topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kill me if you want (buying good, cheap and pretty two hard disks)  (Read 9482 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I finally bought :
I bought a 10 TB classical hard disk

and a 2 TB SSD disk

https://es.aliexpres...1.0.0.13f363c0WdQO5B

https://www.ebay.es/...p2057872.m2749.l2649

I think the second is better than the first.

Opinions please. Be merciful if you want. The SSD is for the laptop in substitution of the old one.
The other is for the data disk desktop.

:-[

Notes :
TLC (Triple Level Cell)

Storing 3 bits per cell, TLC flash is the cheapest form of flash to manufacture. The biggest disadvantage to this type of flash is that it is only suitable for consumer usage, and would not be able to meet the standards for industrial use. Read/write life cycles are considerably shorter at 3,000 to 5,000 cycles per cell.

Pros:

Cheapest to manufacture which in turn leads to cheaper to market SSDs.

Cons:

Cells will survive considerably less read/write cycles compared to MLC NAND. This means that TLC flash is good for consumer use only.

Recommended for:

Everyday consumer use, web/email machines, netbooks, and tablets.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:32 PM by Contro »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kill me if you want
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25 AM »
!! Contro, we will probably kill you first for forcing us to follow your links -- not for buying what you want ;-) :P

Could you please tell us (in the post above) what you actually bought, thanks.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:30 AM »
!! Contro, we will probably kill you first for forcing us to follow your links -- not for buying what you want ;-)

Or for posting topics titles that are misleading..

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 02:30 PM »
Glupsssssss  :-[

I bought a 10 TB classical hard disk

and a 2 TB SSD disk

:-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kill me if you want (buying good, cheap and pretty two hard disks)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Ejem.
Somebody can tell me if the KingSpec 2.5 hdd SATA 3 SSD 2TB 2.5 hd Internal Solid State Drive For Laptop Computer can be used and installed in Asus X555LD ?
I am reading an article that says that SSD have the same size 2.5", but may vary in height.....

:o

P.D. I have made this question to the vendor after selling.....  :-\

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 12:40 AM »
Somebody can tell me if the KingSpec 2.5 hdd SATA 3 SSD 2TB 2.5 hd Internal Solid State Drive For Laptop Computer can be used and installed in Asus X555LD ?
I am reading an article that says that SSD have the same size 2.5", but may vary in height.....

2.5" drives are either 7mm (SSD, some HDD) or 9.5mm high, (HDD, old SSD - usually what you find in laptops).

Some SSD manufacturers supply a plastic spacer with the SSD to make up the 9.5mm height if required, (to stop it rattling and possibly ensure the SATA connector is at the right height - use a bit of cardboard).

Some 2.5" HDDs are 12.5mm in height, (multi-platter), only really see these in high capacity portable external storage.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 03:18 AM »

2.5" drives are either 7mm (SSD, some HDD) or 9.5mm high, (HDD, old SSD - usually what you find in laptops).

Some SSD manufacturers supply a plastic spacer with the SSD to make up the 9.5mm height if required, (to stop it rattling and possibly ensure the SATA connector is at the right height - use a bit of cardboard).

Some 2.5" HDDs are 12.5mm in height, (multi-platter), only really see these in high capacity portable external storage.
Thanks 4wd . I assume is possible. I haven't received the supplier response yet.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 07:53 AM »
I consulted directly with asus via chat.
I have cancel the ssd 2 TB shopping

I have a laptop Asus X555LD.
Only supports this HDD and SSD :

- 320GB 5400 RPM - 500GB 5400 RPM - 750GB 5400 RPM - 1TB 5400 RPM - 500GB 7200 RPM - 750GB 7200 RPM

soportaria uno ssd de 512gb
only 512 GB supported in SSD.

Not possible 2 TB SSD by the laptop motherboard.

:(

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 09:23 AM »
It's a nightmare !!!!!

Compatible or not compatible !

I really don't understand. The 10 TB is not compatible !

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Asus technician tells me is not going to function well a 10 TB hdd
incompatibility with the operating system and incompatibility with the hardware....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 09:47 AM »

trying to cancel the shipping...
 >:(

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Waiting for the answer of the suppliers.

