topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Allow display of program output even when Windows Desktop is locked  (Read 5650 times)

rd_online

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a PC that runs Windows7 Pro SP1, and has 2 DVI monitors attached to it, and one HDMI monitor.  I use the HDMI monitor to display video camera output, while the other two monitors serve as desktop for other windows programs I run (Outlook, Word, etc).  The HDMI monitor is a large, wall-mounted Samsung TV.

At our location, all of our PCs are governed by a group policy which causes a password-protected screen-saver to start after 15 minutes of inactivity.  When the screen saver starts, the monitors connected to the PC all go blank, and the PC is locked.   When CTRL+ALT+DELETE is pressed and a password is entered, the attached displays return to whatever they were showing prior to the screen saver starting.

I am looking for a solution which will continue to display (whatever is on) the HDMI monitor even when the screensaver is running.   Put another way, whenever the PC is locked I still want the video camera output displayed on the HDMI monitor.

Anyone know of a (free) program to do this?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, rd_online, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :Thmbsup:

I am looking for a solution which will continue to display (whatever is on) the HDMI monitor even when the screensaver is running.   Put another way, whenever the PC is locked I still want the video camera output displayed on the HDMI monitor.
Anyone know of a (free) program to do this?

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible.  Let's see if anybody else has any ideas.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The easiest way would be a custom screensaver designed to display the contents of another window (or specifically the video camera).  Or maybe a screensaver that selectively blanks only certain screens.. Are you allowed to set a custom screensaver of your own choosing?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you allowed to set a custom screensaver of your own choosing?

Based on the OP's original statement of...

At our location, all of our PCs are governed by a group policy which causes a password-protected screen-saver to start after 15 minutes of inactivity.

...I'd say, probably not.   :(

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Put another way, whenever the PC is locked I still want the video camera output displayed on the HDMI monitor.
That is not possible, by design, of Windows being locked...

It is kind of possible using specific screen managing software like DisplayFusion, but that doesn't lock windows, and seeing that the screensaver is managed by a windows group policy, it is fairly unlikely he's allowed to install that.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Use a splitter on the camera output, feed one to the computer as usual, the other to a spare input on the HDMI monitor, (through any required adapter/converter).
The monitor will auto-switch to the active input when the computer locks.

rd_online

• Participant
  • Joined in 2019
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The replies so far are correct: we are not allowed to install custom screen savers.   As far as using a splitter - the cameras are not physically connected to my workstation.  Rather, I use a vendor-supplied program to view the output of the cameras, and it is this program that I was hoping to (still) display on the large monitor when the desktop screensaver kicks in.

Maybe I'll investigate the custom screensaver idea or look into programs designed to manage multiple monitors and see if they have this ability...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If the output from the cameras is required to be monitored all the time, why aren't they on their own system?
Or, at least, why isn't the policy of the computer set to something suitable for its task.

Or something like a Intel Compute Stick, (or similar), running the vendor program on Windows 10 in kiosk mode plugged into a HDMI port - kiosk mode will allow it to run on top of the lock screen.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:34 PM by 4wd »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another workaround (which your IT department will hate): Get one of those "mouse jiggle" programs to keep the screensaver from turning on. :D

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LowToSleep and set it at 1% CPU activity.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
LowToSleep and set it at 1% CPU activity.

Decades from now we will still be re-discovering old skrommel utilities that we forgot existed..  :P