ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Photography and Camera Related

<< < (4/4)

tomos:
1 bit is black and white (true or false).
-Deozaan (June 11, 2018, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
should have known this having worked with 1bit tiffs for years...

2 bits is 4 colors, which was the case for all GameBoy games as well.-Deozaan (June 11, 2018, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
initially I thought this was wrong --
and that it should be just black/grey/white -- with white being simply 'off' (i.e. bit#1 set to on would be black, bit#2 set to on would be grey). But of course that's all wrong, and you were right -- two bits is four colours. As one can *clearly* see if one looks at the images (I need a rolling-eyes smiley).

Wikipedia explains it as 2 squared -- another example: 6 bit colour would be 2 to the power of six (as opposed to 2*6, which was how I was thinking).

Deozaan:
Wikipedia explains it as 2 squared -- another example: 6 bit colour would be 2 to the power of six (as opposed to 2*6, which was how I was thinking).
-tomos (June 12, 2018, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly. Each bit is either true or false. So each additional bit is another power of two.

This is tangentially related to the Game Boy Camera, but I saw a video some time ago of some hardware hackers who reverse engineered the Game Boy [Camera] Printer which may be interesting:

tomos:
Photography and Camera Related

damn, look at all those lenses...

I remember reading about the plans for this camera a few years back. It was launched earlier this year, review quotes via the Verge article:
Light L16 camera review: futuristic frustration

The Light L16 camera is an engineering marvel. It takes 16 different smartphone-sized imaging modules, each carefully aligned behind a piece of glass, and uses them in concert with each other to create images that are bigger and better-looking than the results the individual cameras are capable of. It does all this in a form factor that’s two or three times thicker than, but not quite as wide as, an iPad mini, something that actually fits in a few pockets and is easy enough to stow in a bag. That’s Light’s selling point for this $2,000 camera: the L16 is ostensibly a full bag of camera gear in one body.
--- End quote ---

It's not a very positive review: slow; poor desktop software (which necessary for creating highest quality images); and mixed quality images. The fact they are already trying to replace that full bag of camera gear with various lenses is part of the problem imo: that's a worthy goal, but realistically is going to take a long time.

Another problem for Light is that this hardware has been a long time coming and smartphone manufacturers have starting implementing their own version of multiple lenses.

Light told me as recently as late last year that it was working with a smartphone manufacturer to incorporate its technology. It seems like the right fit for Light’s technology, but it’s unclear what part of the market the company was talking about. Maybe Light will give midtier smartphones a chance to compete with the iPhones and Samsungs of the world. It also may have missed the boat.
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
Reminds me of a spider or something Lovecraftian. :)

tomos:
from another thread, worth reading, especially if you find yourself wanting to buy a new fancy camera rather than *really* learn how to use the one you have.

13 Confessions of an Amateur Photographer
-Arizona Hot (January 28, 2019, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version