topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2019: TextWorx - Universal Text Manipulator  (Read 68395 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2019: TextWorx - Universal Text Manipulator
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Yes, I have been thinking of that, too, - hotkeys for the commands but I have to figure out how to do it first.  It would be pretty nifty.  However, my first goal will be to allow the user to change the global hotkey for the menu.  Problem with hotkeys for the commands is that they would *all* be global.  OR, maybe there could be some way to lock them to the active window so they are not global.  This will require some thought.

TextWorx is about the same for you as PSPad if you add the command to the top of the main menu.  Select Text - open menu, select command

But for you, Contro, do you use autohotkey?  If you like that RunText function, I can make you a little script that will let it work for you that way; it would be pretty easy.
Of course I use AHK. Any user in DC does  :P.
It's exactly what I am : a user !.
In the future I am developing some tasks to use my CRM beyond 2GB in dBASE format and i will need program for myself. So I am preparing a help file with ToDoList to remember and manage all this.

I Know all this is simple, but never easy. require precision and dedication. A comma is not a point. And a simple comma make the difference.
I supposed the best hotkeys are the configurable, and the very best are those you can enable or disable while using other programs.

The perfect interaction don't exists. The grown man must know the limits. So i can wait.  :P :-*

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 09:26 AM »
Wraith - yes, I think you are right.  The CamelCase, snake_case and kebab-case already have the inner word separations.  I can see how converting between those cases could be useful to a coder.  But we couldn't do anything for all lowercase letters, though.  Okay, I'll add it.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I didn't find the Base64 conversion yet, is that still in planning too?

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Ath - it's in the next release with it's own command.  I also added a dialogue to convert to and from any base.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 10:21 PM »
Version 1.1 is out now!
See my post here for details!

The best change is that now you can set a Global Hotkey for absolutely ANY TextWorx Command!
You can also customize the hotkeys for the TexWorx Menu and the TextWorx Toolbar!

When you assign hotkeys to TextWorx commands, though, be sure and think about how TextWorx uses shift and control as modifier keys for the commands - and TextWorx will honour those even if you use them for the hotkey - so there may some conflict.

You might want to use win alone for your hotkeys, and save ctrl and shift for it's command usage.

What I mean is this: Say you use 201 "encase" for a hotkey. If you use the shift key in your hotkey, it will only ever remove quotes because shift changes the command to reverse.

So, for commands that work on both lines and in reverse, you are best not to use control or shift in the hotkey.  Also, beware of using alt in your hotkeys, because alt often times invokes a windows own menu.  For commands that do not use the shift or control modifiers, you can freely use those modifiers in your command hotkeys.

Using hotkeys for commands is a little experimental right now, so it might not always work as expected yet.  Consider it a beta feature for now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:58 PM by BGM »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 11:44 PM »
Ah, okay, I updated it again to version 1.2.  Now you can assign multiple hotkeys to the same command.
The hotkeys involve the modifiers you use to alter the nature of the commands, so now you can create a hotkey that involves them.
See here for details.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2019, 09:26 AM »
The hotkeys involve the modifiers you use to alter the nature of the commands, so now you can create a hotkey that involves them.

:)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Ha, ah, I guess that didn't make much sense, did it.

The commands use ctrl and shift - if you set a hotkey to a command, you must add ctrl or shift to the hotkey to use the command's modifer.  Anyway, I explain it in my blog post.

Ath - I've added the base64 conversion.
Contro - now you can set a hotkey to RUN Text.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Well, I updated to 1.2 and tried the Base64 conversion, but when using the keyboard to select the option, either with or without shift, it gives an error "Error! Only alphanumeric Symbols will be accepted!", but that's a bit weird, as it should accept any string of text instead of numerical data (dec ?) to convert to Base64, and a valid sequence of base64 text to convert back to a string.
When selecting the option using the mouse I get an error:
"Missing Parameter!

