ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Possible Malware Debug - HW laptop back-light detector

<< < (2/10) > >>

Asudem:
In short, a simple process of elimination is likely to produce a much quicker cause for the problem that you experience. Only when your computer is still acting up when you have disconnected all peripherals. It can even be something like your USB mouse/keyboard is supplying too much information than Windows is set to handle. Any operation system can start acting weird with something like that.
-Shades (December 24, 2018, 10:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, yes. This starts after the monitor has entered it's power-down state while my laptop remains powered on. I can try turning off the wireless mouse at night. I haven't thought of that one.

Or the simple solution, turn the monitor off.
-4wd (December 25, 2018, 05:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, you'd think that. This is a laptop setup, in which the PSU and monitor are all wedged into one chassis (so to speak), and even using a softswitch (the FN keys) to turn off the monitor, it does power itself back on at random times when I am trying to sleep.

Is the machine set to shut down or hybrid hibernate which is the default on W10. If the latter it's not something like  a Wake on LAN or Wake on USB?
-magician62 (December 25, 2018, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm really hoping it's not a wake up on either of those! Nothing should ping awake my hardware when I'm not at it! lol

It might also be some service like the update service, causing your pc to power on at certain times to check for updates.
-mouser (December 25, 2018, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've also considered this, but the event logs from checking for updates (at least Window logs) do not match the times of the random powerons.

For the easiest pebuak solution, I will try turning off my wireless mouse.

4wd:
It does it even when the lid is closed?

Asudem:
It does it even when the lid is closed?
-4wd (December 25, 2018, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
My laptop has a hard switch for detecting if it is closed or open, but it is currently set at the Windows software level to hibernate if that happens (apparently, I never close my lid). I have not powered off my mouse yet and I do believe it did light up on its own again, but I have to wonder if it really is the mouse. Although they are different OSes, the OpenSUSE partition, if left on all night, it doesn't seemingly power my screen on if it turns off.

This may just be a mystery left unsolved, but I would still like to theorize at what level could something like this be detected? For example, what is it that Windows constantly looks at to know that it should or should not have the screen in a powered state and what programs can have access to this outside of the API level, such as being used through a .NET call programmed specifically for that rather than the near assembly level instruction that actually takes care of the power on/offs. Surely Function Key suites for laptop need access to this level of hardware for the soft switches of turning off/on the screen. I'm very curious.

Asudem:
Bumping with new info: With mouse disabled, the backlight is turning on and back off at times not designated by Windows.

Shades:
Perhaps with a tool like this you are able to find out what instance of software is making your monitor light up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version