topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Windows 98SE Copy/move replacement/enhancement w/ auto rename  (Read 13367 times)

thezenarcher

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, there are 3rd party apps which can accomplish this, but they each have their annoyances, or are dedicated to certain file types, and yes, I run an antique OS, and yes, I'm going slowly mad.

So: is it possible to build a replacement or enhancement for the native Windows' copy/move functions such that if files in the destination directory have the same name as files to be moved, one or the other is automatically renamed?

Eg: moving "1.txt" to a folder containing "1.txt" results in the destination folder containing "1.txt" and "1_renamed.txt" -- or whatever rename parameters?

Is that really asking so much?  !pleH
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 03:40 AM by brotherS »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows (98SE) "Copy/move" replacement/enhancement w/ auto rename
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:16 PM »
i can't honestly remember but i 'think' CopyHandler will do it - it's worth a try...

http://copyhandler.c...dex.php?page=ch1desc

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 05:18 PM »
I am not enthused by Windows' s Copy/Paste, so certainly welcome suggestions for alternatives.
I currently use Ycopy and this Copy Handler seems interesting as it is integrated in the context menu. Is it safe/bugfree to use?

Regarding the OP request I believe that SuperFlexible File Synchronizer can save copies of replaced files (configurable):
http://www.superflexible.com/

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 07:59 PM »
there is another program called SuperCopier 2, currently in beta. The site is in French but there is a link to download and report bugs.

SuperCopier2: Configuration screens
SuperCopier2-config.png

SuperCopier2-config2.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:18 PM »
nice find lanux, that looks great.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 10:28 PM »
nice find lanux, that looks great.
aye, eventhough i had tried CopyHandler earlier, now i find myself using SuperCopier 2 more frequently... :up:

btw, tks for the DC tip. :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 02:36 AM »
lanux128, thanks for mentioning 'supercopier2'. i never really got on with the 'copyhandler' interface so i think i'll be using 'supercopier2' from now on.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 05:07 AM »
More or less the same problem, and a solution, were mentioned in TinyApps Blog
http://tinyapps.org/..._drop_plus_plus.html

Sanity check: DROP++ is written in compiled AutoIt, so you would need to check whether it will run on Win98.

Question about drag & drop with auto incrementing of filenames #
Is there a method for dragging and dropping a list of files with the same name into a new folder and have them automatically increment the filenames rather than give an overwrite warning? Two instances where I've seen this work: when dragging files from a search result window into Nero (screenshot) and when dragging email messages from Outlook Express into Explorer. I'm not looking for a renamer to change the original filenames, but rather a way to create new files with incremented names. Answers sent to "mail AT tinyapps DOT org" will be appended to this post.

UPDATE: Jorg Kliemann has kindly crafted a solution.

DROP++
Jorg Kliemann has generously crafted DROP++ (source available here) using AutoIt (itself a mostly open source project) to address the drag & drop overwrite problem mentioned recently. Simply drag and drop a group of files from search results or any other Explorer window onto its icon; DROP++ will copy the files and autoincrement the resulting filenames. If you're tired of seeing "Confirm File Replace - This folder already contains a file named foo. Would you like to replace the existing file with this one?", give DROP++ a try. (By the way, holding Shift while clicking No to the above dialog behaves like "No to All", which is otherwise not provided.)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 08:29 PM »
i never really got on with the 'copyhandler' interface so i think i'll be using 'supercopier2' from now on.
welcome aboard, nudone... :Thmbsup:

tanatos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 01:22 AM »
if the problem isn't solved i could code such a tool... :-\

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 02:16 AM »
if the problem isn't solved i could code such a tool...

please go ahead, it's always better to have choices.

it's great that SuperCopier 2 can get rid of this confirmation dialog: see attachment.
but after exit SuperCopier 2 the confirmation is gone, even uninstall SuperCopier 2 wont get back the confirmation, so SuperCopier 2 is messing up the system.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 02:32 AM »
it would certainly be a nice thing to see a new 'copier' util that incorporated the suggestions of DC members as i'm sure there will be plenty of well considered ideas.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 10:25 PM »
... even uninstall SuperCopier 2 wont get back the confirmation, so SuperCopier 2 is messing up the system.

well this being beta version, there's bound to be glitches. the author also encourages everyone to report bugs lingering in the program.
This is a Beta version so You are encouraged to report bugs in THIS forum section. Please read the sticky message before posting.
-supercopier.sfxteam.org

thezenarcher

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Thanks to all -- will check out suggestions, with the exception of SuperCopier2, which I have tried, but which has one or two quirks which (currently, at least) annoy me -- eg, I have a hidden directory (keeps the kids out) and SC2 relies on the standard Explorer interface for selecting folders, such that my hidden folder is unselectable because it's invisible, which makes me have to drag 'n' drop which makes me peeved at the world. So there. Don't get me started...  THX TZA

polski8

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Windows 98SE Copy/move replacement/enhancement w/ auto rename
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 06:34 PM »
I love Supercopier! I have had no problems with it at all. I know what the problem is with the dialog. I doesn't really mess up your system.

The problem is that Supercopier deletes the normal registry entries then re-creates them into it's own key. When you uninstall Supercopier, it deletes all of the Supercopier keys from the registry, hence the commands are gone. So the simple solution is to download one of the free programs on Shell Extention City (shellcity.net) and run it. there are about 6 of them which add the commands back in for you, or to back up the registry key into a .reg file, then when you uninstall Supercopier, just double-click on your backup to add the commands back in.

I'm going to ask for something on a new thread, but since it is almost the same, I might as well ask here, too.

What I would like is some sort of utility which would rename files being downloaded from the internet which have the same name. I do have a download manager which does this, but I do right click on some photos or other types of files, and choose "save as." Seems like every site on the internet all name their files the same name. Is there some sort of utility which will automatically rename them if the file already exists, without all sorts of dialog, warnings and questions?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 10:18 PM »
The problem is that Supercopier deletes the normal registry entries then re-creates them into it's own key. When you uninstall Supercopier, it deletes all of the Supercopier keys from the registry, hence the commands are gone.

hi there polski8,

your observation is very interesting. may i know what registry keys are replaced? and also, can you give some more info on restoring them with the program that you mentioned..

thezenarcher

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:56 AM »
Humbug and happy new year to all. Still haven't found a satisfactory app for my auto-rename-on-copy needs, so here's an alternative snack which I'd gladly pay something terribly modest for (you try having three kids): a replacement for, or enhancement to, the native Win98SE Copy/Move service with a working "No To All" function, currently not available for my <i>OS ancien</i>... 

georges

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a very useful but not-so-known shortcut : on copy/move file confirmation dialog boxes, you can press the [Shift] key while clicking on the [No] Button to answer for all files.

Shift+N is also working.

Not tested on Win9x but should work.