Use: baseConvert("Value", "From", "To")

Example:
baseConvert("55", "dec", "hex")
"
(Stripped some unneeded text away)

I think you have the Base64 conversion not working in the expected way Base64w
And selecting options using the keyboard seems to behave a bit strange too

Example:
Original text: This is a test 1, 2, 3
Base64 encoded: VGhpcyBpcyBhIHRlc3QgMSwgMiwgMw==
(with padding)

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Ath,  maybe you are right.  I coded it to *change* base10 to base64 or reverse - basically, just converting number bases.
So, you want to base64 encode an entire string..  okay, I understand now.  In fact, I think I've done this before when I was trying to convert Dell serial numbers to their product codes (or something like that).

I'll fix this, but I'm going away for a week or so, and won't be able to spend time on it until I get back.  Sorry - I hope you don't mind waiting too much.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:18 AM by BGM »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 01:25 PM »
base10 to base64 or reverse
I've never seen a practical use of that, AFAIR :huh:

Base64 encoding of content is often used to transfer binary data in text-form, avoiding unexpected mangling by intermediate processing. And it was required for e-mail transport, as (older) Russian servers passing through the mail around their part of the i-net were only 7 bits, so if content contained 8 bit data it would come across mangled...

hope you don't mind waiting
That's no problem, I prefer my tools to work perfectly, so if all it takes is a little (more) time, that's fine with me :Thmbsup:

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2019, 02:16 AM »
Hi BGM
May have found a bug

When I hit Win.K and then on the menu that comes up I select editor  then hit save a stopwatch appears.
this also comes up with the normal saving of an item in editor
It also comes up as well if I hit save on the toolbar.
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Hmmm...  Need a little more info.  What Windows version? What are your computer specs?  What is the active window?  Does TextWorx have write-permissions to it's application folder? Maybe your anti-virus is interfering?
If it hangs when saving toolbar items, maybe it can't save it's settings.
I can't get it to not work here.  Make sure, maybe that you are using version 1.2?

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Hi BGM

Using 1.2 version

Attached is screenshot of computer specs.  and stopwatch that appears. Did a search for a stopwatch exe on the computer nothing came up

Computer specs.pngNANY 2019: TextWorx - Universal Text Manipulator Stopwatch image.pngNANY 2019: TextWorx - Universal Text Manipulator

Doesn't seem to hang.

Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 06:05 PM »
Version 1.1 is out now!
See my post here for details!

The best change is that now you can set a Global Hotkey for absolutely ANY TextWorx Command!
You can also customize the hotkeys for the TexWorx Menu and the TextWorx Toolbar!

When you assign hotkeys to TextWorx commands, though, be sure and think about how TextWorx uses shift and control as modifier keys for the commands - and TextWorx will honour those even if you use them for the hotkey - so there may some conflict.

You might want to use win alone for your hotkeys, and save ctrl and shift for it's command usage.

What I mean is this: Say you use 201 "encase" for a hotkey. If you use the shift key in your hotkey, it will only ever remove quotes because shift changes the command to reverse.

So, for commands that work on both lines and in reverse, you are best not to use control or shift in the hotkey.  Also, beware of using alt in your hotkeys, because alt often times invokes a windows own menu.  For commands that do not use the shift or control modifiers, you can freely use those modifiers in your command hotkeys.

Using hotkeys for commands is a little experimental right now, so it might not always work as expected yet.  Consider it a beta feature for now.

I have been for more than a week without the laptop for a small broken ventilation system.
And all I see are good news.
Best Regards.
I will try in a short time.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2019, 03:24 PM »
win+K to show the menu

Can you give me option to set my own invoking key? In Linux, if I used it through Wine, a win key invokes a menu so win+K doesn't do anything.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2019, 03:45 PM »
panzer, I don't know anything about wine (except drinking it!) but if win+k gives you problems, you can change it to some other key.  Look in the help file for directions on changing the key.  Maybe win+k is a system hotkey that won't allow itself to be rewritten?  I can't think of another reason unless it is some setting for Wine.  Make sure you have the latest version of the program, too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:51 PM by BGM »

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Hi BGM
Using 1.2 version
Attached is screenshot of computer specs.  and stopwatch that appears. Did a search for a stopwatch exe on the computer nothing came up
Doesn't seem to hang.

