ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

also check out process lasso (new free lite version)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Scott:

Knowing a little about the command line interface can really help a lot.  You might be surprised with some things you can do with it.  As one small example, I use this shortcut target to observe my PendingFileRenameOperations value, using Sysinternals PendMoves utility.

cmd.exe /c pendmoves & pause & exit

(Of course, this requires that pendmoves.exe be in %path%...)

OT but I figured I'd mention it.  Bastard that I am.

mouser:
nice, i had no idea you could do that. cool.

Sentinel:
He says "Windows provides no method to set the default process priority for specific processes".  Not entirely true, since the START command offers exactly that.
-Scott (July 02, 2005, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

You are correct about the start method for setting initial priorities, although it is a little messy when it comes to launching processes from icons as you have the console window popup each time you launch an app.  Of course this can be minimised, but you still get an additional process on the taskbar for a couple of seconds.  There is also all the fiddling about setting the icon back to the original and considering additional switches to provide the functionality the .lnk is providing to the cmd console rather than to your app.  Sure, this is fine when you have a single app priority you wish to change, but when you have 30+ it become unpleasant.  It brings back so many bad memories.  :o

There is also Microsoft Windows Resource Manager (which ships with 2003) which gives the ability to pre-define process priority on many different criteria (and does an awful lot more besides).  It is only licensed to operation on 2003 server though. 

I've been using Process Lasso Pro (Process Supervisor back then) for some time on my personal server and have found it to be an excellent product.  The main advantage is it allows the changing of priorities for processes owned by other users, providing it is being run as an Admin equiv.  Attempting the same task via Task Manager will only get you 'access denied'.

I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you run processes/services as several different users or are running a Citrix server.

Scott:

I was, of course, just answering mouser's question.  I suppose it's nice to at least know that you can use the native command line facility for this purpose.  It can also be handy to use in batch files.  And it doesn't cost an additional $20 (with one of those greedy, senseless "one-year" update policies).

Sentinel:
I have to agree with you on the update policy.  At least the Bitsum products are frequently updated.  I've been stung too many times by support expiring a few weeks before a new version of an app is released or getting not a single update within a year.  :-[

Another good command-line/batch utility for managing process priorities is PrcView.  It supports launching of processes at set priorites as well as giving the ability to change the priority of a running process.

http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

I also find PsSuspend from Sysinternals is really useful as it allows tasks to be completely suspended like in UNIX.  For anyone interested, you can get it from: -

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsTools.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version