ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Should we add graphics (and other) challenges to the self-teaching school?

<< < (2/3) > >>

mitzevo:
Yes, I agree. Deal with gimp and other free image editing software.. Photoshop is covered by far on tons of other sites.. like thousands..

yacht_boy:
I'm all for free tutorials of any kind.  BTW, I've got a bunch of free programming books up over at http://textbookrevolution.org/tag/programming/ if you're looking for help on a particular topic.

Jason

Carol Haynes:
Yes, I agree. Deal with gimp and other free image editing software.. Photoshop is covered by far on tons of other sites.. like thousands..
-mitzevo (August 10, 2006, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

You want some GIMP tutorials ... here are over 4,000,000 (LOL)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=GIMP%20tutorials

Relating to the learning section I think there are endless tutorials out there for almost everything - esp. Photoshop. We did discuss in another thread bringing together a tutorial list for PhotoShop (and other apps if people want them) but rather than just pointing to a site with tutorials collect related (and tested) tutorials in related areas of interest (eg. Touching up skin blemishes etc) which I think would be a good idea. I wouldn't mind editing such a list once my exams are over at the end of October.

If you want assignments and constructive criticism try www.lvsonline.com who offer really cheap taught courses (~$25 for the first course, includes $5 registration, and $20 for subsequent courses)  in a lot of graphics packages amongst other things.

They are friendly courses taken online and you submit your assignments online but you do get to see what other students are up to and get personal feedback from a tutor. The tutors I encountered were really good and helpful.

mouser:
let's remember, leaving aside whether this is a good idea or not, the section we are talking about here will not have tutorials and lessons - i definitely think that is definitely better done on a site devoted to that purpose.

the same thing holds with lessons and tutorials on how to program.  there are other great sites for that and i think it would be a mistake for us to try to do it also.  what the self-teaching programming school section here does is just offer a "ladder" (and increasingly difficult sequence) of assignments/challenges that the user can use to help motivate themself.  so that is the only thing up for debate here really, whether we might add ladders of self-teaching assignments/challenges for graphics programs and other tools, not just programming languages.

mitzevo:
on second thoughts I don't think it's a good idea.. This is a software site, not a graphics site. Although graphic programs are software.. there are many sited devoted to learning how to use software programs.. This site should focus on other things, like.. the best of the best software you can find any where.. or some thing  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version