ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm running a pirated version of Windows and can't get caught!

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
Ed Bott's blog today contains this funny quote:

I'm reluctantly running a pirated version of Windows and can't get caught no matter how hard I try.
--- End quote ---

I just experienced a Windows Genuine Advantage failure. Only it’s not a false positive, like the horror stories I’ve been hearing for nearly two months now. No, this one was a false negative. The whole story says a lot about how Microsoft is approaching the WGA issue.

--- End quote ---

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=110

JavaJones:
This is classic.  ;D I agree with him, WGA seems pretty unreliable. Sure the *percentage* of false positives (or negatives) may not be that high, but in terms of actual numbers of people it seems to be an unacceptable level IMO. Especially if, as the article asserts, there are readily available keys online that are not yet blacklisted!

- Oshyan

Ampa:
Funny - but can't say I'm surprised.

Innuendo:
I think the kicker in regards to keys online that are not yet blacklisted the key he used was posted online in 2004. This bit of news coupled with the stories going around that non-pirated copies of Windows are being shut down by WGA make a person wonder what's going on in Redmond.

It certainly makes a case for buying a big-name brand PC from some place like Dell. They ship with specially programed Windows CDs that are tied to the BIOS. In the Dell example, if the Dell-branded Windows CD sees a Dell BIOS when you install it then a pre-activated copy of Windows is installed. You never have to deal with activation or WGA.

JavaJones:
Except the Dell, etc. install CD's usually bundle tons of useless "trialware", spyware, or worse, and you have to spend literally hours cleaning up afterward just to get your new "high-performance" computer running nicely. *sigh*

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version