ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Possible Malware Debug - HW laptop back-light detector

<< < (3/10) > >>

4wd:
Going back to the OP:

The problem is that my computer will, at seemingly random points in time during the night, reactivate my screen, after it has powered down.-Asudem (December 24, 2018, 09:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

If this is correct then it's a hardware issue - reactivating the screen is not the same as powering up and booting into an OS.
What do you mean by "reactivate" the screen?
Turn the backlight on or something more?
How old is this laptop?

Unplug the charger if it's plugged in - this will remove any transient mains power event from affecting the laptop circuits.
Close the lid - besides sending a signal to Windows this sometimes disconnects the backlight via hardware, (depends on the design).

To clarify, what do you mean by powered down?

Asudem:
Perhaps with a tool like this you are able to find out what instance of software is making your monitor light up.
-Shades (December 29, 2018, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
I will investigate this software to see if it can't help trace the problem down, thanks!
Going back to the OP:
To clarify, what do you mean by powered down?
-4wd (December 29, 2018, 09:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good question, I should have been more specific: In Power Management, you are given a power option for when you would like your screen turned off at what I assume is the hardware level:
IDEA: Possible Malware Debug - HW laptop back-light detector

Once my afk has been detected for 5 minutes, I expect my screen to soft-power-down, meaning the lcd pixels and backlighting are turned off on my laptop monitor. I also do not expect the screen to resume until such input behavior is received from only my mouse or keyboard. My linux distros follow these rules similarly without power restoring to my monitor unexpectedly.

4wd:
Good question, I should have been more specific: In Power Management, you are given a power option for when you would like your screen turned off at what I assume is the hardware level:
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Once my afk has been detected for 5 minutes, I expect my screen to soft-power-down, meaning the lcd pixels and backlighting are turned off on my laptop monitor. I also do not expect the screen to resume until such input behavior is received from only my mouse or keyboard. My linux distros follow these rules similarly without power restoring to my monitor unexpectedly.-Asudem (December 30, 2018, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Much better - so just the normal Windows Display off function and not "powered down".

BTW, "reactivate" the screen = turn the backlight on (with no signal, eg. no Desktop) or completely wake the screen, ie. normal backlight/Desktop ?

Asking because my computer has two monitors connected, when Windows turns the display off one monitor will go into standby, the other monitor display will go black but the backlight is still on.

Are you running the latest chipset/graphics drivers?
Besides a mouse, what other peripherals do you have connected and have you tried disconnecting them all (if you have any)?

Something else to try, turn the display off manually using NirCmd (nircmd.exe monitor off) and see if it wakes up.

Asudem:
BTW, "reactivate" the screen = turn the backlight on (with no signal, eg. no Desktop) or completely wake the screen, ie. normal backlight/Desktop ?
Something else to try, turn the display off manually using NirCmd (nircmd.exe monitor off) and see if it wakes up.
-4wd (December 30, 2018, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Reactivate = normal backlight/desktop

Latest graphics and chipset drivers.

After nircmd was used to power down the monitor, it was powered up unexpectedly again.

All I have left is my external audio card (wireless headset), my keyboard, 2 external drives, and an external BD drive. I could unplug those too but I doubt those units could also be powering the monitor off as well as back on.

Shades:
Keyboard can. And if the external drives came with driver and/or back-up software, those could trigger Windows to become active again.

Wireless headset uses BlueTooth? That sure can re-activate the audio system from Windows again when battery level from the wireless headset goes below a certain level. Same can be true with a wireless keyboard that uses Bluetooth.

The external BD device is the least suspect. The process of elimination to find the suspect device really requires you to disconnect everything from your laptop. Not just the devices that you think is logical.

Because this problem is playing long enough to make a thread for it on this forum, I think it is safe to assume that we are (long) past the stage of applying the logic that already has been applied and didn't solve your problem.

So, disconnect everything external, cut power to any of them, keeping all of them out of Bluetooth range, etc. If your laptop still activates at random, you can be sure that it something in your Windows installation or the hardware of your laptop and not something external. Right now it is unclear (to me) what is connected and what not. So better start from the most essential setup to get a good bearing of where to look for your problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version