topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLID: A New Paradigm for the Web by Sir Tim Berners-Lee  (Read 1815 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLID: A New Paradigm for the Web by Sir Tim Berners-Lee
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:08 PM »
With the impending G+ doom, I've been looking at a lot of options: The FediVerse (Diaspora, HubZilla, etc), the Mastodon Federation, MeWe, OpenSocial, and more.

But I just came across the concept for SOLID. (Github)

From the page, the blurb is "Solid was created by the inventor of the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee. Its mission is to reshape the web as we know it. Solid will foster a new breed of applications with capabilities above and beyond anything that exists today."

It's based on data ownership and making your data yours.  The applications that you choose to give access to it do not store that data, they merely use it to deliver their functionality to you.  This location where you store your data is termed a POD, which can be hosted on a provider, or locally, or in any location of your choosing.  It seems a lot like Keybase in that manner, though a lot less techy.

Has anyone looked into this or heard about it?  I'm just exploring it a bit now, as there is an importer for all of the G+ information exported from Takeout.