I'm sorry, nogojoe, but I can't figure out what you are trying to explain.  You say you did a "search for stopwatch exe" on the computer...  this thread is for TextWorx, not for Shorthand.  Shorthand is the program for searching files (using the Everything program underneath) maybe you've posted in the wrong thread.  TextWorx does not have any file-searching function.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Hi BGM
Using 1.2 version
Doesn't seem to hang.

I'm sorry, nogojoe, but I can't figure out what you are trying to explain.  You say you did a "search for stopwatch exe" on the computer...  this thread is for TextWorx, not for Shorthand.  Shorthand is the program for searching files (using the Everything program underneath) maybe you've posted in the wrong thread.  TextWorx does not have any file-searching function.
Sorry what I really meant that I did a search on my computer to see if the was a stopwatch exe that your program TextWorx may be invoking the stopwatch as shown on the image I posted.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33 PM »
My program does not invoke any stopwatch application.  Textworx has a command to invoke charmap and notepad, but not stopwatch.

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2019, 02:05 PM »
My program does not invoke any stopwatch application.  Textworx has a command to invoke charmap and notepad, but not stopwatch.
Well some how it is doing it when I use the save options in TextWorx .
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:27 PM by nogojoe »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Hi there.

You may try to identify that process when it's running using, from the command line:
tasklist /fi "windowtitle eq Stopwatch"

It should give you the actual process name, which you'd then be able to find in the task manager, from where you should have the opportunity to open the file's location (using the right click menu on the process).

Whether or not it matches the "notepad.exe" or "charmap.exe" name, we'll still have some sort of clue. ( → If it doesn't, then maybe there is a registry entry somewhere that points to it, similar to how typing "pbrush" executes MSPaint on Windows 7, even though the actual executable's name is mspaint.exe and there is no such file as pbrush.exe on a default Windows 7 install… it's just there as some kind of compatibility setting.)

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Hi there.

You may try to identify that process when it's running using, from the command line:
tasklist /fi "windowtitle eq Stopwatch"

It should give you the actual process name, which you'd then be able to find in the task manager, from where you should have the opportunity to open the file's location (using the right click menu on the process).

Whether or not it matches the "notepad.exe" or "charmap.exe" name, we'll still have some sort of clue. ( → If it doesn't, then maybe there is a registry entry somewhere that points to it, similar to how typing "pbrush" executes MSPaint on Windows 7, even though the actual executable's name is mspaint.exe and there is no such file as pbrush.exe on a default Windows 7 install… it's just there as some kind of compatibility setting.)
Thanks I will give it a try later on . I’m interested as to what’s causing the stopwatch to appear because it doesn’t appear in / from any other program when I use the save or save as options. 

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2019, 02:37 AM »
Hi ConstanceJill.
Thanks for your help  in the end I didnt need to try what you suggested although I think it would have solved the problem as well.
After dwelling on it for half a day I came to the conclusion that there must be another program Im running that has a stopwatch function embedded in it.
I am running White Tigers program T-Clock -Redux  .A quick look in the context menu is a Stopwatch function .
I disabled the T-Clock Redux and the problem went away.
Further tracking the stopwatch function in T-Clock found that a hotkey had been set at Ctrl+S and when this was disabled and or set to another hotkey the problem remained solved.
So Ctrl+S hotkey was the culprit.
Maybe BGM can see why it is clashing in TextWorx
Thaks again ConstanceJill for your inspiration
nogojoe

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48 AM »
nogojoe,  TextWorx doesn't use the hotkey ctrl+s unless you set in manually in TextWorx's config.  Some programs cannot use a global hotkey if another program is already using it.  But other programs (TextWorx, included, I believe) will take over (hijack) that global hotkey if it is executed *after* a previous program is executed.  So, if you want TextWorx to take over ctrl+S (which I don't recommend, since many programs use it to save their work) then you'd have to set that hotkey in Textworx's config file (directions in the help file), then restart TextWorx.

However, in Windows, you can also assign a global hotkey to an application creating a shortcut to the program, and then in the shortcut's properties, by setting a "shortcut key".  I once had an issue with a program where the developer created this shortcut in startup with a shortcut key set.  It took me ages to find it.

In the end, I don't see how your issue with ctrl+s is related to TextWorx.