Kill me if you want !!!!!!!!!!!
 :down: :-[ >:( :(

I hope the present  :-* ;D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 10:03 AM »
It's the second time the reality reveal a complexity.
The first was when I try with success to have six monitor with my desktop.

But this time seems an impossible subject.
Compatibility for Asus is simply the proofs to certify , Affirms compatibility but don't say nothing of the rest.
So any device out of the compatibility list may be compatible or not.
The real thing is that only a few articles are tested. So exist the possibility of going well....
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 10:05 AM »
The laptop have a difficult solution or answer. Reorganizing will be the answer probably.
i have the hdd maximum now : 1 TB.
The compatiblity list from Asus seems more determining because offer a general vision of what sort of disks may serve.

IN the case of my desktop I am asking the supplier for others disks....

I will inform you.

Best Regards

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Contro, please stop making so many posts with very little info -- please wait until you know what is going on, then make one post instead of many.
Thank you :-*

Re compatibility, what is your OS?
I'm sure you can very easily find out online what is possible in terms of HD/SSD size and whether there are workarounds etc.
Have you done a search?
Tom

highend01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Have you done a search?
Rofl, seriously?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Have you done a search?
Rofl, seriously?
it was more of a suggestion than a question.
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 04:53 PM »
I am consulting in super specialized forums.
I have changed the ssd disk to Crucial. The difference is about 70 $.
I am trying finally to obtain the hitachi 10 TB. Almost all forums tells me I can use. Only Asus denies, but Asus understand its compatibility list as the hard drives they have tested. That usually are a few from other suppliers and all they have.
They do the same with the ssd disk and the laptop. So when they say something is interested.
The problem is that i can't trust in any supplier. I prefer to trust in customers . So I am delaying the decission until I find a really understanding customer.
An additional problem I have is only a few suppliers for Canary Islands. And sometimes they serve but don't tramit the taxes...

Best Regards

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 01:17 AM »
The problem is that i can't trust in any supplier. I prefer to trust in customers . So I am delaying the decission until I find a really understanding customer.
Sorry if I sound a little harsh (and I may be repeating myself...), but why are you asking for approval (that's what it sounds like to me, instead of advice), and already order the goods without waiting for or taking any of the tips you can have here?
If that's you way of proceeding, then just tell us what you bought, including photos, and why,
Spoiler
without cluttering the forum with endless rants and irrelevant info.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 02:11 PM »
Hardware in laptops is pretty set during the design period and in 99.9% of cases cannot be altered once production has started.

The hardware parts in the laptop have their physical limitations and some imposed by not willing or being able to get licensing right for certain functionality in the hardware parts. There is also expectation of the manufacturer. Most people don't have/want hardware support for the latest/greatest hardware, if that means that they have to pay (a lot) more for laptops. And as laptops prices are always a fight to the bottom, whatever the manufacturer can skimp on, they will.

2 TByte as max storage capacity means they can save quite some money on licensing/patents etc. On a general note: 10 TByte drives are more intended for use in desktops/servers, not laptops. Servers/desktops have more options to get rid of excessive heat. Something that laptops by definition have not. Besides that, 10 TByte storage in a laptop...never a good idea. Chances of data-loss or theft become way too high. And if you really have such huge files to process, you will be much more productive on a properly outfitted workstation than on any laptop.

As the forums say that you can use the drive, how do they mean that? The BIOS/UEFI hardware in your laptop may be limited to 2 TByte. So it may be the case that you cannot use all of the drive, or only have partitions on it that are limited to max 2 Tbyte. So regarding usability of 10 TByte drives in your Asus laptop, you better ask what is meant by being usable and if that fits with your expectations. Likely those are not matched.

Laptops, they are better than nothing....but not by much.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Be very careful about buying cheap storage (hard drives, ssd, sd cards, flash drives, etc.) especially if they are advertised as having a high capacity. Even if it appears to be a reputable brand. They may not be as advertised, and you might not find out till later, when you lose your data.

A lot of these drives are actually small capacity, and have firmware that erroneously reports them as being much larger than they really are, and copying files to it just loops around when it's full, and overwrites older files, without your knowledge, causing major file corruption.

