topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Directory Opus 12 - 40% discount  (Read 13558 times)

gusts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Directory Opus 12 - 40% discount
« on: December 16, 2018, 10:39 PM »
It's the GP Software 2018 Holiday Sale! - https://www.gpsoft.com.au/

To celebrate the end of another fine year of Directory Opus development, GP Software is pleased to announce the 2018 Holiday sale is now on!

Until January 3rd, everything Directory Opus-related is 40% off! That means:

Directory Opus Light is 40% off
Directory Opus Pro is 40% off
Upgrades from Opus 11 or earlier to Opus 12 are 40% off
Extra licences are 40% off
Optional features like Advanced FTP and USB export are 40% off
It's all 40% off! :)

To take advantage of this sale, use the coupon code HOLIDAYS2018 before January 3rd, 2019.

To upgrade or buy new copies of Opus 12, visit the Directory Opus online purchase page.
To add licences and optional features to your existing licence, login to the My Account page.
Discount applies to personal licences (maximum 5 installs) only. Only available from the GP Software website.
We hope you've had a great 2018. Enjoy the holiday season and we wish you a fantastic year in 2019!

All the best,
Greg & Jon
GP Software, Brisbane, Australia

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Directory Opus 12 - 40% discount
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 05:08 AM »
Ha, ha, ha, just do your maths.

DO 12 is fighting its last battle here, early Summer of 2019 should see DO 13. So the only relevant "question" - well, not really, I think I know the answer - here is, is the major upgrade 12>13 included or not, i.e. will it cost the usual price instead.

Christmas 2017, they did NOT have any such offer, and of course not, since there was no to-be-paid-then upgrade in sight, but now it is.

Years ago, they were on bits, within the same scheme, just months before the end of the line of the current version, but early enough for the then pending upgrade to be regularly-priced.

And since there's not a thing about this situation in the ad above, I suppose they try to treat us here as dumb as many bits customers are.

Minus 40 p.c. and then just months later minus 40 p.c. again is, well, above 100 % in total.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Unless you are happy with the version of DOpus you bought at 40% discount?

By the time you have an idea on how to use the (new) functionality built into DOpus to your workflow, you can buy the next version at discounted prices. You don't have to the latest and greatest at the time it arrives. And even if you do, in my experience DOpus is worth the full asking price. So you either shop sensibly or pay "the penalties" for running at the front-lines. Calling that dumb is incorrect in my point of view.

If I cared enough to make a Christmas wish, I would spent mine on wishing GPSoft to take the codebase from an older version of DOpus (like version 9 or so) and start making a version with that codebase for Linux. Any distro GPSoft would choose to work with would be my distro of choice. Even if it would be one they are building from the ground up.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:44 AM »
The one thing that prevented me from ever legally buying DOpus is the absurd price. Honestly, its usability advantages when compared to other file managers are not that large.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:24 AM »
The one thing that prevented me from ever legally buying DOpus is the absurd price. Honestly, its usability advantages when compared to other file managers are not that large.

I've tried quite a few of them.  The incremental updates per year are not that much... but yeah, it's better to me than any others and thus worth the price at least for a periodic buy.

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I'm not against DO (anymore so much), my argument here has exclusively been that from my observation (which has been repeated but not systematic), it seems they (almost?) exclusively have been offering sales when the life time of the current major version is coming to its end, but when the term in which you are entitled to get the next major version for free has not yet begun.

I've come back here in order to see if my remark has motivated DO to tell me wrong in this instance, but obviously that is not the case, and I don't like at all their smart-ass attitude which becomes evident here again: they really suppose prospects, even here, can NOT do their maths.

Btw, whenever I get to the limits of x2 (for pics, I use FastStone Image Viewer, but in case, XY would be excellent for pics, too, whilst x2 is very bad for pics indeed, but I'm not speaking of pics, speaking of x2's limits here anyway), I then go to DO's online manual and check if possibly DO can do what I want (possibly with a little scripting), and so far, every time, DO doesn't do it either, so up to now, I never saw a reason for me to buy.

And to give an example, DO's metadata management is lesser than x2's. Also, when you contact DO on such things in their forum, you just get a shrug instead of a "thank you for this idea we'll implement asap".

Thus, for the time being, DO takes advantage of its better looks and ergonomics, compared to x2, and its better technology and ergonomics compared to XY (which is very bad on both counts, but quite pleasant on first sight), and it also seems preferable for users who like to view / "preview" lots of their files within their file manager, pdf's (or pics) for example, which I don't ever do (or long for), and that also invalidates some common advantages of XY (and DO) over x2 for me.

Thus, I'm constantly tempted by DO because, I, too, am sensitive to flock consensus, but whenever I try to find a reason to buy (and then to use), I don't find any, and, as implied above, that's largely due to the elusiveness of the new developer, which is on par with the one shown by the 2 creators of DO which seem to not work on the code anymore, their ancient forum guy (Leo) now seemingly doing all the work alone.

I stay receptive, but creativity and openness are part of the game, not just coding, especially if you if over a lifetime (of the user), your price is tenfold or more the one of your competition, so I suppose they will not get too many new customers, XY and X2's "lifetime" licenses certainly biting deep into DO's numbers, and then their additional-payments (which aren't wort it in the end, I firmly suppose) policy will certainly back off quite some prospects.

