Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 02:47:25 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The start-up inflection point: Nice Blog Article  (Read 3592 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: August 07, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »

Nice Blog Article by Scott Berkun on challenges faced by startups as they hire..

There is one pattern in the tech sector that is so common, and so under-explored[1], that I’m compelled to talk about it here. I call it the start-up inflection point.

The basic premise:
  • Small engineering start-up is born, does well, hires like mad.
  • Heavy hiring bias for self-driven solo programmer prodigies.
  • Company grows; scores of engineers running around.
  • Soon primary challenge isn’t quality programmers: it’s organizing them.

No matter how self-directed programmers are, eventually their utility declines as ambiguities in direction, roles, goals and ownership become increasingly distracting and frustrating. The company is changing because of scale effects - but scale effects are hard to recognize, predict or compensate for. HIring more brilliant engineers won’t solve this problem.

JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:48:09 PM »

Sensible comments and advice I'd say. Whenever I read these sorts of articles about startups I always wonder how I'd handle the situation(s) in question. There is the natural tendency to think "I could deal with that", but I wonder how I would really react in an actual, practical situation like this. Only one way to find out: I must found a startup. Wink

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.025s | Server load: 0.19 ]