And manufacturers don't honor warranties on counterfeits of their products, so you won't even get a replacement when it fails.

And if you think you are safe buying them from Amazon, just know that the same merchants that are selling this crap on Wish, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc. also sell it on Amazon and other sites. (always buy a reputable brand, sold and shipped by Amazon, themselves, to avoid the counterfeits and scams)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Hardware in laptops is pretty set during the design period and in 99.9% of cases cannot be altered once production has started.

The hardware parts in the laptop have their physical limitations and some imposed by not willing or being able to get licensing right for certain functionality in the hardware parts. There is also expectation of the manufacturer. Most people don't have/want hardware support for the latest/greatest hardware, if that means that they have to pay (a lot) more for laptops. And as laptops prices are always a fight to the bottom, whatever the manufacturer can skimp on, they will.

2 TByte as max storage capacity means they can save quite some money on licensing/patents etc. On a general note: 10 TByte drives are more intended for use in desktops/servers, not laptops. Servers/desktops have more options to get rid of excessive heat. Something that laptops by definition have not. Besides that, 10 TByte storage in a laptop...never a good idea. Chances of data-loss or theft become way too high. And if you really have such huge files to process, you will be much more productive on a properly outfitted workstation than on any laptop.

As the forums say that you can use the drive, how do they mean that? The BIOS/UEFI hardware in your laptop may be limited to 2 TByte. So it may be the case that you cannot use all of the drive, or only have partitions on it that are limited to max 2 Tbyte. So regarding usability of 10 TByte drives in your Asus laptop, you better ask what is meant by being usable and if that fits with your expectations. Likely those are not matched.

Laptops, they are better than nothing....but not by much.

I am trying the 2 TB SSD drive for the laptop
The 10 TB HDD for the desktop
The 10 TB HDD first selected cannot be delivered to canary islands. Have good applauses from almost everybody.
The 2 TB SSD was discalified by some and decided to cancel the shipment.

At this moment Shades I have received three units pendrive 256 GB and i am testing. The first fails...  :-[

I am not very glad with the 128 GB pendrive I bought some days ago. May be my fault for copying the files from one pendrive to another. But trying.

But those are other posts and I will comment in those posts...

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Be very careful about buying cheap storage (hard drives, ssd, sd cards, flash drives, etc.) especially if they are advertised as having a high capacity. Even if it appears to be a reputable brand. They may not be as advertised, and you might not find out till later, when you lose your data.

A lot of these drives are actually small capacity, and have firmware that erroneously reports them as being much larger than they really are, and copying files to it just loops around when it's full, and overwrites older files, without your knowledge, causing major file corruption.

And manufacturers don't honor warranties on counterfeits of their products, so you won't even get a replacement when it fails.

And if you think you are safe buying them from Amazon, just know that the same merchants that are selling this crap on Wish, Aliexpress, Ebay, etc. also sell it on Amazon and other sites. (always buy a reputable brand, sold and shipped by Amazon, themselves, to avoid the counterfeits and scams)
Ejem....

Certainly is a risk.
So i am testing in this moment a pendrive of 256 GB. I will inform you when open the corresponding post in detail.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2019, 06:18 AM »
Sorry if I sound a little harsh (and I may be repeating myself...), but why are you asking for approval (that's what it sounds like to me, instead of advice), and already order the goods without waiting for or taking any of the tips you can have here?
If that's you way of proceeding, then just tell us what you bought, including photos, and why,
Spoiler
without cluttering the forum with endless rants and irrelevant info.

Don't worry. Be happy.
Is not my intention bother you.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 07:22 AM »
At this moment I have no much time to post. Too much work.
But I compromise to inform you.
I finally don't buy any of the hard drives.
I continue with this project and I will inform you with the results.
About the 2 TB for my laptop I have to say is interesting if the actual hardisk fails. I am using an external hard drives for over space.

Best Regards.
P.D. I am searching for the post I did about high capacity pendrives. For me have benn a complete disaster and bad moments.
Like app103 told me I am cancelling shopping with Ali Express because its politics and defense of sellers of fake material.