topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Removing near-duplicate rows in Filemon / Process Monitor to more easily analyze  (Read 3097 times)

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tried to post this to SuperUser, and even offered a bounty, but didn't get much luck.

I am looking for a Filemon/Procmon type program which has better filtering and more importantly, allows you omit near-duplicate lines from being logged. There can be hundreds or thousands of these rows, and they really complicate trying to find other transactions.

For example, take a look at this image. I don't want to see Irfanview updating its .ini file 1 zillion times, specifying every single time it locks, queries, reads, writes, unlocks, or whatever else it apparently wants to do.

Process Monitor is apparently not up to the job, but maybe there's similar software which can perform this fundamental task?

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Tried to post this to SuperUser, and even offered a bounty, but didn't get much luck.

I am looking for a Filemon/Procmon type program which has better filtering and more importantly, allows you omit near-duplicate lines from being logged. There can be hundreds or thousands of these rows, and they really complicate trying to find other transactions.

For example, take a look at this image. I don't want to see Irfanview updating its .ini file 1 zillion times, specifying every single time it locks, queries, reads, writes, unlocks, or whatever else it apparently wants to do.

Process Monitor is apparently not up to the job, but maybe there's similar software which can perform this fundamental task?

Have you tried the filters from the filter menu to filter what you do not want shown?

Twinbee

• Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yep. The problem is there are so many potential files. I don't want them to all be filtered. Instead I just want a single entry (at least in the time span of say, a second's worth) for that particular file, or rather file pair, since it's a file acting upon another file.

Here's another example of duplication.