topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Looking For] Free (or very cheap) Video Editing Software  (Read 3967 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Looking For] Free (or very cheap) Video Editing Software
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a Video Editing suite.  It needs to have at least the following features (or the majority of), and be free if possible.

• Multi-track Facilities for cutting/splicing video tracks and audio tracks
• Built-in transitions
• Decent overlay features (for adding text over video)
• Green-screen editing (Not required but would be nice)
• No stupid watermarks that show up after rendering

Thanks

~Stephen
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 11:29 AM by Stephen66515 »

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Looking For] Free (or very cheap) Video Editing Software
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 11:38 AM »
There are quite a few free ones, a nice overview video here https://www.youtube..../watch?v=YiesMpzFYf8 with pros/cons (DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm, Avid Media Composer First, Lightworks, Kdenlive, OpenShot and Shotcut - all free, non-watermarked - windows/mac/linux)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:41 AM »
There are quite a few free ones, a nice overview video here https://www.youtube..../watch?v=YiesMpzFYf8 with pros/cons (DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm, Avid Media Composer First, Lightworks, Kdenlive, OpenShot and Shotcut - all free, non-watermarked - windows/mac/linux)

Lightworks doesn't seem to be free anymore (from what I can see) - When I went to the website it only had an option to buy it, or download a trial.

I'm actually downloading HitFilm right now, but from what I gather it's very resource intensive so may not like my measly 4GB RAM lol.  I'll take a look at the video for the rest of them though, thanks!

~Stephen

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Perhaps the trial reverts to "free" - don't know of course. You may try to find it on an "old download site" (not illegal or something like that but there are websites that keep archive(s) of installers of all versions of popular software. (Won't be able to recommend any in particular but Google will know no doubt)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Lightworks has a free edition:

http://www.lwks.com/compareversions

The installer is the same - features are enabled by the license installed. You need to register an account for the free version.

From the Installation and Activation Guide:

If you do not have a valid license for Lightworks, a renewable seven day license is issued to your system the first time you start Lightworks. You must have an active connection to the internet when you do this, otherwise the license will not be issued and you will be unable to use Lightworks until you do connect online.

When you start Lightworks, you will see a display in the Project Browser which counts down your free seven day trial period. Before the seven day period expires, you must register an account before you can continue using the free version of Lightworks.

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I used VSDC http://www.videosoftdev.com a project and it did what I wanted.  If you pay a subscription  you can get hardware acceleration; I didn't need it.

Chris