topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2018  (Read 38199 times)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2018
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I find it amazing that the concept of providing discounts on products automatically makes people want to have them.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I think people already naturally want "stuff."  Acquiring stuff for a discounted price feels like a little win though.  That's what attracts people. 

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 09:07 AM »
True, people do go for the sensation of getting a thing at discount prices. It is also subject to diminishing returns.

If, for example: I drop by your house and brink your favorite cake for you to eat. You will be happy. If I then return with another unit of the same cake, you won't be as happy as the first time, but you'll still like it. If I return again with another unit of the same cake, you'll be angry and tell me to get lost with that ff''ing cake.

This also happens when you buy lots of different things. Less fast than buying the same item, but it still happens. People think they can get the same feeling from the first time back by spending on bigger items. But that barely works. Add to all of this an artificial time-limit and people keep falling into the same trap. In the mean time a lot of retail business has taken place and made a profit.

Which is why I don't go for that kind of crap at all anymore. I'll look for the best item I can buy, at a time that I deem best without a time-limit. Brings me peace of mind and I usually end up with (much) higher quality products that last longer and not having so much stuff gives me peace of mind. Which I treasure most of all.

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Would it be considered politically acceptable if I mentioned rugs? -

Re AdGuard: Since it's by subscription, can anybody confirm that it allows for viewing/browsing main "newspaper" and other propaganda sites which systematically leave you out if you use the usual adblocker (e.g. Adblock, Adblock Plus), and if so, which ones (and understood of course that you do NOT make an "exception")?

If there is some link to something potentially important, I open it then in Edge instead of FF, but I don't browse such sites anymore.

If the above is not the case, why is AdGuard so well regarded her in this forum? Since Adblock Plus works fine, too, for the sites remaining for me. Is it just because of "for once, the developer gets paid!"? Well, Adblock Plus's one gets paid, too - some call that extortion, but he wins the actions against him, up to now.

So I would really be interested in some pertinent information, and ideally along the lines, "is not blocked by adblocker-blocking sites, for most of them."

EDIT after further reading above: Would it be politically acceptable if I mentioned carnal knowledge in marriage?

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 09:47 AM »
"Which is why I don't go for that kind of crap at all anymore."

Please see here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=43835 (post of today)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:53 AM by ital2 »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 01:25 PM »
I don't run out and buy whatever I want whenever I want. If I see something I like I'll usually simply wait for a better price to come up on that item. I picked up a few things during the Black Friday sales. All of these were items that I'd singled out over the past year or so. I got them for a few hundred less than it would have cost had they been bought, individually, at the prevailing prices.

For me, Black Friday is just a way to save some money... and reward my own patience.
 :)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 01:34 PM »
True, people do go for the sensation of getting a thing at discount prices. It is also subject to diminishing returns.

If, for example: I drop by your house and brink your favorite cake for you to eat. You will be happy. If I then return with another unit of the same cake, you won't be as happy as the first time, but you'll still like it. If I return again with another unit of the same cake, you'll be angry and tell me to get lost with that ff''ing cake.

This also happens when you buy lots of different things. Less fast than buying the same item, but it still happens. People think they can get the same feeling from the first time back by spending on bigger items. But that barely works. Add to all of this an artificial time-limit and people keep falling into the same trap. In the mean time a lot of retail business has taken place and made a profit.

Which is why I don't go for that kind of crap at all anymore. I'll look for the best item I can buy, at a time that I deem best without a time-limit. Brings me peace of mind and I usually end up with (much) higher quality products that last longer and not having so much stuff gives me peace of mind. Which I treasure most of all.

I would never be angry at somebody bringing me cake.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 05:36 PM »
At Arrow.com:

Raspberry Pi 3B   - $27.49 inc. shipping
Raspberry Pi 3B+ - $34.49 inc. shipping

Both currently cheaper than the RasPi 2B from the same retailer.