(I can't speak of the respective strengths and weaknesses / misses of the contenders in web storage accessibility / management ; for users who use web storage (which I do not), this should be a core aspect indeed. I just know that the "prof" version of SpeedCommander (which does not have an English forum) comes with a very impressive list of such web storages it can handle; otherwise it's quite inferior.)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 03:40 PM »
I stopped keeping more than two third-party file managers on my systems. Currently, I have x² and Total Commander at work, One Commander* and Total Commander at home. (I finally got away from SpeedCommander, right in time before the next paid update...) I use a file manager to manage files. Do one thing and do it well. A thing that can manage files just as well as what I already have does not have any additional value to me anymore. It must be very convincing.

* Yes, I am weird.

LM7

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 05:40 AM »
I think that the main advantage of DO over other file managers is the ease with which it enables one to label files with different colors and statuses, and to sort and organize the files accordingly. So users for whom such functionality is really important might do well to take advantage of the current offer (otherwise, hard to think of anything earthshaking that the DO people can put in version 13 that isn't already present in 12).

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 10:18 AM »
it enables one to label files with different colors and statuses, and to sort and organize the files accordingly.

Even xplorer² does that. :)

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 08:07 AM »
1)

To echo Tuxman: "Even FreeCommander (as implied, more or less free) does that." (admittedly to a lesser degree; and of course, most paid file managers do it, too.)

"I think that the main advantage of DO over other file managers is the ease with which it enables one to label files with different colors and statuses, and to sort and organize the files accordingly."

Let's put this straight. Many people who love their current software but don't know too much about competing software, make similar errors, in part by their lack of knowledge, but in part, oh yeah, in a try to endorse their investment.

For example, I, some time ago, had made the mistake to buy the then most expensive duplicate tool, then only discovered  - the trial is a crippled one - how bad it was, after all; the almost-universal prejudice / false preconception that "you get what you pay for" worked in BOTH ways : I should have known better, even then, from life-long experience. (I relate on that duplicate tool error of mine in the Trial thread, and I lately even discovered that now that most expensive tool has become free (!), and at that "price", it isn't that bad at all, finally...)

Now, to DO, both phenomenons apply:

- with the (non-competitive) price come some quite positive expectations: it should be superior (which it is not, but it's not inferior either to its best competitors)

- since you (the paying user) payed the price, you then would not really like to discover that you could get that same functionality (which is important to you) for much less, so you don't really want to get fully informed on that comparative situation; that's human, that's not lying, that's simply denying; and, of course, that doesn't apply to any such statement along those lines; some people just don't know better and speak too early: that's human, too, I speak here from my personal experience. (And yes, of course, "Everything" is the best tool there is on the market, for any Windows user of all ages, and by far.)

Fact is, a tool like DO profits from this lack of knowledge of some of its users and who then "spread the word", DO allegedly being superior.

As said by me above, I cannot speak for the strengths of the preview pane, never using that in any of my file managers, BUT since there is an allegation that DO was very strong in this field, I speculate (!) that for modern file formats, XY is on par with DO, most of DO's additional file formats being defunct for ages now, e.g. some text processors from the Nineties, and so on; also, for most of the available formats in DO, you need to buy some third-party add-in, at 30 bucks plus VAT if I remember well. Also, exotic but current file formats are more or less absent from that additional list, too, whilst, again, you get lots of defunct file formats, and, let's be honest here: That's not because of the real interest in these formats, but because they (the third-party entity) simply have more or less stopped development in that area 2 decennials ago.

2)

Since we mentioned SpeedCommander above: The "speciality" of SC is that is has NO English-speaking forum BUT a German-speaking forum, and - I missed mentioning this important fact above - even the help is in German, but NOT in English, too, so they specialize in German customers with no or unsufficient knowledge of English, but non-DACH (D, Austria, Switzerland) customers should be very rare. This particularity explains both the exaggerated pricing of this tool, and the fact that on most counts, it's inferior to some of its competitors; for example, its meta data management is abysmally bad. On the other hand, it has always been, and by far, the prettiest file manager there is, and copying their (minimalistic but utterly pleasant) screen design should not be too complicated... but would go against their competitors' respective egos.

Btw, many Italians, Russians, Chinese, French, Spanish (-speaking people) are awaiting your special file manager development, including full service in their respective mother language...

And again btw, DO's management of tagging and/or "virtual folders" / whatever-you-call-it is NOT superior to its best (paid) competitors either; it just seems to be at first look.

3)

Whenever I speak of pricing / prices here, I always take into account the fact that FC is more or less free, and that both X2 and XY are both available with a so-called "lifetime" license, where the price includes any updates, and that this even applies to their regularly getting back to bitsdujour, and thus, when I say that over a user's lifetime, DO might be at a price tenfold its competitors, that's estimated on this basis.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 02:25 PM »
DO 12 is fighting its last battle here, early Summer of 2019 should see DO 13.
Just noticed this prediction.
As of May 2021 DO is on 12.24

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 02:26 PM »
Pretty sure that the weirdos will skip "13" anyway because of, uh, reasons.