topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Sticky Key Sounds  (Read 5562 times)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Sticky Key Sounds
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:32 AM »
As a person with a disability who uses the sticky keys provided with windows AND THE SOUNDS DON'T WORK ANYMORE  :mad:- I would love an app to give a sound when Shift, Ctrl or Alt is pressed. Preferably a customizable sound! (There are apps with keyboard sounds, but they make sounds with every keypress and are not customizable)!

Second, is it possible to have a shortcut key to make hidden files visible quickly, without having to open a folder, click folder options etc. etc....

Thanks CleverCat  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 03:41 AM by brotherS »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sticky Key Sounds
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 09:27 AM »
You can use an accessibilty feature in windows to make an on/off sound for caps lock, scroll lock and Num lock. Go to Control Panel, Accessibilty Options. On the key board TAB check "Use toggel keys"

To make Ctrl, Shift and Alt make sounds you can use an AutoHotKey script and keep it running in the background all the time ...

loop
{
Sleep, 10
if GetKeyState("Shift", "P")
 SoundBeep, 750, 500

if GetKeyState("Alt", "P")
 SoundBeep, 600, 500

if GetKeyState("Ctrl", "P")
 SoundBeep, 450, 500
}

If you haven't got AHK installed on your machine you can download it from www.autohotkey.com

The two numbers following SoundBeep represent the pitch followed by the duration of the sound so you can modify them as you want.

The script above is saved below as an AHK file, all you need to do is double click it to get it to run in your system tray.

If you can't be bothered download AutoHotKey you can just download the .exe version below (which is a compiled version of the script), just double click it to make it run.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 09:30 AM by Carol Haynes »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:37 AM »

Sorry it took me so long to reply!  :-[

None of my key sounds work in windows anymore....thanks for the tip about autohotkey-am downloading as we speak! Looks like it's just what I need! :Thmbsup:

Thanks a bunch Carol - will keep you posted on results!!

CleverCat... 8)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:29 AM »
I'm afraid the key sounds.exe didn't work on my pc. Am downloading ahk to try...