topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Should we add graphics (and other) challenges to the self-teaching school?

Yes, I am interested in this
17 (54.8%)
No, other sites already handle this area well enough
6 (19.4%)
Don't know or don't care
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Should we add graphics (and other) challenges to the self-teaching school?  (Read 14101 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The programming school section of our forum (https://www.donation...index.php?board=77.0) let's people learn at their own pace by proceeding through a ladder of increasingly difficult assignments.

It has been suggested that we extend this perhaps to include things like lessons in photoshop or graphics techniques in general.
It could also be extended to include audio processing, math, etc.

Are people interested in this?  Is anyone willing to volunteer to make up assignments for such sections? What sections should we add?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 02:44 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
one of the nice things about this section is that it really doesnt require much work to maintain it; people just tackle the assignments on their own and its not like anyone has to actively be there to teach them, so it's not a big commitment.  it's just a matter of thinking up some assignments.  the only real downside is whether people wouldn't be better off being just pointed to some serious website devoted to learning graphics techniques, etc.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unless it can be specifically geared towards something programming related with graphics, to me it would seem to be out of place....

About as out of place as adding crochet lessons. (even though reading/writting some types of patterns can be like asm code)

btw...if you add crochet, that section is MINE!   ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i don't really see the point unless it was offering something that cannot be found elsewhere.

perhaps offerring lessons in how to use 'free' or 'cheap' software would be more appropriate: things like the 'gimp' and 'audacity'.

i've not used the gimp for more than five minutes but i'd (probably) have a go at making a few lessons in how to use it if enough people were interested - but i'm sure there will be places that already do this(?)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
agree with nudone. I'd love some Gimp assignments. How about an assignment to create Cody (in different habitats/settings?)? Or would that infringe on nudones Cody copyright?

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I agree. Deal with gimp and other free image editing software.. Photoshop is covered by far on tons of other sites.. like thousands..
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

yacht_boy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm all for free tutorials of any kind.  BTW, I've got a bunch of free programming books up over at http://textbookrevol...org/tag/programming/ if you're looking for help on a particular topic.

Jason

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, I agree. Deal with gimp and other free image editing software.. Photoshop is covered by far on tons of other sites.. like thousands..

You want some GIMP tutorials ... here are over 4,000,000 (LOL)

http://www.google.co...h?q=GIMP%20tutorials

Relating to the learning section I think there are endless tutorials out there for almost everything - esp. Photoshop. We did discuss in another thread bringing together a tutorial list for PhotoShop (and other apps if people want them) but rather than just pointing to a site with tutorials collect related (and tested) tutorials in related areas of interest (eg. Touching up skin blemishes etc) which I think would be a good idea. I wouldn't mind editing such a list once my exams are over at the end of October.

If you want assignments and constructive criticism try www.lvsonline.com who offer really cheap taught courses (~$25 for the first course, includes $5 registration, and $20 for subsequent courses)  in a lot of graphics packages amongst other things.

They are friendly courses taken online and you submit your assignments online but you do get to see what other students are up to and get personal feedback from a tutor. The tutors I encountered were really good and helpful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 06:41 PM by Carol Haynes »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
let's remember, leaving aside whether this is a good idea or not, the section we are talking about here will not have tutorials and lessons - i definitely think that is definitely better done on a site devoted to that purpose.

the same thing holds with lessons and tutorials on how to program.  there are other great sites for that and i think it would be a mistake for us to try to do it also.  what the self-teaching programming school section here does is just offer a "ladder" (and increasingly difficult sequence) of assignments/challenges that the user can use to help motivate themself.  so that is the only thing up for debate here really, whether we might add ladders of self-teaching assignments/challenges for graphics programs and other tools, not just programming languages.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
on second thoughts I don't think it's a good idea.. This is a software site, not a graphics site. Although graphic programs are software.. there are many sited devoted to learning how to use software programs.. This site should focus on other things, like.. the best of the best software you can find any where.. or some thing  :huh:
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
agree with nudone. I'd love some Gimp assignments. How about an assignment to create Cody (in different habitats/settings?)? Or would that infringe on nudones Cody copyright?

depending on what is finally decided i could set up an assignment for this - probably using the gimp unless something else was preferred.