ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

BB Codes documentation

(1/2) > >>

housetier:
What is BB Codes?

With BB Codes we mean those things that make your posts look fancy. For example, we have bold, italics, underline, strikethrough; and many more. Basically everything with [brackets] is a so called BB code.

They are very similar to <html>-tags.

Isn't it totally obvious?

The experienced forum user will find these blatantly obvious to use. In fact, they are used in many many forums all over the internet. Despite their popularity, some users might not know how to use them, or how to make more use of them.

I often find myself in a situation where I am looking for a certain feature, but don't know which [bbcode] to use, or how to use one of theses [tags]. Usually I go to the Simplemachines website and search their documentation.

Ok, what's with the documentation now?

Very often I end up at this list of Basic BB Codes, so I figured they might be useful to you as well.

There is also documentation of Advanced BB Codes here, but I am not sure if they can be used here at donationcoder.com.

What are you favorite [bbcodes]?

[o][url]for URLs[/url]; the web is all about hyperlinking
[o][b]for bold[/b]; we do have important things to say, no?
[o][attachthumb=1] to inline a thumbnail of an attached image; VERY useful for reviews with screenshots
[o][quote]for quotations[/quote]
[o][spoiler]buttons hide&show[/spoiler], use your imagination and do fun stuff with this one
[/list]

Those are the ones I use most. Oh, and don't forget about the smilies: ;D :) :D :-* :P make these smilies: ;D :) :D :-* :P

Why do I care?

I hope this will help you write better posts. "Better" as in "looking like you wanted it to look".  :P

Carol Haynes:
Well done for putting that up - very useful - and I learned something new - to NOBBC tag !! Saves using CODE tags to be able to display the BBC tags.

By the way the standard BB Code tags referenced by SMF boards are lissted here but obviously doesn't include mouser added tags such as SPOILER and ATTACHIMG etc.

mouser:
by the way i also added a COMMENT tag you can use to temporarily comment out stuff from displaying.  just surround the text by comment and /comment.

Josh:
Dont forget my favorites!

Ampa:
Now if only there were a way to limit the width of a table... <sigh> :)

Mouser and I were talking about this the other day (at present tables expand to the entire width of the browser window before wordwrapping) but there aren't any mods to achieve this at the moment.
Also changing cell colour and column / row spanning would be great too ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version