Currently transitioning most of the functions performed by a 24/7 Windows 10 MiniITX computer to RasPi based, so far:
RasPi 1B - BitTorrent, Usenet, Aria2 downloaders over always on VPN.
RasPi 2B - Kerberos.io, WebDl, get_iplayer (over VPN).
RasPi 3B+ - Still thinking about it, possibly Docker with multiple containers for Kerberos.io and a streaming video recorder.
RasPi 3B - On order from Arrow  ;D

All based on DietPi.

I'd buy a freezer during the Black Friday sales and freeze all the extra cake you bring around, stockpiling for the zombie apocalypse.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:43 PM by 4wd »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Another couple of regulars:

IDM (makers of UltraEdit) 25% off, cyber monday

CintaNotes - 50% off lifetime with CMON2018LIFETIME, 25% off regular and renewals with CMON2018

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Missed this one:

The Pragmatic Bookshelf 40% off

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Beyond Compare - 25% off, monday only

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Verbatim from Windscribe:

Next best thing since FREE

We hope you haven't spent all your hard earned cash on various "deals" this past week. If you have, close this email, we got nothing to talk about. For all the rest of you savvy shoppers, read on.

What we're gonna hawk to you next isn't a "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" deal (who comes up with these names anyway?), this is a new permanent offer that is available to everyone going forward, but that doesn't make it less exciting.

Windscribe is happy to announce the launch of "Build a Plan", which allows you to pick the locations you want access to, and pay as little as $1/month. Here is a simple chart that will help you understand this groundbreaking concept:

1 Pro Location - $1/month
    2 Pro Locations - $2/month
    3 Pro Locations - $3/month

REVOLUTIONARY! But wait, there is more! Each location you purchase will add an extra 10GB of data to your monthly allowance. If you want unlimited data, that will cost you another cool dollar.

Are you ready to make it rain like you're in a Vegas Strip Club? Just click the link below.

Build a Plan

Random Fact
"'Typewriter' is the longest word that can be made using the keys on only one row of the keyboard."

- Windscribe Team

So, in theory, if all you are interested in is Netflix US/UK then for a $1/month you can just have access to either the Windflix US or UK exit node plus 20GB, (10GB for signup + 10GB extra), or possibly 70GB if you've previously taken advantage of their extra 50GB freebie in the past.

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2018, 11:15 AM »
""'Typewriter' is the longest word that can be made using the keys on only one row of the keyboard.""

That would probably be correct for the English language only; I'm sure Germans can do better there; anyway, considering that keyboards had been devised to slow down typing. the real problems that will never be attacked anymore lay elsewhere. (I suppose that dictating will become ubiquitous before more broader adoption of "fast-typing" keyboards, the ones with a rehauled character distribution.)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2018, 06:35 PM »
I think  the problem is not in the keyboard, but in what is in front of it. I read some things about the Dvorak and other "reformed" keyboard layouts and their opinion was that all keyboards are fast if you are practiced with them.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Purchased Windscribe at 59$ forgot to use the code for additional offer. I noticed that Windflix US and UK are not working out for me. Maybe Netflix team is catching up with the VPN usage.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2018, 03:47 PM »
Using a commercial VPN service to access Netflix, Hulu, etc is always going to be a game of cat and mouse, the sheer volume of traffic coming from a few IPs is always going to raise a red flag.

Try sending support a message so they can see about getting it sorted.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2018, 03:30 AM »
Probably doesn't help that big sites like ScienceAlert were also selling Windscribe access, so their service is faaaaar more known about than it really should be lol

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Probably doesn't help that big sites like ScienceAlert were also selling Windscribe access, so their service is faaaaar more known about than it really should be lol

More to do with how often they change exit IPs because it happens to all VPN/SmartDNS providers, some are just more proactive in swapping/changing IPs.

It's why I use cheap VPS's, a couple of users from a single IP compared to (many) thousands over a proportionally smaller number of IP addresses.