topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: An oddity  (Read 4476 times)

towlerg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An oddity
« on: December 15, 2018, 07:02 AM »
I've recently started using "Mouse without boarders" as a 2 PC KVM (2 PC's, 2 monitors but only 1 mouse and keyboard) but obviously without the V in KVM.

It real is no big deal but when I move the mouse from one PC/Monitor to the other, LC is launched on the PC/Monitor losing focus. Hard to verify I know if you don't have 2 PC's and 2 monitors.

I guess it's something to do with the way MWB hooks the keyboard. Win 7 sp1 x64

George

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: An oddity
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:21 AM »
It real is no big deal but when I move the mouse from one PC/Monitor to the other, LC is launched on the PC/Monitor losing focus.

Are you saying that just moving the mouse between monitors causes LaunchBar Commander to display, or are you saying that when you bring up LBC it's on the wrong monitor?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 06:32 AM »
@towlerg: The oddity that you describe may have something to do with other existing/reserved hotkey or Windows hotkey combinations.
For example, I have an AHK (Auotohotkey) subroutine (script) that triggers a "peek under" functionality. The hotkey combination for this is an ON/OFF toggle - CTRL+LEFTSHIFT+Alt+U -  which is quite complicated, so it's unlikely to be accidentally pressed to invoke that subroutine. Each time the toggle is used, it triggers or untriggers the peek under function, which the function announces each time as a state change, with the message "Peek under has just been enabled" or "Peek under has just been disabled".

So I was somewhat confused when peek under started being invoked without my say-so. I eventually figured out that it was the Win+Left-Click combo that was doing it (this is consistently repeatable). So AHK was/is treating CTRL+LEFTSHIFT+Alt+U as being equal to Win+Left-Click. I feel sure there'll be an explanation somewhere for this equivalence, but I don't know what it is.

How does this relate to LBC? Well, another interesting thing is that, at the same time as peek under is being toggled, the LBC drop-down menu will sometimes also be toggled ON/OFF.
I normally toggle LBC with the hotkey combo CTRL+LEFTSHIFT+Alt+L - which is just one key different to the peek under hotkey. My experience is that LBC has always been a pain as it inconsistently responds to the hotkeys set to invoke it, but I suspect it could be some kind of a priority interrupt or key buffer collision that is going on here, as there are some other odd things that I have separately raised regarding LBC (which I don't think @mouser has had time to get around to sorting out yet):
Couple of queries and an odd thing - using LBC v1.154.2.0 (2018-11-21)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Hmm, please do remind me what LBC issues there are..

Normally you can set a custom hotkey to show or hide a dock..  The Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L is a global hotkey for LBC to bring up its options -- sometimes useful if LBC is somehow off screen due to a monitor change.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Hmm, please do remind me what LBC issues there are..
I just did!    :D   -IainB (2018-12-01, 03:07:13)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 08:48 AM »
@mouser:
...Normally you can set a custom hotkey to show or hide a dock..  The Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L is a global hotkey for LBC to bring up its options -- sometimes useful if LBC is somehow off screen due to a monitor change.
Thanks. I think I had probably previously removed Ctrl+Shift+Alt+L as the hotkey for Global Tree Configuration (optional) - leaving that blank - so I put it back in there and it seems to work, but the Options panel doesn't seem to come to front at all, most of the time - you have to go look for it. It often sometimes appears in the Start menu list of windows open, but it is invisible or diminished (can't tell which) - even when it is invoked after Windows+D (diminish all open windows) has been pressed, and you seem to have to click on the LBC in the start menu to show/open the LBC Options window.

I changed the hotkey for dropping down the LBC menu (docked invisibly to top RHS pf screen) to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Down-arrow and that sometimes works, but most times not. Odd behaviour.

towlerg

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 10:45 AM »
I tthink I know whats happening, when MWB moves the focus to the next PC/Monotor it leaves a mouse pointer centered at the very top of the screen, thus quite reasonably launching LBC.

There is an option in MWB to disable that action and when set, LBC is back to it's full glory.