empty ones).

Or look on this page (raymond.cc) for 5 more alternatives. Although the information seems not to be that recent anymore, it could still be useful for your intends and purposes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:25 AM by Shades »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: cross-browser bookmark flexibility
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Thanks. Great references.

First, I am looking at Atavi and comparing it to Raindrop.io and others as my cloud bookmark from Firefox. (Working with Limkman is more complex because of the 100K count.)

Then back to merging and dupes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:19 AM by Steven Avery »