topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Playing games on other people's computers  (Read 3100 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Playing games on other people's computers
« on: January 10, 2019, 12:30 AM »
(You'll get the joke if you read about Tuxman's "UnClouder" plugin here -> https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=44611.0)

High-Performance Gaming, Accessible to Everyone
Forget about hardware: Shadow is a full Windows computer you can access through a simple app. Anything you can do on a high-end computer, you can do on Shadow.

So basically, Shadows is a remote computer that runs all the high-end graphics (currently an Intel Xeon with 12GB RAM, 256GB secure storage, and nVidia GTX 1080 graphics), and delivers it to you as a simple stream.  That makes it possible to run high-end games at max settings on a second-hand laptop with nothing more than a decent Internet connection. 
My first thought was that lag would render the games barely playable, but many reviews I've read say that the latency between you pushing a button and it showing on your screen is around 10ms or so, which is noticeable, but barely.  It's a pretty hefty subscription though (~$35/month USD), so I won't be trying it any time soon, but thought some folks here might find it interesting.

from a random post I saw somewhere

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Playing games on other people's computers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:43 PM »
I've actually been looking at this, and thought I'd posted about it here.  I've had a few friends who have trialed it and said it works really well.  One said he'd wait because it wasn't really that much better than his local box.  But I'm at the point where for gaming, I'm going to have to upgrade at some point.  So I've been really considering it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:52 PM »
1) It's all over the Internet.
2) It's not yet available in your country
-Shadow
:-\

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15 AM »
OnLivew, reborn?

See the following threads for related info:

The Unraveling of OnLive
OnLive.com has shut down....

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 06:06 PM »
OnLivew, reborn?

See the following threads for related info:

The Unraveling of OnLive
OnLive.com has shut down....

No, it's not the same concept.  You're actually renting a box with this.  And the prices are commensurate with that.  It's one of the reasons I've been seriously thinking about it; I had a box offsite that I RDP'd into no matter where I was, but I stopped renting it.  It was Windows Server though, so the price was a lot higher.  Because it's your own box, one of the biggest problems I had with OnLive is gone... the fact that the games that you are using are actually yours, and you aren't buying it from the service.