topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 7:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A way you can help DonationCoder.com  (Read 8546 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A way you can help DonationCoder.com
« on: July 03, 2005, 10:29 AM »
Just thought i would mention something - DonationCoder.com relies on word of mouth to let people know about our site.

If you come across one of our programs on a freeware/shareware download site, and they have a place for users to add their comments/ratings, and you are an actual user of that program and like it, please consider adding a comment or rating.

Note that I don't want anyone to leave comments or positive ratings for programs they don't use(!) - i'm just asking that you consider taking the time to add comments and ratings for programs that you actually use when such a facility is available.

People really like to know that others are using a program and like it, and like the company that makes it.  And so few programs ever get rated or commented on that i think it can mean the difference between someone visiting the site to check out a program or ignoring it.

In a similar spirit, if you see a discussion about "what's the best program to do ..." and DonationCoder.com has done a review on this topic, consider giving them a link to our review of the category.

Of course always be considerate of any forum guidelines, etc. - the last thing we want to do is be guilty of spamming.  I'm just asking that you keep your eyes open for the appropriate place to point people to our site/software, and asking that you take the time to do so when appropriate.

I usually ask people how they heard about us when they donate, and they almost always mention some blog or forum post, which alerted them to one of our programs or reviews, so it makes a huge difference.

thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 09:42 AM by mouser »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A way you can help DonationCoder.com
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Great idea. One nice thing about DCC reviews is that they can serve to dispel common misconceptions. For example, after the Best Text Editor review came out, few were aware that PSPad's wordwrap was still broken, and posting a link to DCC clarified that flaw.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:35 AM »
also something else should be mentioned:

don't just do this with regard to donationcoder.com,

many download sites have a way for people to leave comments, and if there is a program you really like (especially a freeware tool), do a nice thing and add a comment at the download site saying so.  freeware programs benefit most from word of mouth and comments like this - it's a nice way to show your appreciation for such programs.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 04:25 AM »
another request:

we manage to get pretty serious discounts for programs because we don't take commissions.
often our discounts are better than you'd find anywhere else.

but not enough people know about them to take advantage of them, which is a real shame.

if you're a member of a forum where it would be appropriate, please do let others know about our discounts (but only where it wouldn't be considered spamming please).

clif_notes

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • View Profile
    • Clif Notes Newsletter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:57 PM »
PSPad wordwrap was (is) broken? :o
Darn, here all this time I thought I was doing something wrong.

I used to cuss at my pages when I posted them and found run-together words in funny spots.

Devoted to promoting freeware and free information

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 08:38 AM »
Just thought i would mention something - DonationCoder.com relies on word of mouth to let people know about our site.

Something seems to be working.  I haven't been here long, and I can practically see the Total Members counter clicking over.  Maybe because there's a more sensible level of conversation and better manners than usenet, plus the presence of some of the actual authors?

Just out of interest, have you got a graph of total members and total posts against time?

[slightly later]  Oh, I see More Stats gives some of that detail, though it only goes back to March.  Is that when you started?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 08:41 AM by rjbull »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:47 AM »
yep, march is when the site opened - not too long ago.
forum membership has gone up very dramatically since we required users to join forum in order to generate freeware license keys, so probably  just looking at forum membership is not going to be too informative.. would be nice to look at posts over time though :)