ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Program to Monitor Size of Specific Directories?

(1/1)

ragnar01:
I'm looking for a program/utility/widget that monitors the size of a (number of) directories and notifies the user when a preset size limit is reached. I can't believe noone has come up with something like this (ot more to the point, I can believe that I just haven't put in the right search terms so far).

Need/Concept is as follows:

I have a couple of unsophisticated users that have automatic or semi-automatic backup procedures enabled. The backup program writes zip files to a number of directories that I would like to have the users burn to CD or DVD when there is a reasonable amt of data to burn. What I would like to find is a program that runs in the background and monitors 1-5 directories and checks their size against a specified size. If the directory reaches (say) 75% of specified size a warning would show up on the desktop (say a yellow flashing light), if the size is larger than the limit a red warning flashes.

There was a Yahoo widget program of a similar concept but the directories were hard coded, and size limits weren't changeable - it would be nice to be able to set specific locations and custom sizes.

Any one have any suggestions or solutions in mind?

ragnar01

lanux128:
is this what you want? CheckQuota

CheckQuota is the professional monitor program for directories. It monitors directory size and sends alerts if a limit was exceeded.
But CheckQuota has much more features. So it can works like a real disk quota program. Real disk quota this means, it can lock directories the write access for specified user if a maximum usage limit was reached.
--- End quote ---

Program to Monitor Size of Specific Directories?

wr975:
Here's a quick and dirty AHK script... It was more of a challenge for me to see if I can do it (and learn some functions). :)

No yellow/red desktop messages, but just messageboxes. Perhaps Skrommel or someone else will do something better. The idea sounds quite nice.

* Download and extract the attachment
* Download + install Autohotkey, then you can start the script
* Edit the ini file. Edit the example entries and add as many folders you want. Restart the script if you changed the ini.
* Edit the ahk file in Notepad to set the timer and change the text messages.

FWIW, here's the code for people who don't want to download the attachment:
Spoiler
;#NoTrayIcon
#SingleInstance force
#Persistent
SetFormat,float,0.0

; ################ Interval to check folders in miliseconds
; ################ (3600000 = 1 hour)

SetTimer,FolderLimit,3600000

FolderLimit:

TextWarning=
TextError=

Loop,9999
{

IniRead,Folder,FolderLimit.ini,settings,Folder%A_Index%
IniRead,SizeLimit,FolderLimit.ini,settings,SizeLimit%A_Index%
IniRead,WarningPercent,FolderLimit.ini,settings,WarningPercent%A_Index%

If folder = ERROR
   Break

FolderSize = 0

Loop, %folder%\*.*,1,1
   FolderSize += %A_LoopFileSize%

FolderSizeMB := (FolderSize/1024)/1024

Percent := FoldersizeMB / (SizeLimit / 100)

If Percent >= 100
   TextError=%TextError%%Folder% (%FoldersizeMB% MB of allowed %SizeLimit%)`n

If WarningPercent <= %Percent%
   If Percent < 100
      TextWarning=%TextWarning%%Folder% (%FoldersizeMB% MB of allowed %SizeLimit%)`n
}

; ################ Change message box warnings

If TextWarning <>
   msgbox,262208,Folder size warning!,Following folder(s) are nearing their set size limit.`nPlease consider a backup.`n`n%TextWarning%,240

If TextError <>
   msgbox,262160,Folder size limit reached!,Following folder(s) exceeded their set size limit.`nBACKUP NOW!`n`n%TextError%,240

Return

ragnar01:
I'll check out both the program and the AHK script. The script sounds more like what I had in mind.

I will post comments when available.

Thanks

ragnar01

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version